Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canada, visa's and criminal convictions.

Canada, visa's and criminal convictions.

Old Jan 21st 2012, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

molly666 will become famous soon enoughmolly666 will become famous soon enough
Default Canada, visa's and criminal convictions.

I have a conviction from 1989 for Dwelling Burglary as well as an Affray charge from 1995. Since then I have remained offence free and am currently employed as a Probation Officer (they'll take anyone in ).

I was wishing to visit Canada this June and was uncertain if I would be allowed entry. It appears that I need a Visa due to the convictions but does anyone know if I would be permanently barred? If not, how would I go about applying for a Visa?

Many thanks.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada, visa's and criminal convictions.

Burglary in a dwelling in Canada carries a life sentence imprisonment as per
348 (1)(d) of the Criminal Code of Canada and therefore inadmissible into Canada under section 36(1)(b) of IRPA.
I suggest you read this link if thinking of visiting Canada
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/op20-eng.pdf

If not a dwelling its still considered a serious offence under 36(1)(b) as the punishment is still a term of imprisonment not exceeding 10 years.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the quick reply

Does this mean a trip to London? I'm already off next week to try for a USA Visa, might be able to kill two birds whilst I'm down there.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

All applications for TRP's are dealt with by application only. Im pretty sure they do not entertain walk in applications as its a rather long process.
Personally Id be sending in an application package
Read this link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/f...issibility.asp
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Up to $1000, with no guarantee, is fairly steep by any measure. They've been taking lessons from our Government in fleecing people.

My bad I suppose.

Still, it's been 18 years since I was last in trouble, have gained qualifications and a good job. (Better get myself a Saturday one just to pay for this).

Once again, thanks you very much for your help, it is much appreciated
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 3:32 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by molly666
I have a conviction from 1989 for Dwelling Burglary
we was burgled in the mid 80's, or should i say some frikin scum bag low life, robbed my house in Blackpool.

He/she took my kids xmas prezzies, turtles lol, and our vcr. It left us feeling vunrable, pissed off and just plain scared to leave the house and go to work, but we were unable to afford to move house.

Can i ask the OP, why did you choose to burgle a house, drugs? Kicks? and what made you change and become a better person.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

The usual things that I hear on a daily basis. Poor parental control, poverty, (quite literally) a lack of food, alcoholic parents, wife beating step-father'S'. That was the beginning, after that I developed a '***** it' attitude; in short I was aware of all of my rights but none of my responsibilites!

On release from prison, my Probation Officer went out of her way to get me accomodation with an aunt who put me on the straight and narrow. I see my job now as both a pleasure and a pennance. If I can help one (and I have), then it's one less victim and one person who can go on to become a valued member of society.

Despite all of the paperwork, I really, really enjoy my job. We do make a difference and I can assure people that we are not the sandal wearing, Guardian reading Liberals that the media portray us as.

On top of that I can see when someone is speaking bullsh*t from a mile away
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you are a UK citizen you dont need a visa to visit. If asked about criminality you must be honest with the examining officer. Knowing you are inadmissible I will let your consience be your guide as to making an application for rehabilitation or a TRP knowing that you can be refused entry if you just turn up at a POE.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Going to apply regardless. Hopefully my honesty will not be my undoing, if so, I've only myself to blame. The $1000 'fee' does stick in my throat but that is a consequence of my actions rather than Canada's fault. As I have said before, that was then, this is now. Two completely different people with different values. Hopefully I can convince the US Embassy of the same next week. Does anyone know if I can enter Canada on a US Visa if my point of origin is the US and departure is in Canada?
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 5:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by molly666
Does anyone know if I can enter Canada on a US Visa if my point of origin is the US and departure is in Canada?
You can't use a US visa to enter Canada, it would be for the US only.

Just checking, but presume you are aware that criminal rehab applications can take a year? It's just that you mentioned earlier in the thread going over in June, but if you're inadmissible to Canada you won't be able to go by then.

You could try an 'info only' application to see if you are inadmissible or not, rather than paying the fee, waiting a year etc, only to find out you didn't need it in the first place. That's what I would do if I were you, particularly as your conviction was so long ago.

Good luck.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As long as in transit you should be ok though you can still be examined by CBSA and if found inadmissible be dealt with by us.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

admissiblebrit will become famous soon enough

Do the for info only application if your sentance was less than 2.5 years then your conviction was under the rehabilitation of offenders act 1974 and is now spent.

as stated by immigration " Pervious jurisprudence, namely the Burgon ruling immigration officers are generally instucted to access uk convictions based upon the ROA 1974"

Don't go throwing away $1000 it's pontless they'll send you a letter informing you you're not inadmissible to Canada just take that along with you to the POE. I applied for rehab paid the freight got this nice letter back saying i was no longer inadmissible since 5 years before i applied for rehab (what a kicker eh?) and because of this my application was refused. They didnt refuse to take the money though lol. Oh well ya live and learn
Old Jan 26th 2012, 2:51 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
As long as in transit you should be ok though you can still be examined by CBSA and if found inadmissible be dealt with by us.
The OP wanted to visit, I don't think transiting and staying airside is what he had in mind. Being refused entry would not be a good thing either.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Aviator
The OP wanted to visit, I don't think transiting and staying airside is what he had in mind. Being refused entry would not be a good thing either.
Does anyone know if I can enter Canada on a US Visa if my point of origin is the US and departure is in Canada?

This was the bit that got me thinking of in transit
Old Jan 26th 2012, 4:49 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian

This was the bit that got me thinking of in transit
I guess it would be a visit, albeit a short one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.