Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canada bound...but a bit Clueless as to where to start

Canada bound...but a bit Clueless as to where to start

Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:20 am
Just Joined

eager_2_change_our_life is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canada bound...but a bit Clueless as to where to start

Hello All!

I am a 27 yr old single mom of one who has decided that we as a family need to move out of the UK and establish a better life for us. As the adult and only parent I feel this direction takes us to Canada.

I feel I am pulled toward the Montreal region but not stubborn enough to not be open to other areas.

My dilemma at the moment is I really don't have any idea where to start to help us achieve this dream.

I am right now in the process of applying to go to university here as I have been told that there is a MUCH greater chance of emigrating for skilled workers. However if there are other ways that might work or might be the better choice I would love to know.

If anyone could offer any advice at all I would be very grateful. If you have any questions for me then please say and I will answer as best I can.

Much appreciation in advance
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:31 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada bound...but a bit Clueless as to where to start

Hi Welcome to BE

A good place to start is the wiki at the top of the page as this will give you some info re the possible opportunities available to you.

If you are looking to study, there may be a possibility for you to do this in Canada, this is not something I have looked into though, but again there will be info on the wiki about it.

It seems at the moment the only sure fire way of getting to Canada is with a job offer, however there may be other possibilities to you if you are able to narrow down your area. You could look into the Provinicial Nominee Programmes.

Good luck, sure there will be some further advice for you shortly.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Thank you for the reply. I have since read up on Wiki and will continue to now I have a bit more time.

TY
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:00 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eager_2_change_our_life
Hello All!

I am a 27 yr old single mom of one who has decided that we as a family need to move out of the UK and establish a better life for us. As the adult and only parent I feel this direction takes us to Canada.

I feel I am pulled toward the Montreal region but not stubborn enough to not be open to other areas.

My dilemma at the moment is I really don't have any idea where to start to help us achieve this dream.

I am right now in the process of applying to go to university here as I have been told that there is a MUCH greater chance of emigrating for skilled workers. However if there are other ways that might work or might be the better choice I would love to know.

If anyone could offer any advice at all I would be very grateful. If you have any questions for me then please say and I will answer as best I can.

Much appreciation in advance
First of all, good for you! Canada a much better place to raise kids in my opinion and a wonderful place to live.

Basically there are loads of routes you could use to get in. There are a few things you need to think about first to determine the best route for you...

- what are your timescales? do you want to move asap or are you really thinking in a few years time?

- which province? Are you set on Montreal or really pretty flexible?

If you want to get here asap then there are a couple of possible routes:

1) get a job in Canada. With a job offer you can apply for a temporary work permit (and worry about making applications for permanent residency once you are already here) OR apply through a Provincial Nominee Program (most provinces have them and they are fastrack programs that often take under a year for people with job offers)

2) Since you mentioned you plan to go to university, what about doing that in Canada instead? If you are enrolled to go to university here you could apply for a study permit allowing you to live here while you study. Your qualification from a Canadian uni might also be better recognised here than a UK one too. Plus, this has the added advantage that in most cases students on study permits are able to work part time during their study (via an off-campus work permit) AND a number of provinces have things called "International Graduate" streams of their Provincial Nominee Programs which means that if you graduate from a Canadian university you can allpy to stay here permanently with much more flexible criteria (sometimes you still need a job offer but dont have to meet some of the other criteria).

If you are really in no hurry at all and you meet the point score you could apply as a skilled worker through the federal program but it takes years and be aware that at the moment there is a lot of uncertainty around how the government are going to prioritise applications (its likely that applications where the applicants dont have arranged employment (a job offer) will simply be returned.

If you are certain about Montreal, the province of Quebec has its own routes for immigration too - see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/quebec/index.asp

PNPs are really a good way to go. Official info on the PNP's here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp
Old Jul 17th 2008, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

Thank you NSpaul.

This has given me a few things to think about. I will check out these sites you listed and do a bit more research into the points you made.

As I said thank you for your help as I have been a bit overwhelmed and imagine will continue to be for a while.

TY