Canada Budget

Old May 1st 2006, 3:14 am
Account Closed

woofwoof is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canada Budget

Does anyone know if there's a budget in Canada in May. I was going to get the bankers draught done this week for the RPRF, but I'd thought I'd hang on for a week or two if the government are going to half it as they said. Saves the London chc a load of hassle having to send half of it back to me, if it happens of course.
Old May 1st 2006, 5:03 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada Budget

Hi

Originally Posted by woofwoof
Does anyone know if there's a budget in Canada in May. I was going to get the bankers draught done this week for the RPRF, but I'd thought I'd hang on for a week or two if the government are going to half it as they said. Saves the London chc a load of hassle having to send half of it back to me, if it happens of course.
Budget speech tommorrow, 2nd of May.

PMM
Old May 1st 2006, 5:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Budget speech tommorrow, 2nd of May.

PMM

Thanks

Amazing innit, I have never bothered listening to any Uk Budget in my life, and now I can't wait for the Canada one.
Old May 2nd 2006, 9:49 am
Account Closed

Looks like they've done it:-

"This budget delivers on the Government's commitment to reduce the Right of Permanent Residence Fee to help immigrants and their families with the costs of starting a new life in Canada. The fee will be reduced from its current level of $975 to $490 effective on May 2, 2006. In addition, the Government will provide partial refunds to those who have already paid the $975 fee but have not been granted permanent resident status or have not yet arrived in Canada. The cost of this initiative in foregone revenue is $224 million over two years"

Don't quite get it about receiving a partial refund if you haven't landed yet. Presume he means they will knock a bit off to help with the costs of refunds.

Last edited by woofwoof; May 2nd 2006 at 10:15 am.
Old May 2nd 2006, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

SuzH is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like they've done it:-

"This budget delivers on the Government's commitment to reduce the Right of Permanent Residence Fee to help immigrants and their families with the costs of starting a new life in Canada. The fee will be reduced from its current level of $975 to $490 effective on May 2, 2006. In addition, the Government will provide partial refunds to those who have already paid the $975 fee but have not been granted permanent resident status or have not yet arrived in Canada. The cost of this initiative in foregone revenue is $224 million over two years"

Don't quite get it about receiving a partial refund if you haven't landed yet. Presume he means they will knock a bit to help with the costs of refunds.
Great. Does this mean if I'm just about to get a banker's draft and send it off I can send $490 each now if it's effective today?
Old May 2nd 2006, 10:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SuzH
Great. Does this mean if I'm just about to get a banker's draft and send it off I can send $490 each now if it's effective today?
If it says effective from today then thats exactly what it means,...... I hope ............. I will probably wait a day or two until its official and on the London CHC web site and then get the draft done.
Old May 2nd 2006, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

SuzH is an unknown quantity at this point

If it says effective from today then thats exactly what it means,...... I hope ............. I will probably wait a day or two until its official and on the London CHC web site and then get the draft done.
yeah good call, I think I'll wait a couple of days too, still got to get other stuff done so no hardship. Sounds like good news though!
Old May 2nd 2006, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SuzH
yeah good call, I think I'll wait a couple of days too, still got to get other stuff done so no hardship. Sounds like good news though!
Its effective today I believe, all i know is that I paid my fee and I havent landed yet I WANT MY MONEY BAAAAAACCCKKKKKKKKKK
Old May 2nd 2006, 11:34 am
Just Joined

harmi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all - CIC website has now been updated with the the following:

"The 2006 Federal Budget includes a 50 percent reduction in the $975 Right of Permanent Residence Fee. The new Right of Permanent Residence Fee is $490 for immigrants who become permanent residents under all social, humanitarian and economic classes. The change is effective as of 12:00 a.m. EDT on May 3, 2006.

If you paid the Right of Permanent Residence Fee, but did not become a permanent resident until after 12:00 a.m. EDT on May 3, 2006, you are entitled to a refund. "

Yippee!!!!! There are faq on their website, explaining what to do.

Harmi
Old May 2nd 2006, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Diabolo will become famous soon enoughDiabolo will become famous soon enough

Great ! Already paid for the landing fee. Waiting for the refund
Hope they send the PPR along with it
Old May 3rd 2006, 6:18 am
Kelly

kellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to all

Cool!!!
Luckily we only become landed on Friday and so we are entitled to the refund. The advice on their website was to ask for our refund on arrival, good call and thanks for this thread.

Kelly