Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canada getting PR or work permit questions

Canada getting PR or work permit questions

Old Jan 16th 2023, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Likon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canada getting PR or work permit questions

Hello.

I (37 years old) and my wife (32) want to move to Canada from UK.

We are thinking about either applying for PR or getting a work permit.

We are skilled workers in the IT industry with over 10 years of experience.

We are both British and Polish passport holders.

Can someone advise if:
  1. I can still apply for IEC when I'm over the age limit? Is the age limit very strict or CA Immigration is overall flexible on that?
  2. If my wife gets IEC, can I apply for an open work permit under a new scheme of eligibility to work for spouses
  3. If she moves inside the current company to Canada, can I apply for an open work permit under a new scheme of eligibility to work for spouses?
  4. With the new rules for skilled workers do we still need to have some CSR score when applying for PR? or it's now a bit easier to get PR?

I would really appreciate any insight on that.

Thank you!
Old Jan 16th 2023, 3:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada getting PR or work permit questions

Hi, and welcome to BE.

1. No flexibility at all, you're not eligible.
2. Once your wife has got a skilled job, you would then qualify for an open work permit for the same duration.
3. Not sure what you mean by 'new scheme'? It's always been the case that spouses of skilled workers can get an open work permit. But yes, you could get one if she went on an intra-company transfer work permit. More info here - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Intra...ransfer-Canada
4. What 'new rules'? There is talk of the EE system changing, but it hasn't done so yet. So yes, you'd still require a certain level of CRS points to get PR via EE.

HTH, good luck.
Old Jan 16th 2023, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

christmasoompa Thank you for your reply
Old Jan 16th 2023, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

christmasoompa I found somewhere this note

"Starting in 2023, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will use new authorities to hold Express Entry draws that invite candidates based on specific attributes rather than their overall CRS score.The expected changes to Express Entry were made possible by Bill C-19 which received Royal Assent, or passed in both houses of parliament, on June 23. Under the Bill, the immigration minister has the authority to invite candidates with any in-demand skills or abilities."

Do you know maybe something about this?
Old Jan 16th 2023, 4:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Likon
christmasoompa I found somewhere this note

"Starting in 2023, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will use new authorities to hold Express Entry draws that invite candidates based on specific attributes rather than their overall CRS score.The expected changes to Express Entry were made possible by Bill C-19 which received Royal Assent, or passed in both houses of parliament, on June 23. Under the Bill, the immigration minister has the authority to invite candidates with any in-demand skills or abilities."

Do you know maybe something about this?
Nobody knows the details yet, and we'll just have to wait until they're announced. My personal guess (and it really is just a guess) is that certain occupations will be prioritised depending on labour demand, much like the old list of eligible occupations for the FSW program. Healthcare occupations first would be my guess - but again, just a guess as nobody has a clue yet!
Old Jan 16th 2023, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you christmasoompa

Regarding open work permit for spouses do you know if my wife would be on IEC and she holds the open work permit can I apply for one as well straight away or she needs to find a job first? As on the canada immigration website they are saying about open work permit holder, nothing that she needs to have a job.
Also if I would apply how long it takes to process such a request? How fast I can get open work permit?
Old Jan 16th 2023, 4:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Regarding open work permit for spouses do you know if my wife would be on IEC and she holds the open work permit can I apply for one as well straight away or she needs to find a job first? As on the canada immigration website they are saying about open work permit holder, nothing that she needs to have a job.
I'm not sure where you're reading that, do you have a link? For IEC, she needs to be working in a skilled job in Canada first. See here - https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...num=841&top=25

You might be looking at an upcoming change (rules regarding spouses of other workers) but again that's not in place yet.

For processing times you can check here - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ing-times.html

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 16th 2023 at 4:31 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2023, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

I can't post any urls or images :/ but there was info that if she is a work permit holder and later that she must work in one of the area. So I assume she must be working.
Old Jan 16th 2023, 4:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I can't post any urls or images :/ but there was info that if she is a work permit holder and later that she must work in one of the area. So I assume she must be working.
Yes that's it, she must be working and in a skilled job. But again, that's changing this year - so all you can do is see what the rules are when you apply and go.

Good luck.
Old Jan 16th 2023, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

christmasoompa what do you mean it's changing this year? what exactly and when? you have some link to it maybe?
Old Jan 16th 2023, 4:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa what do you mean it's changing this year? what exactly and when? you have some link to it maybe?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ng-family.html

HTH.
Old Jan 16th 2023, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

exactly this is what I've been reading about. But it says that my wife will still need to have work right?
Old Jan 16th 2023, 4:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

exactly this is what I've been reading about. But it says that my wife will still need to have work right?
Yes, it just won't need to be 'skilled' any longer once the changes are introduced.

HTH.
Old Jan 16th 2023, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you! Everything is clear.
Old Jan 17th 2023, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

christmasoompa I found information for intra company transfers for spouses' work permit:
In accordance with Annex 10-F of CETA, spouses of EU citizens who are intra-corporate (company) transferees to Canada are eligible for an open work permit for the same duration as their spouses’ work permit.

And in this Annex 10-F there is info that the work permit will automatically be extended to spouses, which means that I don't need to apply for a work permit separately?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.