Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canada set to speed up Skilled Worker processing

Canada set to speed up Skilled Worker processing

Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

Alanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant future
Default Canada set to speed up Skilled Worker processing

I checked out a story from the emigrate2 newsletter that I sign up to. The article is below;

"The Government of Canada recently introduced legislative amendments to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act to modernise the immigration system in order to ensure that "families are reunited faster and skilled workers arrive sooner."

The announcement stated that "One of the challenges facing our immigration system today is the large number of people waiting in the queue. This is especially a problem in the Skilled Worker category, which makes up most of the backlog."

Under the proposed measures, Citizenship and Immigration Canada would have greater flexibility in processing new applications, especially from skilled workers.

The announcement continues: "The legislation is intended to provide greater flexibility in addressing a range of labour market needs. It will not apply to refugees and does not affect our objectives related to family reunification. Ultimately, this will result in reduced wait times and improved service. It will also help manage the growth of the backlog of applications."

As and when the legislation is passed, the new measures will apply to applications received on or after 27th February 2008. However, according to the announcement, those who applied prior to this date "will not be subject to the new measures and will be dealt with fairly under the existing rules.""

Sorry, but how exactly is this 'fair'? Unless i'm reading it wrong, someone who say, applies under the skilled worker class in March '08 may match a skill that is in need, or trigger some other element that then results in their application getting processed within a year or even months, but on the other hand, someone who applied in July '06 and has been waiting in the queue with the same credentials or skill doesn't get this option?

seems a bit backwards to me? I would be starting at the front of the queue and working back.

Has anyone else heard anything about this? It may not actually change much in reality however..
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada set to speed up Skilled Worker processing

discussed at length on here already. You might want to try the search function to check out the threads. Also, read ww.cic.gc.ca
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

Alanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant future

whoops my bad. A bit trigger happy there then.

appologies to all.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alanandson
whoops my bad. A bit trigger happy there then.

appologies to all.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=521862

Not sure a search would catch the title of this thread!

Welcome!