British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   in-canada landing - anyone done it? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/canada-landing-anyone-done-609869/)

sprucemoose May 18th 2009 6:31 pm

in-canada landing - anyone done it?

Has anyone successfully activated their PR status in Canada?

The link on the wiki regarding this alternative to flag-poling is dead, and I don't recall ever reading about anyone doing it.

MR79 May 18th 2009 7:40 pm

Re: in-canada landing - anyone done it?

Hi,

if you do a search on the forum there are lots of people who do this, i believe you go to the border and on the usa side the border control reject you and this is because the Canada side activate your PR. please dont quote me on this but i have read up on people activating their PR by crossing the border and coming back..im sure more senior people will come to advise in a bit...good luck with your landing...

MR79

Nicola N-A May 18th 2009 7:43 pm

MR79 - you are describing 'flagpoling', I think the OP is looking for 'in land' experiences - this is done in a local CIC office by appointment with no need to 'leave' Canada.

PMM May 18th 2009 9:37 pm

Hi

Originally Posted by Nicola N-A (Post 7582976)
MR79 - you are describing 'flagpoling', I think the OP is looking for 'in land' experiences - this is done in a local CIC office by appointment with no need to 'leave' Canada.

Right, you phone the call centre and they will make an appointment with your local CIC for you to "land". Depending on the local CIC the appointment would be between 2 and 8 weeks.

kiton6 May 19th 2009 12:57 am

Originally Posted by PMM (Post 7583217)
Hi

Right, you phone the call centre and they will make an appointment with your local CIC for you to "land". Depending on the local CIC the appointment would be between 2 and 8 weeks.

That's right unless you 'land' at the Victoria office in which you can show up without an appointment only on Tuesday's, if I remember the day correctly - we did that back in November 2008.

It saved us the hassle of going over to Washington State and coming back.

gibsonslanding May 19th 2009 4:30 am

Originally Posted by PMM (Post 7583217)
Hi

if you can get through to the call centre that is.......you go through a whole load of different options and just when you think your waiting on the line for an operator, an automated voice says......'all of our operators are busy at this time, please call back'......

way easier to 'flagpole......could take minutes to do and not weeks.....

Monkey Puzzle May 19th 2009 8:46 am

Originally Posted by kiton6 (Post 7583565)
That's right unless you 'land' at the Victoria office in which you can show up without an appointment only on Tuesday's, if I remember the day correctly - we did that back in November 2008.

Ooo, interesting, thanks!! This option would be very handy. We'll definitely give this a try when (if!) our time comes.

sprucemoose May 19th 2009 5:20 pm

If I could do this at my local CIC, then I might just go for it then. Is there any list of offices that provide this service?

It sounds less nerve-wracking. ;)

kleinluka May 19th 2009 6:28 pm

I think while it's more convenient probably (except for the 3 months wait in some cases) I would probably still want to experience the feeling of actually entering Canada as a permanent resident for the first time. You only experience it once. And it just wouldn't be the same simply walking back home from CIC in Montreal and maybe grabbing a shawarma along the way. :rofl: Anyone with me?

geo4 May 19th 2009 7:07 pm

I had wanted to do this but was put off by the long wait times.
So we just drove out to Niagara Falls, popped across to the US for some junk food and "landed"
Easy. In hindsight it was also nice to make a day out of it!!

BristolUK May 19th 2009 7:34 pm

I had an In Canada sponsorship/pr application.

When it was all cleared they called me to an office for the official Landing.

PMM May 19th 2009 8:05 pm

Hi

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 7586191)
I had an In Canada sponsorship/pr application.

When it was all cleared they called me to an office for the official Landing.

Horse of a different colour. In-Canada applicants are all "landed" at an inland CIC. Overseas applicants who receive there COPR in Canada have a choice.

sprucemoose May 19th 2009 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by kleinluka (Post 7586058)
I think while it's more convenient probably (except for the 3 months wait in some cases) I would probably still want to experience the feeling of actually entering Canada as a permanent resident for the first time. You only experience it once. And it just wouldn't be the same simply walking back home from CIC in Montreal and maybe grabbing a shawarma along the way. :rofl: Anyone with me?

Nope! :p Anything that requires me to worry about border crossings ain't top of my list of things to do. I'm happy to just get the PR card and have a party.

ernieentwhistle May 20th 2009 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by sprucemoose (Post 7586392)
Nope! :p Anything that requires me to worry about border crossings ain't top of my list of things to do. I'm happy to just get the PR card and have a party.

Could someone please elaborate on this method "in Canada landing"
I am sort of in the dark.

THANKYOU

windward May 20th 2009 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by kleinluka (Post 7586058)

Agreed. I will be crossing the border when the time comes.
There is some fine shawarma in Montreal though. The mrs might swap the excitement of a US crossing if she thought we could go to Montreal's CIC.