Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canada getting PR or work permit questions

Canada getting PR or work permit questions

Old Feb 5th 2023, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Likon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canada getting PR or work permit questions

bc2015 Thanks. Yeah my plan is now to pimp up my CV and start looking for remote work. Who knows maybe I will get lucky. Like you said, I heard that companies are now on hiring freeze and we don't want to risk it going there without job. Maybe in 3-6 months the situation will change.
Old Feb 12th 2023, 4:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Likon
what it tells you?
It tells me that you definitely need to explore PNP's, if you're open to moving to any province.

No point on looking for remote work btw, as that won't get you a work permit - if they don't need you to be physically be in Canada to do the job, it won't be granted. Have a good read of the Job Hunting section of the Wiki for info on how to job hunt effectively in Canada.

Good luck.
Old Feb 13th 2023, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

Thanks christmasoompa
I dont want to move to other places than Ontario.
Will try to search for work remotely, got nothing to lose. Who knows maybe I will get lucky.
It's not expensive to sponsor a working permit at all so don't see why they would have a problem with me moving there.
Old Feb 13th 2023, 6:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You’re right, it’s only $1155, not a huge amount in the grand scheme of things.

But it’s not the money that puts most employers off. It’s the paperwork and waiting, plus the requirement to prove they can’t find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job. If they can hire a Canadian quickly or easily then they just won’t bother going through the paperwork, hassle and months of waiting to hire a foreign worker.

But if your occupation is in demand then it’s absolutely worth a try. I would personally get over there and job hunt in person to give yourself the best chance (see the aforementioned Wili section for why that may be crucial).

best of luck.
Old Feb 13th 2023, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

Thanks. Will read it.
Canada says they are opening very much for new immigrants so the whole process should be easier I guess?
Also if I would move there without work permit they still need to go through the paperwork anyway, right?

One more question. If my wife would be on IEC and find a job, can the employer give her some employment papers so I can start the process of getting a work permit faster? Or do I need to wait for her first paycheck?
Old Feb 13th 2023, 8:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Canada says they are opening very much for new immigrants so the whole process should be easier I guess?
Also if I would move there without work permit they still need to go through the paperwork anyway, right?
They're processing more PR applications, but that has nothing to do with work permits.

Not sure what you mean by move without work permit? You can't move without a valid visa allowing you to do so.
Old Feb 13th 2023, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

I thought you mean to go on a tourist visa and search for work from there but still need to get a work permit from the employer.
Old Feb 13th 2023, 10:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I thought you mean to go on a tourist visa and search for work from there but still need to get a work permit from the employer.
Ah, I see. If you're a UK citizen you don't need a tourist visa and can't move as a visitor anyway, plus most people don't want to wait in Canada for the LMIA as it can take months. Most people that go over to job hunt plan a trip for 10 days/2 weeks, job hunt, then return to the UK and if they were lucky enough to find a sponsoring employer they wait in the UK for the LMIA and then move over.
Old Feb 13th 2023, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

There is this new Global Talent Stream that can reduce LMIA to 2 weeks.
Old Feb 13th 2023, 1:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

There is this new Global Talent Stream that can reduce LMIA to 2 weeks.
And I suspect it will be like ever other '2 week processing' stream and actually take a heck of a lot longer for 90% of applicants.
Old Feb 13th 2023, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah probably you're right, but I don't see many other options than just try.
Old Feb 13th 2023, 1:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yeah probably you're right, but I don't see many other options than just try.
The other option (and one I personally think would be far easier) is the IEC. I know you don't want to have time without being able to work, but you could either wait in the UK until your OH has a job then get an open work permit on arrival, or you could job hunt yourself in the meantime. Even that time without wages is likely to be cheaper than a job hunting trip to Canada?

But if you definitely don't want to go down the IEC route, then absolutely give it a try. Good luck.
Old Feb 13th 2023, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks! Yeah I was thinking about IEC but it's a bit risky. I think the time to find job, and waiting for permit would be like 4 months not working, and this might make our first days in Canada very unpleasant. We also don't want to split for a few months that might take her to find a job. Overall stupid permits sucks.
Old Feb 13th 2023, 3:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks! Yeah I was thinking about IEC but it's a bit risky. I think the time to find job, and waiting for permit would be like 4 months not working, and this might make our first days in Canada very unpleasant. We also don't want to split for a few months that might take her to find a job. Overall stupid permits sucks.
Fair enough. You could always job hunt for 6 months and then if you don't have any luck, have IEC as your back up maybe.

Good luck.