Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canada clamps down on flag polling

Canada clamps down on flag polling

Old May 7th 2018, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canada clamps down on flag polling

CBSA
Please be aware in Ontario and Quebec that flag polling is being restricted by the CBSA. Click on the link attached to CBSA for more details in the Toronto Star

Last edited by glendem4; May 7th 2018 at 10:32 am.
Old May 7th 2018, 11:27 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada clamps down on flag polling

Originally Posted by glendem4
CBSA
Please be aware in Ontario and Quebec that flag polling is being restricted by the CBSA. Click on the link attached to CBSA for more details in the Toronto Star

As long as they are willing to let people go through the process inland (which didn't used to be an option up until a few years ago as I recall) then I can understand them wanting to reduce this practice.

The interesting part will be how they enforce it with regards to one's time outside the country. For instance, when I did it, I spent a couple of days on a weekend break in NYC since it was our anniversary anyway. The case highlighted in that article seems like an attempt at a quick border 'fly-around' though.
Old May 7th 2018, 12:25 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

This has been in effect since last year. See this post

http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig.../#post12378721

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1, Here is what CBSA says

"
To alleviate pressure at land border crossings, the CBSA informally announced today that it will no longer be permitting flag-poling at certain high volume ports-of-entry in the Southern Ontario Region during peak periods (i.e. on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, or Mondays), effective immediately. The ports-of-entry affected by this initiative include:
– Queenston;
– Niagara Falls;
– Rainbow Bridge; and
– Fort Erie (Peace Bridge).
If a foreign national attempts to flag-pole at the above ports-of-entry between Friday and Monday, it is likely that their examination will be deferred and they will be directed to return to that port-of-entry on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday. "

Others not listed may turn you away as well and if it is busy on the Tue/Wed/Thur, you may also be turned away.
Old May 7th 2018, 12:30 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
As long as they are willing to let people go through the process inland (which didn't used to be an option up until a few years ago as I recall) then I can understand them wanting to reduce this practice.

The interesting part will be how they enforce it with regards to one's time outside the country. For instance, when I did it, I spent a couple of days on a weekend break in NYC since it was our anniversary anyway. The case highlighted in that article seems like an attempt at a quick border 'fly-around' though.
It's been an option for 'Inland' applicants to 'land' for years. However, not so for TWP's etc.

Simply put, go to the border mid week and you'll be processed without any problem! They are just trying to avoid the build up on weekends at the very busy S. Ontario border crossings.

Old May 7th 2018, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

mahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I remember flag-poling a few years ago, mid summer. Showed up around mid day and only one other person was doing the same thing.

Last year I helped my girlfriend do the flagpole. Showed up at 7.30am on a Wednesday, there was a que of over 100 people. At 8am, they told everyone else to go home and that they wouldn't process any more applications for the day. So we drove to another border crossing and got sorted no issue. Most of the flagpolers we met on the Rainbow bridge had got the bus, which maybe explains why the other border crossing had no one waiting.

Certainly seems a lot more popular these days, and if you do want to flagpole, bear in mind that even if you show up on the processing days, they still may not serve you.
Old May 7th 2018, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Ah the harmonious interaction between different Government Agencies carrying out legislation under one act. So flag poling comprises usually of a change in Immigration status be it from temporary resident to permanent resident or being issued with a new work permit as CBSA doesn't extend work permits. So all of this is covered under the Immigration & Refugee Protection Act and IRCC are the Agency who implements changes to the Act and how it is carried out. So a few years ago they had this bright idea to close all of their Inland CIC offices across Canada so no member of the public could have walk in service. You must make an appointment.
By doing this they then put extra work on CBSA at Ports Of Entry as they found it easier to get service at a POE for landings, new work permits and re-entering as visitors. It was poorly rolled out and many POE's were not ready for the extra work load.
So my advice is where possible make an appointment at an IRCC office rather than running the risk of being turned away of having very long waits at the POE's.