canada age limit

Old Nov 3rd 2008, 9:47 am
Just Joined

needsunshine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default canada age limit

Hi everyone,

Me and my partner are discussing the options of moving to Canada. Before we go any further with form filling I need some answers on a couple of queries that I have.I am a Registered Nurse in a management position with 30+ years experience I work in Occupational Health and have a diploma in counselling and grief counselling. I am in the process of a further diploma in CBT and in Feb 2009 commencing the NEBOSH course.

Although I am a qualified RGN what is the age limit in Canada as I am a little confused with this, also is the NEBOSH certificate recognised in Canada?

Is it really true that we may have to wait years....and years.....

Thanks
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: canada age limit

have you thought of NS community identified? age limit 55 and can be processed start to finsh in 6 to 9 months

NS is desperate for nurses particulalrly away from Halifax

digby county/ annapolis county for eg

you would be so welcomed im sure!!
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

dont know about NEBOSH husband has this but for community identified quallys arent an issue you just need to have done one year of further ed and doesnt need to be advanced and can be in virtually any subject at any level
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

bimchick is an unknown quantity at this point

Even Halifax is in need of nurses.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

agreed re halifax but easier re community identified outside of halifax if age is an issue
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your replies, looking into NS now. Don't know much about this area, will need also to look into jobs for my partner. He is an IT Project Manager with Prince 2 , years of experience.
so here goes............

Cheers for now, sure more questions to comeyour way!
Old Nov 4th 2008, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Your nursing/management experience will probably be your way in. If you can get your traning accredited and get a job offer a work permit will get you here in no time. You can sort out the PR after that.

Read the WIKI on nursing for more info.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by needsunshine
Hi everyone,

Me and my partner are discussing the options of moving to Canada. Before we go any further with form filling I need some answers on a couple of queries that I have.I am a Registered Nurse in a management position with 30+ years experience I work in Occupational Health and have a diploma in counselling and grief counselling. I am in the process of a further diploma in CBT and in Feb 2009 commencing the NEBOSH course.

Although I am a qualified RGN what is the age limit in Canada as I am a little confused with this, also is the NEBOSH certificate recognised in Canada?

Is it really true that we may have to wait years....and years.....

Thanks
You can work as a mental health community nurse ,looks like all your
extra diplomas are beneficial because most of the mental health patients out
in the community have medical problems and addictions.

Since you have not been working in the ward environment for several
years,I thought that community nursing may be an option for you.
Have you decided which Province you are going to?
Lately ,I have seen some newly qualified nurses in their early fifties
entering nursing and have no problems in finding jobs.
All the best.
Yoong
Old Nov 5th 2008, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your reply, I am now looking into this. We will be visiting an Expo in Leeds in a couple of weeks so will hopefully pick up some information there.

It is so confusing, escpecially as we have a house to sell in the UK and the way that things are here could be a long wait.
Speaking of my nursing I may have to sit my Canadian exam and then take it from their. Sounds expensive and rather difficult to do this but a necessity o bviously
Old Nov 5th 2008, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

ooops you can tell I am new to this forum, hit the wrong key!

I will just finish off and ask if anyone you know has sat the Nursing exam?
Any best way to do this please?

Thank you again
Trish
Old Nov 5th 2008, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

You need to get your trainig accredited first. This is done by the regulatory body in the Province where you plan to work. They then gove you permission to take the exam which is held in January, June and October each year. You can usually practice for 1 year on temporary licence before taking the exam.

You should read the nursing WIKI as all the info and links that you need are there http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Nursing-Canada

When you are studying for the exam you can get a prep guide which is really expensive but if you are an RCN member you can borrow it from the RCN library.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 3:51 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the NEBOSH general certificate and find that it's worth nothing. All it means is that you can spot hazards a mile off, and no-one cares about them. Some are even allowed. ie Doors opening onto corridors, in hospitals there's only one sink in the room for clean and dirty, manual handling is pretty dire too.

The principles are the same but the regulations are much more lax.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:53 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for your replies, I will take a look at WIKI as suggested and I suppose visiting the expo in Leeds will help us with some of our questions

My Brother in Ottowa has told me that the weather is getting pretty cold now out there, I would change this dank, dark and miserable weather for any of that, at least you get a blue sky!

Things are so bleak here with constant bad news with job cuts, houses not sellling, people cant afford to live anymore because of the 'credit crunch'. Basically I am sick to death of doom and gloom. I am sure that it has affected you guys as well how are you coping with the job cuts etc?

Cheers again

Trish