Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

In Canada Spousal Sponsorship: Decision made - eeeek!!!

Wikiposts

In Canada Spousal Sponsorship: Decision made - eeeek!!!

Old Feb 6th 2008, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default In Canada Spousal Sponsorship: Decision made - eeeek!!!

Hi all,

Finally, after submitting my application at the start of Nov 2006, I got a letter from Vegreville today saying that the processing has been completed, and that my local CIC centre will contact me concerning my permanent resident status.

The letter then goes on to make reference to "at the time of your appointment..." Is this what I've heard other applicants referring to as a landing interview?? How likely is it that I could still be turned down? I know no-one can really answer that, but am I right in thinking that if there had already been any obvious grounds for refusal, they'd have turned me down by letter?

Also, they state that "a final decision concerning the granting of permanent residence status will be made at that time"...does that mean that, if the Immigration Officer says yes, I don't actually have to leave Canada to land, as I'd previously assumed?

Thanks!
Alex
Old Feb 6th 2008, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In Canada Spousal Sponsorship: Decision made - eeeek!!!

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
...does that mean that, if the Immigration Officer says yes, I don't actually have to leave Canada to land, as I'd previously assumed?

Thanks!
Alex
In-Canada spousal/partners don't have to leave the country to become landed, it happens at their "interview".
Old Feb 6th 2008, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
In-Canada spousal/partners don't have to leave the country to become landed, it happens at their "interview".
Thanks Biiiiink I can't believe I hadn't picked up on that earlier in the process :embaressed_smile:
Old Feb 7th 2008, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

wow congrats!!

and wooo hoooo~~~ for all inLAND Spouse Aplicants..they are moving them along fast now!!!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 5:33 am
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Finally, after submitting my application at the start of Nov 2006, I got a letter from Vegreville today saying that the processing has been completed, and that my local CIC centre will contact me concerning my permanent resident status.

The letter then goes on to make reference to "at the time of your appointment..." Is this what I've heard other applicants referring to as a landing interview?? How likely is it that I could still be turned down? I know no-one can really answer that, but am I right in thinking that if there had already been any obvious grounds for refusal, they'd have turned me down by letter?

Also, they state that "a final decision concerning the granting of permanent residence status will be made at that time"...does that mean that, if the Immigration Officer says yes, I don't actually have to leave Canada to land, as I'd previously assumed?

Thanks!
Alex
November 2006?? Don't you mean 2007????
Old Feb 7th 2008, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by geo4
November 2006?? Don't you mean 2007????
Ermmm, no, why?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
wow congrats!!

and wooo hoooo~~~ for all inLAND Spouse Aplicants..they are moving them along fast now!!!
Thanks Maple Leaf! I can't help feeling nervous about the interview thingy, but I'm sure it'll be a formality...

Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:35 am
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Ermmm, no, why?
That's a long wait isn't it??
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:01 am
Just Joined

Wacharapo is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: In Canada Spousal Sponsorship: Decision made - eeeek!!!

Thanks Maple Leaf! I can't help feeling nervous about the interview thingy, but I'm sure it'll be a formality...

sure u will but dont worry, its just take about 5 minutes,
u sign here and there, answered 3 questions, and voila, u are PR.
I got my PR card after 18 days I become a canadian PR.

Received form from MICC - August 3, 2007
Post form to MICC - August 8, 2007
MICC received the form - August 9, 2007
Received the Certificat de sélection du Quebec - 19 September 2007
- AIP & Desicion made - 24 October 2007
- Received letter for final interview - 21 December
- Landing Interview COPR - 10 January 2008.
- Received a Resident Permenant Card - 28 January 2008

GOING HOME TO THAILAND IN 3 WEEKS -
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

That's a long wait isn't it??
Not especially - about right for inland. Maybe you're mixing it up with spouses applying via London, which is much shorter? That's why any spousal class PR applicant with half a brain (i.e. not me!) submits their application via London, even if they've already moved over to Canada. I just never knew that was possible until I read it here, which was too late.

I got my AIP right within their estimated timescales and the final background checking stage took maybe a month or two longer than the most straightforward case would have done because they requested I send fingerprints, which apparently means I share a name with a Canadian crim'
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wacharapo
sure u will but dont worry, its just take about 5 minutes,
u sign here and there, answered 3 questions, and voila, u are PR.
I got my PR card after 18 days I become a canadian PR.
Thanks, that's reassuring - and Congrat's to you too!!!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:30 am
Swollen Member

Not especially - about right for inland. Maybe you're mixing it up with spouses applying via London, which is much shorter? That's why any spousal class PR applicant with half a brain (i.e. not me!) submits their application via London, even if they've already moved over to Canada. I just never knew that was possible until I read it here, which was too late.

I got my AIP right within their estimated timescales and the final background checking stage took maybe a month or two longer than the most straightforward case would have done because they requested I send fingerprints, which apparently means I share a name with a Canadian crim'
Oh got ya!!

Congrats. how long was the AIP etc? It must have been hard not being able to work.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:54 am
whm
Forum Regular

whm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant future

Let me add my congratulations!! You are done! The "interview" will be a formality, so book yourself a reservation at a nice restaurant for afterwards!

whm
Old Feb 7th 2008, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh got ya!!

Congrats. how long was the AIP etc? It must have been hard not being able to work.
It wasn't really a problem because I wasn't planning to go back to work until our youngest (he's 4 yrs old) starts school in September anyway.

I'm not familiar with putting timelines in my sig. so I'll just type it out here:

Vegreville received my inland spousal application on 8th Nov 2006 and began processing it on 2nd Jan 2007.

I received AIP on June 25th 2007.

Fingerprints were requested in mid October, which e-CAS said they received on October 23rd.

My e-CAS updated on 21st Jan saying "We received the requested information on January 21, 2008. Thank you for providing the information." but I hadn't actually sent them anything, so I'm guessing that was saying they'd got the fingerprint check results from the RCMP.

Then on 31st Jan 2008 e-CAS updated to decision made and yesterday (6th Feb) I got the letter about processing being complete; saying that I'll contacted by my local CIC office.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by whm
Let me add my congratulations!! You are done! The "interview" will be a formality, so book yourself a reservation at a nice restaurant for afterwards!

whm
Thanks

Find a nice restaurant in Prince George...hmmm...I'm up for a challenge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.