Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canada getting PR or work permit questions

Canada getting PR or work permit questions

Old Feb 3rd 2023, 10:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada getting PR or work permit questions

Originally Posted by Likon
christmasoompa and technically in intra transfer option, who is doing the paperwork, the branch in UK or Canada?
It's the Canadian company that has to do it, as they need to show they need your OH. Usually their lawyers would prepare it all.

HTH.
Old Feb 3rd 2023, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

Likon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you
Old Feb 3rd 2023, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Unfortunately, the employer said no, so we need to search for some other way. Maybe new PR system which is I think kicking in in June.
Old Feb 3rd 2023, 3:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, the employer said no, so we need to search for some other way. Maybe new PR system which is I think kicking in in June.
That's a shame. The whole PR system isn't changing, only draws for EE. There will be targeted draws (perhaps for people in certain occupations i.e. healthcare, or for people that speak French etc) but I wouldn't count on it making it easier.

What about the IEC? That still seems like your best best.
Old Feb 3rd 2023, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

IEC my wife can have but I would need to wait with work permit until she will find a job and get first payment. I'm thinking to maybe search job remotely and move with job secured.
Old Feb 3rd 2023, 3:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

IEC my wife can have but I would need to wait with work permit until she will find a job and get first payment. I'm thinking to maybe search job remotely and move with job secured.
You can certainly try that, but in all honesty it's likely to be much harder (or impossible). The general advice is always to go out and job hunt in Canada personally if you need an employer to sponsor you, so you'd spend more money than if you just went with savings on an IEC and waited to start work once your wife has a job. But certainly give it a try - the Job Hunting section of the Wiki has info on how to go about it.

I don't think you've ever actually said, what are your CRS scores?
Old Feb 3rd 2023, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah I know it's harder, but also being unemployed for let's say 4 months is also not best :/
CRS score I think it was somehow 350. So way too low for 500 they want, don't know who has that even lol, hence we are waiting for a new EE that will be based on your skills in some industry no CRS.
Old Feb 3rd 2023, 4:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yeah I know it's harder, but also being unemployed for let's say 4 months is also not best
But you could have that anyway even on an open work permit? It may take you a while to find a job. And it could cost you more than that in job hunting trips…….

CRS score I think it was somehow 350. So way too low for 500 they want, don't know who has that even lol, hence we are waiting for a new EE that will be based on your skills in some industry no CRS.
It will still be CRS though, just more targeted draws, so perhaps those with experience in certain occupations will get invites with lower points thresholds. But I'm not sure it will go as low as 350.

What are your NOC codes and which province do you want to move to?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 3rd 2023 at 4:12 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2023, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

TEER 1 Software Engineer
Old Feb 3rd 2023, 4:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

NOC 2173? And which province? Wondering if a PNP might be a better way to go.
Old Feb 3rd 2023, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

yes NOC 2173 and Ontario PNP would be better?
Old Feb 3rd 2023, 4:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

yes NOC 2173 and Ontario PNP would be better?
Not for Ontario sadly. I was thinking of something like the BC Tech stream. Or was hoping that perhaps you wanted to go to MB (unlikely I know..!). Ontario is the toughest PNP IMO. Does it have to be Ontario or would you consider any other provinces?

I have 15 years in Software Development, dont know if that makes a difference?
What NOC code would that be? I have no idea about IT or what software development is, I need actual NOC codes!
Old Feb 3rd 2023, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

hmm it will be NOC 21232 (Software developers and programmers)
Old Feb 3rd 2023, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

what it tells you?
Old Feb 5th 2023, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine was recruited from overseas as a Software Developer last year. The employer contacted him on LinkedIn initially and then he passed their interviews. So it's definitely possible but also really hard. It's way easier to find a job once here.

Software Dev hiring has really slowed down in Vancouver and I imagine the rest of Canada, my employer (large multinational) has a hiring freeze at the moment, Amazon and Microsoft recently let a large number of people go and there's been layoffs at the smaller startups too. There is still opportunities but also more competition.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.