are canada/usa really that good?

Old Aug 25th 2001, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

brynn is an unknown quantity at this point

after reading all the postings here, i feel i must ask:

1)are things so bad in england that you guys gotto emigrate?
2)ok, usa sounds great, but look at all the violence, drugs, workaholic regime, materialistic aims.....by that i mean for eg. health insurance-if you dont have cover, nobody wants to know (apart from the mediocre third world state system), if you've got good employment, well and good-soon as you're out of a job, nobody wants to know you; there is no safety net for the unemployed (in that sense, it hasnt changed very much since the days of the Old West, every man for himself); like some of my friends in the usa tell me--what good is it owning a boat or RV when you never get the time to use them!
3)canada sounds good too, but its such a new economy that living there is like living in the third world; i've lived there so i can comment; eg there's a tool road being built in ontario, but all the toll money will go to the quebec govt as it was built with their labour; the double whammy of PST/GST-everyone i know in ontario complains constantly about this; look at the postal system there-complete crap compared to the Royal Mail in england; outdated unionised workforce-you cant breathe without consulting the unions; high tax regime-you spend half a year earning money that goes to the state, the rest of the years wages you thankfully get to keep!
so what good are these things, if you just dont have any spiritual/moral/financial contentment? i'd rather live in england and put up with the yobo/racist culture, english small mindedness(i'm from dundee originally!!),so-called high cost of living,etc. especially now that firms are kicking out staff by the thousands-we have a little of it here but in general the economy is vibrant. and our testicles dont freeze up in the extreme cold, at least!
Old Aug 26th 2001, 2:23 am
Blindog

>
    >

if by "the third world" you mean countries like India or Haiti then - despite
your claim - I find it hard to believe that you actually lived in the same Canada
I live in!

The country I live in has a highly evolved economy with high wages and a well
educated labour force; it has an established and honest judicial system; it has an
excellent level of service - be it retail or banking and above all it is as free
and democratic country you could ever wish for. In relation to its population it
accepts more immigrants than the U.S.. Australia or any other country. Beautiful
nature and rich natural resources abound! The standard of living is higher than in
most other countries and undoubtedly higher than in the U.K., as many in this NG
have already attested.

If your posts are meant to be provocative I guess you are successful, as witnessed by
this response. I fully defend your right to air your views in any way you see fit but
this forum may not be the ideal place for Canada-bashing!

BD

Old Aug 26th 2001, 4:36 am
Just Joined

brynn is an unknown quantity at this point

no, honestly man, i'm not trying to do any canada-bashing or usa-bashing....i'm just trying to present my views as to what i saw when i was there in those countries, thats all!
reason why i've put these views on this ng is also to tell other immigrants what they may face if they decide to come there. also, it may seem funny why i AM posting on this ng if i have lived there, but after reading a lot of other postings, all i hear is how good it may be there; you should always prepare yourself for the bad times, too! i mean, if its so good in canada, then why oh why do the majority of immigrants there just wait for their citizenship and then run over the border into usa to work/live?
another example: when i was job-hunting there, no damn employer would have me cos i never had any canadian experience, despite years in england and usa; it was only by extreme good luck that i landed a job in toronto thru a friend!
here in england, at least i dont find that sort of thing-nobody asks you "do you have any british experience" here, do they!?
Old Aug 26th 2001, 1:18 pm
R Obert

[usenetquote2]>> 3)canada sounds good too, but its such a new economy that living there is like[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> living in the third world[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

The U.S. added 36 million people to it's population in the 1990's, a majority of
which were immigrants from Mexico. Canada added almost 20% of it's population from
immigration during the same period?

Robert

( modify address for return email )

Old Aug 26th 2001, 1:49 pm
Andrew Miller

Population growth doesn't equal the number of legal immigrants.

US takes in about 400,000 to 500,000 legal immigrants annually - it is their maximum
annual quota. With the US population of 270 million it is barely .0018% of their
population.

Canada takes about 250,000 legal immigrants every year with no maximum limit. With
the population of little bit over 30 million annual number of immigrants is equal to
0.008% of total population. So, Canada accepts every year about 4.5 times more
immigrants per capita of country's population than US.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia

To schedule Confidential Phone Consultation send email to [email protected] (delete
REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before sending email)

>
[usenetquote2]> >> 3)canada sounds good too, but its such a new economy that living there is like[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> living in the third world[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >if by "the third world" you mean countries like India or Haiti then - despite your[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >claim - I find it hard to believe that you actually lived in the same Canada I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >live in![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >The country I live in has a highly evolved economy with high wages and a well[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >educated labour force; it has an established and honest judicial system; it has an[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >excellent level of service - be it retail or banking and above all it is as free[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >and democratic country you could ever wish for. In relation to its population it[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >accepts more immigrants than the U.S.. Australia or any other country. Beautiful[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >nature and rich natural resources[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Aug 26th 2001, 3:42 pm
Serguei Patchkovskii

US takes in about 400,000 to 500,000 legal immigrants annually - it is their
    >
    >

>
    >
    >

Andrew,

Your point is good, but your math isn't: 500,000 out of 270,000,000 makes .19%, not
0.0018%. Similarly, 250,000 out of 30,000,000 makes 0.83%, not .008%.

/Serge.P

---
Home page: http://www.cobalt.chem.ucalgary.ca/ps/

Old Aug 26th 2001, 4:32 pm
Andrew Miller

I stand corrected Serge, I didn't realize until now that I just used decimals with %
without moving comma 2 digits to the right. Thanks for catching this up.

--

../..

To schedule Confidential Phone Consultation send email to [email protected] (delete

>
their
    >
    >
    >
    >
limit.
    >
immigrants
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Aug 26th 2001, 4:36 pm
Dave

brynn, are you in the UK, USA or Canada?

brynn wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >

No, one can survive, but that wasn't good enough for me and my family. We now have a
varied and fulfilling life.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Perhaps your USA experience would be more welcome in a USA newsgroup. In this group
it's wasted effort.

>
    >

You really do sound like a stupid person whan you say such things.

>

Your comments are crap, mixed with crap, with a sprinkling of more crap for
good luck.

>
    >
    >

PST + GST is less than the UK VAT!

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Anyone in this newsgroup that is considering moving to Canada, spend your time
reading other posts that give a more intellectually balanced view of your potential
new home. brynn is very sad.

>
    >

Old Aug 26th 2001, 4:45 pm
Dave

brynn wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>
    >

This statement is utter rubbish!

>
    >

Just listen to yourself - moan, moan, moan. I wouldn't give someone that had anything
less than a positive attitude a job.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Aug 26th 2001, 5:31 pm
Gary L. Dare

With the US population of 270 million

Didn't US Census 2000 come up with a number of 285 Million, 10% growth from 1990's
number of 260 Million (considered a severe undercount)?

http://www.msnbc.com/news/census2000_front.asp

With estimates of the uncounted illegal population, that number soars to around 300
Million or about 10X Canada.

--
Gary L. Dare [email protected]

"Je me souviens"

Old Aug 26th 2001, 6:26 pm
Andrew Miller

In that case the ratio is even bigger - Canada takes annually 5 times more legal
immigrants per capita of country's population than the US.

--

../..

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Aug 27th 2001, 11:20 am
R Obert

>

Ummm ... no shit bucko. Did you think someone said that, or you just fabricated this,
so that you could rebut in a smartass way?

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Mr Miller ( or should I say Mr. know it all ),

You have left out the massive amnesty granted in 1986, where numbers well above and
beyond the legal limits were legalized. Add to that chain migration ( relatives of
legalized immigrants gaining citizenship themselves ), and I can assure you in the
1980's and 1990s, the US far exceeded that of Canada. 36 Million entries to the US in
the 1990s, regardless how you want to spin the facts, means that on a PER CAPITA
BASIS ( caps meant so your not challenged by any misunderstand implications ), the US
has admitted more immigrants than Canada.

You oughta stick to what you know.

Robert

( modify address for return email )

Old Aug 28th 2001, 1:15 am
Tim Taylor

[usenetquote2]> > look at the postal system there-complete crap compared to the Royal Mail in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > england; outdated unionised workforce-you cant breathe without consulting the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > unions; high tax regime-you spend half a year earning money that goes to the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > state, the rest of the years wages you thankfully get to keep! so what good are[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > these things, if you just dont have any spiritual/moral/financial contentment?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > i'd rather live in england and put up with the yobo/racist culture, english[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > small mindedness(i'm from dundee originally!!),so-called high cost of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > living,etc. especially now that firms are kicking out staff by the thousands-we[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > have a little of it here but in general the economy is vibrant. and our[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > testicles dont freeze up in the extreme cold, at least![/usenetquote2]
    >

Er, and so the Royal Mail doesn't have a union? Er and the Royal Mail doesn't ever
strike??? Bullshit mate. An estimated 3 million letters failed to be delivered last
year. The PO is currently in on the verge of breakdown - they can't cope, which is
why they are thinking of privatising it. It's in the same state as the health service
(which DOES feel like a third world experience. My ER (AandE) is disguisting) and the
public transport and the road infractructure etc etc, underfunded and underinvested.

>
time
    >
    >
    >
Well said sir.

[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]

Old Aug 29th 2001, 2:02 pm
Jay

>
    >

Seriously, have you ever been to the third world? I came from Manila and I have
worked in Riyadh before finally immigrating here to Canada and all I can say is there
is no comparison. If you have the skills and work hard you will be rewarded here.

>

Okay, winter can be harsh but you learn to adjust. Also because of winter, you learn
to appreciate these seasons more. Spring, summer and fall here are great. I ride my
bicycle from April (still cold but I have adjusted) up to middle of October... the
rolling hills north of Toronto are a great place to go cycling. Lots of parks too
which you can enjoy with the family.

>
    >

I could have worked in the US (via TN Visa) if I wanted to but I have decided to make
Canada my permanent place of residence. People are friendly here, its generally
peaceful, and as I mentioned earlier, hard work is rewarded too. This is why me and
my family have decided this is going to be our home.

jay

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >