Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

in-canada landing - anyone done it?

in-canada landing - anyone done it?

Old May 18th 2009, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

sprucemoose is on a distinguished road
Default in-canada landing - anyone done it?

Has anyone successfully activated their PR status in Canada?

The link on the wiki regarding this alternative to flag-poling is dead, and I don't recall ever reading about anyone doing it.
Old May 18th 2009, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all
Smile Re: in-canada landing - anyone done it?

Hi,

if you do a search on the forum there are lots of people who do this, i believe you go to the border and on the usa side the border control reject you and this is because the Canada side activate your PR. please dont quote me on this but i have read up on people activating their PR by crossing the border and coming back..im sure more senior people will come to advise in a bit...good luck with your landing...

MR79
Old May 18th 2009, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to all
Default Re: in-canada landing - anyone done it?

MR79 - you are describing 'flagpoling', I think the OP is looking for 'in land' experiences - this is done in a local CIC office by appointment with no need to 'leave' Canada.
Old May 18th 2009, 9:37 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Nicola N-A
MR79 - you are describing 'flagpoling', I think the OP is looking for 'in land' experiences - this is done in a local CIC office by appointment with no need to 'leave' Canada.

Right, you phone the call centre and they will make an appointment with your local CIC for you to "land". Depending on the local CIC the appointment would be between 2 and 8 weeks.
Old May 19th 2009, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

kiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Right, you phone the call centre and they will make an appointment with your local CIC for you to "land". Depending on the local CIC the appointment would be between 2 and 8 weeks.
That's right unless you 'land' at the Victoria office in which you can show up without an appointment only on Tuesday's, if I remember the day correctly - we did that back in November 2008.

It saved us the hassle of going over to Washington State and coming back.
Old May 19th 2009, 4:30 am
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

if you can get through to the call centre that is.......you go through a whole load of different options and just when you think your waiting on the line for an operator, an automated voice says......'all of our operators are busy at this time, please call back'......

way easier to 'flagpole......could take minutes to do and not weeks.....
Old May 19th 2009, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Monkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kiton6
That's right unless you 'land' at the Victoria office in which you can show up without an appointment only on Tuesday's, if I remember the day correctly - we did that back in November 2008.
Ooo, interesting, thanks!! This option would be very handy. We'll definitely give this a try when (if!) our time comes.
Old May 19th 2009, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

If I could do this at my local CIC, then I might just go for it then. Is there any list of offices that provide this service?

It sounds less nerve-wracking.
Old May 19th 2009, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

I think while it's more convenient probably (except for the 3 months wait in some cases) I would probably still want to experience the feeling of actually entering Canada as a permanent resident for the first time. You only experience it once. And it just wouldn't be the same simply walking back home from CIC in Montreal and maybe grabbing a shawarma along the way. Anyone with me?
Old May 19th 2009, 7:07 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

I had wanted to do this but was put off by the long wait times.
So we just drove out to Niagara Falls, popped across to the US for some junk food and "landed"
Easy. In hindsight it was also nice to make a day out of it!!
Old May 19th 2009, 7:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I had an In Canada sponsorship/pr application.

When it was all cleared they called me to an office for the official Landing.
Old May 19th 2009, 8:05 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I had an In Canada sponsorship/pr application.

When it was all cleared they called me to an office for the official Landing.
Horse of a different colour. In-Canada applicants are all "landed" at an inland CIC. Overseas applicants who receive there COPR in Canada have a choice.
Old May 19th 2009, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kleinluka
I think while it's more convenient probably (except for the 3 months wait in some cases) I would probably still want to experience the feeling of actually entering Canada as a permanent resident for the first time. You only experience it once. And it just wouldn't be the same simply walking back home from CIC in Montreal and maybe grabbing a shawarma along the way. Anyone with me?
Nope! Anything that requires me to worry about border crossings ain't top of my list of things to do. I'm happy to just get the PR card and have a party.
Old May 20th 2009, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

ernieentwhistle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sprucemoose
Nope! Anything that requires me to worry about border crossings ain't top of my list of things to do. I'm happy to just get the PR card and have a party.
Could someone please elaborate on this method "in Canada landing"
I am sort of in the dark.

THANKYOU

Last edited by ernieentwhistle; May 20th 2009 at 12:49 pm.
Old May 20th 2009, 2:38 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kleinluka
Agreed. I will be crossing the border when the time comes.
There is some fine shawarma in Montreal though. The mrs might swap the excitement of a US crossing if she thought we could go to Montreal's CIC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.