Canada Visa options

Old Jan 1st 2012, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of
Default Canada Visa options

Hi,
I'm a 32 yr old IT professional having 10 years of full-time experience, living in Australia. After doing some research I found out that there is no way for skilled IT professionals to apply for Canadian PR.

1. However, I was wondering if having Australian PR will open up any path to qualify for Canadian PR.

2. Is there any route through which I can apply for canadian PR visa.

3. Any provincial nomination program that favours my case.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada Visa options

Try this link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.asp
Old Jan 1st 2012, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Thanks, I found that my skill is listed as an exception from HRDSC letter in this link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/special-tech.asp
But it still says that an employer needs to sponsor me for work permit. Is there any way to arrange a work permit independently without hassling an employer (I believe its highly unlikely that IT employers in Canada sponsor foreign workers as they can't wait a year to get the resource)
Old Jan 1st 2012, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I assume you read the Important para at the top regarding the simplified process ended on 30 Sep 2010.
An employer still has to employ you rather than you seeking the job independantly.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 4:40 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you want to leave Australia?
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

MB offers an option through the PNP ...but I have no clue about IT and the demand in MB. If you find something on the jobbank or similar methods in Manitoba to show you would be employable, go for it
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Why do you want to leave Australia?
Excellent question. Had it not being felt lonely (because most of my relatives and extended family lives in Canada), I would have stayed in Aus. After doing some reserach on Canadian job portals, I feel Aus has much more jobs to offer in my domain i.e. Microsoft dev, so I need to postpone my decision a while.

Originally Posted by manitobain
MB offers an option through the PNP ...but I have no clue about IT and the demand in MB. If you find something on the jobbank or similar methods in Manitoba to show you would be employable, go for it
That's an option but I think PNP may be a risk because of low IT jobs in the country area. Want to stick to Ontario only, if possible.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

ributnaga is on a distinguished road

I am in a similar situation to you. I am an IT professional as well (specifically Web Developer mainly for the Advertisement/Marketing Industry). I am going through the process now though I am not sure yet 100% if I am going to get in.

I was looking into PR application to Canada and also found that as an IT professional it is kinda hard (or you just have to wait that 2-5 years to process it).

But I now have a job offer, so I am about to move to Vancouver once all my paperwork is sorted. The visa route I took was the Temporary Work Visa route.

Are you a British Citizen or one that is exempt from TRV? Right now my employer is doing my Labor Market Opinion (LMO). Once I get a positive response, I should be able to just straightaway fly to Vancouver and get my Temporary Work Visa at the airport since I do not require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) for visitors. Once in Canada, then I can begin my PR application locally.

I got the job mainly from being determined and doing alot of follow ups and meeting people in person. I had previously made a holiday trip to Vancouver and scouted out some potential employers. Some were nice enough to invite me for an informal talk while I was there. After many months of back and forth emails, I had finally got a job offer from one of them.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ributnaga
I am in a similar situation to you. I am an IT professional as well (specifically Web Developer mainly for the Advertisement/Marketing Industry). I am going through the process now though I am not sure yet 100% if I am going to get in.

I was looking into PR application to Canada and also found that as an IT professional it is kinda hard (or you just have to wait that 2-5 years to process it).

But I now have a job offer, so I am about to move to Vancouver once all my paperwork is sorted. The visa route I took was the Temporary Work Visa route.

Are you a British Citizen or one that is exempt from TRV? Right now my employer is doing my Labor Market Opinion (LMO). Once I get a positive response, I should be able to just straightaway fly to Vancouver and get my Temporary Work Visa at the airport since I do not require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) for visitors. Once in Canada, then I can begin my PR application locally.

I got the job mainly from being determined and doing alot of follow ups and meeting people in person. I had previously made a holiday trip to Vancouver and scouted out some potential employers. Some were nice enough to invite me for an informal talk while I was there. After many months of back and forth emails, I had finally got a job offer from one of them.
Thanks, that seems an inspiring effort Good onya! Considering there are downsides to the TRV viz. you need to arrange your own medical insurance, your visa is linked to employer, no govt benefits, and other issues. I will rather wait a few years and go on solid grounds, in my case I'm in a pretty comfortable possie in Aussie, so need to do some soul-searching before risking it.. (as there is no easy way for an ITer to goto Canada)

Thanks everyone for the replies!!
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 9:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
Thanks, that seems an inspiring effort Good onya! Considering there are downsides to the TRV viz. you need to arrange your own medical insurance, your visa is linked to employer, no govt benefits, and other issues.
Do you mean TWP (Temporary Work Permit) rather than TRV?

I'm not sure why you think you would need your own medical insurance, wouldn't be eligible for benefits, etc? That's not correct. You'd be eligible for provincial healthcare the same as any other worker, and also for benefits such as child benefit etc.

Although you are right that a TWP ties you to your employer until you get PR.