Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

In-Canada Skilled Worker Application - RCMP Clearance?

In-Canada Skilled Worker Application - RCMP Clearance?

Old Apr 14th 2005, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

pjb001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default In-Canada Skilled Worker Application - RCMP Clearance?

Hi,

I am currently working in Canada - 18 months into a three year work permit. I applied for PR through Buffalo as a Skilled Worker in May 2004, and recently received an 'interview waiver/request for medicals/no additional documents required at this time' letter.

Although I have had the medical, I was wondering whether I will be required to obtain police clearance certificates for Canada based on the following:

The application for PR (Skilled worker) Guide states:

'You and your family members must provide us with a police certificate issued by the authorities of each country in which you have lived for six (6) months or more since reaching the age of 18.'

The Buffalo Specific Guide states:

Do not request a police certificate from Hong Kong, the United States or Canada until you are instructed to do so by a visa office.

So my questions:

1. Will I need to provide an RCMP clearance (I am aware this takes 6 months or more);
2. If so, when are CIC likely to request this given my Interview Waiver/No additional docs required letter;
3. Given my current application status, can anyone in a similar position confirm the likely wait time from now for the visa to be issued?

Thanks!
Old Apr 14th 2005, 9:33 pm
Can I go now!?

OzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really nice
Default Re: In-Canada Skilled Worker Application - RCMP Clearance?

Originally Posted by pjb001
Hi,

I am currently working in Canada - 18 months into a three year work permit. I applied for PR through Buffalo as a Skilled Worker in May 2004, and recently received an 'interview waiver/request for medicals/no additional documents required at this time' letter.

Although I have had the medical, I was wondering whether I will be required to obtain police clearance certificates for Canada based on the following:

The application for PR (Skilled worker) Guide states:

'You and your family members must provide us with a police certificate issued by the authorities of each country in which you have lived for six (6) months or more since reaching the age of 18.'

The Buffalo Specific Guide states:

Do not request a police certificate from Hong Kong, the United States or Canada until you are instructed to do so by a visa office.

So my questions:

1. Will I need to provide an RCMP clearance (I am aware this takes 6 months or more);
2. If so, when are CIC likely to request this given my Interview Waiver/No additional docs required letter;
3. Given my current application status, can anyone in a similar position confirm the likely wait time from now for the visa to be issued?

Thanks!
I thought seriously about answering this yesterday but I had hoped that an expert would answer it. I don't know for certain that they will ask for the RCMP clearance but I would think that it would be highly likely. If I was in your situation I would be organising it ASAP. You will only be charged for the taking of the fingerprints but not for the processing of the application. It cost me $26.50 to have the Canmore office to take my prints.

Incidentally I have submitted an application for a RCMP clearance. This is despite the Sydney office having similar instructions as yours when I submitted my application.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

pjb001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: In-Canada Skilled Worker Application - RCMP Clearance?

Originally Posted by OzRob
I thought seriously about answering this yesterday but I had hoped that an expert would answer it. I don't know for certain that they will ask for the RCMP clearance but I would think that it would be highly likely. If I was in your situation I would be organising it ASAP. You will only be charged for the taking of the fingerprints but not for the processing of the application. It cost me $26.50 to have the Canmore office to take my prints.

Incidentally I have submitted an application for a RCMP clearance. This is despite the Sydney office having similar instructions as yours when I submitted my application.

Thanks OzRob.

Can any experts comment? Given that my medicals were done over 2 months ago, with an RCMP clearance time of 6 months, would it be worth making an application now?