Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

canada skilled migration programme

canada skilled migration programme

Old Jun 18th 2008, 11:32 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: canada skilled migration programme

Originally Posted by benjy25
Changes will not directly affect the backlog of applications submitted prior to Feb 27 2008. There is nothing in the amendment what will clear the backlog - it won't just grow anymore, that's it.

If it is not being added to then it will shrink by default over time will it not? At the same speed relative to where any inividual application now sits, granted. What will they do when the backlog is eventually cleared do you think?
It will shrink over time, but never at the rate you hope, unless (1) CIC stops accepting new applications and (2) visa quotas for federal SW are returned to pre-2008 level.

CIC will process cases with occupations not in demand from the backlog only if and when there are any visa quotas left after processing cases with occupations in high demand. With shrinking quotas for federal SW class and more cases with arranged employment being submitted there will not be enough visas left for high demand occupations anyway to see real shrinkage of the backlog.

Note that backlog will likely grow anyway if I read madam Minister correctly - Applications not processed in a given year could be held for future consideration or returned with a full refund to the applicant, who would be welcome to reapply at another time.

I will be surprised (I was in the past) if we'll have Instructions and high demand list very fast as CIC doesn't need to do anything in the hurry now - once law passed it will apply to all cases submitted on and after Feb 27 2008, regardless how long it will take now to create and implement all what Minister will have power to do.

That sounds about right!! I feel sorry for those applying after Feb 08 as it seems unlikely they will ever have their cases processed, unless they find work or an alternative route in.
Those lucky with occupations in high demand will be processed, providing that they make the cut to allocated visas quota for their respective occupation (or subcategory/group of occupations, whatever it will be). If they won't make the cut then their applications will be returned or held over for better times, thus adding to the backlog.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Jun 18th 2008 at 11:36 am.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

timu12 is a jewel in the roughtimu12 is a jewel in the roughtimu12 is a jewel in the roughtimu12 is a jewel in the rough

is the backlog ballon ever gonna blow?
Old Jun 18th 2008, 12:45 pm

In my 17 years in immigration business we had several Ministers, different selection programs, many changes (major and minor) to immigration rules, that - if were implemented and executed as designed, intended and promised - would have reduced the backlog and streamlined the process long ago.

So far, due to wrong implementation, poor execution, politically motivated changes, etc. (add as many reasons as you can imagine here) backlog keeps growing.

Only time will show what will happen.

But one thing you may take to the bank - if for any reason we have an election and Liberals (alone or in coalition with NDP) will create next government and return to using immigration as voters grabbing tool then our immigration system will collapse.

Many would argue that system already collapsed, that current changes are "too little, too late" and they are not as radical as needed - I tend to somehow agree with them.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Jun 18th 2008 at 1:01 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of light

Hi benjy25,

You make the following point:

"This is interesting as most of those in high demand occupations would surely have had the sense to search out job opportunitites themselves by now? I wonder how much difference that will make."

You may not realise that just because someone has an occupation that is in demand in Canada, it is not simply a matter of just finding a job and getting out there quicker. For some occupations, and I am talking specifically about Health Care Professionals, qualifications from the UK are not recognised and there is a substantial amount of retraining / requalification to do to be recognised by the regulating bodies for those professions within Canada, some of which cannot actually be completed until the individual has achieved a "Landed" status. Therefore it is a case of Chicken and Egg when it comes to trying to find job opportunities..

I just wanted to point out that it is not just about having the "sense to search out job opportunities"
Best Regards
Tim

Replies in situ.

That sounds about right!! I feel sorry for those applying after Feb 08 as it seems unlikely they will ever have their cases processed, unless they find work or an alternative route in.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 2:23 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bubbe2005
oh i know the rules, i know that you shouldnt be wasting time waiting for new rules and laws to come in.

I have more than 67 points, i have all the required docs, and I have the money to pay for it. What more do you or Canada want?

Sorry but this is no waiting game for me especially it takes 4 years to process the forms.... no thanks

Better do it now before it'll be 10 years to process and before the points go up!

So, just go about your business and I'll do what I have to do
If I may butt in here - your best bet would be to take stock and do some planning first. As Andrew says, its not about points anymore. They passed new legislation earlier this month that basically gives CIC power to prioritise applications as they see fit and so they are probably not going to bother processing applications for people who dont have job offers.

When do you actually want to move to Canada? Do you actually want to wait 4 years or is that timeframe based on how long you expect it to take? Which province do you plan to move to? If it is a province that has a Provincial Nominee Program you should really forget making your skilled worker application to London and figure out how you can get in via a PNP program. Nova Scotia for instance has PNP programs for people who plan to start a business or have a job offer. Both would get you here in a year or less. So in that case your first focus would be on finding a job or developing a good business plan and only then start worrying about submitting forms. It probably seems like you're wasting time not putting the forms into London now but actually spending a few months setting yourself up to go through a PNP program could save you several years of waiting (with no guarantee of success anyway)!
Old Jun 18th 2008, 4:59 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by NSpaul
If I may butt in here - your best bet would be to take stock and do some planning first. As Andrew says, its not about points anymore. They passed new legislation earlier this month that basically gives CIC power to prioritise applications as they see fit and so they are probably not going to bother processing applications for people who dont have job offers.

When do you actually want to move to Canada? Do you actually want to wait 4 years or is that timeframe based on how long you expect it to take? Which province do you plan to move to? If it is a province that has a Provincial Nominee Program you should really forget making your skilled worker application to London and figure out how you can get in via a PNP program. Nova Scotia for instance has PNP programs for people who plan to start a business or have a job offer. Both would get you here in a year or less. So in that case your first focus would be on finding a job or developing a good business plan and only then start worrying about submitting forms. It probably seems like you're wasting time not putting the forms into London now but actually spending a few months setting yourself up to go through a PNP program could save you several years of waiting (with no guarantee of success anyway)!
Watch what happens when the "list of high demand" jobs are released. For example if it is decided that chefs are in high demand, all of a sudden everyone will be a chef and chef's schools will be springing up left and right. Basically that is what happened with the 76 Immigration Act that gave points to jobs in high demand.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

benjy25 will become famous soon enoughbenjy25 will become famous soon enough

Yes, sorry Tim, you are quite right. I had forgotten that the transferral of qualifications is not always straightforward.

Originally Posted by Tim Steer
Hi benjy25,

You make the following point:

"This is interesting as most of those in high demand occupations would surely have had the sense to search out job opportunitites themselves by now? I wonder how much difference that will make."

You may not realise that just because someone has an occupation that is in demand in Canada, it is not simply a matter of just finding a job and getting out there quicker. For some occupations, and I am talking specifically about Health Care Professionals, qualifications from the UK are not recognised and there is a substantial amount of retraining / requalification to do to be recognised by the regulating bodies for those professions within Canada, some of which cannot actually be completed until the individual has achieved a "Landed" status. Therefore it is a case of Chicken and Egg when it comes to trying to find job opportunities..

I just wanted to point out that it is not just about having the "sense to search out job opportunities"
Best Regards
Tim
Old Jun 20th 2008, 4:43 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

This could be damned annoying for those people who applied after 27th Feb with a NOC in high demand occupation who don't want the process to speed up !!!

If my application was fast tracked and took less than 2 years I would have to withdraw..............unless of course I could 'land' on a two week 'holiday' return to UK for next year and then move across permanently......

Last edited by jimmydean; Jun 20th 2008 at 5:58 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of light

No worries buddy

Yes, sorry Tim, you are quite right. I had forgotten that the transferral of qualifications is not always straightforward.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

simeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
In my 17 years in immigration business we had several Ministers, different selection programs, many changes (major and minor) to immigration rules, that - if were implemented and executed as designed, intended and promised - would have reduced the backlog and streamlined the process long ago.

So far, due to wrong implementation, poor execution, politically motivated changes, etc. (add as many reasons as you can imagine here) backlog keeps growing.

Only time will show what will happen.

But one thing you may take to the bank - if for any reason we have an election and Liberals (alone or in coalition with NDP) will create next government and return to using immigration as voters grabbing tool then our immigration system will collapse.

Many would argue that system already collapsed, that current changes are "too little, too late" and they are not as radical as needed - I tend to somehow agree with them.
hi how much have you taken to the bank
Old Jun 21st 2008, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by simeongb
hi how much have you taken to the bank
huh?
Old Jun 21st 2008, 9:48 am
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

If you read other posts by the same person, you will soon realise that they are all the same - clueless, ignornat, unwilling to accept advice

as someone else mentioned on another post - its highly unlikley that he / she will know how to book the flights so canada will be safe a little longer!!!!!

In previous posts the person was arguing about going via BUNAC - now they are waiting for skilled worker app - hmmm wonder what went wrong!!!
Old Jun 21st 2008, 10:31 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tanah
If you read other posts by the same person, you will soon realise that they are all the same - clueless, ignornat, unwilling to accept advice

as someone else mentioned on another post - its highly unlikley that he / she will know how to book the flights so canada will be safe a little longer!!!!!

In previous posts the person was arguing about going via BUNAC - now they are waiting for skilled worker app - hmmm wonder what went wrong!!!
and they have spent sometime on the USA forum aswell, so I guess they are looking at all possible options at the moment