Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can you "Land" in Canadian Embassy Abroad?

Can you "Land" in Canadian Embassy Abroad?

Old Nov 29th 2005, 9:13 am

Malcolm Bamford is on a distinguished road
Question Can you "Land" in Canadian Embassy Abroad?

Just wondering if you can land in a Canadian embassy (London) as it is Canadian "Soil"?

Just had a job offer in Nova Scotia which has happened 6 months ahead of any of our plans and the principle applicant (my wife + baby) cant land when I do as she has contractual obligations to continue working in the UK.

Can we go up to the London CHC and land their and complete all necessary documention then Principle applicant follow me on at a later date?
Old Nov 29th 2005, 9:23 am
We make IT happening

aat147 will become famous soon enoughaat147 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Can you "Land" in Canadian Embassy Abroad?

Originally Posted by Malcolm Bamford
Just wondering if you can land in a Canadian embassy (London) as it is Canadian "Soil"?

Just had a job offer in Nova Scotia which has happened 6 months ahead of any of our plans and the principle applicant (my wife + baby) cant land when I do as she has contractual obligations to continue working in the UK.

Can we go up to the London CHC and land their and complete all necessary documention then Principle applicant follow me on at a later date?
CHC London is not canadian soil; its UK soil and canada is just running its office there and host their flag. I don't think you can do landing at any CHC.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:05 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

No, you can't "land" in Canadian visa post - you must physically arrive to Canada for landing.

But if you are the principal applicant in your PR visa application then you may land first and your dependents may follow you later, as long as they land before PR visa expiration date.

Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:15 am
We make IT happening

aat147 will become famous soon enoughaat147 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
No, you can't "land" in Canadian visa post - you must physically arrive to Canada for landing.

But if you are the principal applicant in your PR visa application then you may land first and your dependents may follow you later, as long as they land before PR visa expiration date.
Andrew, Can't they apply for extension for PR Visa by paying some fee and stating the reason for contractual obligations to continue working in the UK. I still remeber some where three years back one of my friend at Singapore did apply for extension on PR visa and he got it to finish his assignment based on contract but I am not sure about current rules.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:28 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Nope. PR visa cannot be extended. If not landed within it's validity then it is gone and person must re-apply and go through entire process again.

Originally Posted by aat147
Andrew, Can't they apply for extension for PR Visa by paying some fee and stating the reason for contractual obligations to continue working in the UK. I still remeber some where three years back one of my friend at Singapore did apply for extension on PR visa and he got it to finish his assignment based on contract but I am not sure about current rules.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 5:00 am
Every day is a new day...

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute

your best option is to land "in Canada" and then come back to the UK! then, you can permanently move after 6 months!
Old Nov 30th 2005, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Ibraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to all

She may land and go back to UK immediately or few days later.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Reghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to all

Just arrive in canada, even if it is just for the weekend and going back is the best option i think, That way would become a PR and then come back later

regs
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 12:24 am

Malcolm Bamford is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Can you "Land" in Canadian Embassy Abroad?

Originally Posted by Reghuraj
Just arrive in canada, even if it is just for the weekend and going back is the best option i think, That way would become a PR and then come back later

regs
I was in Ottawa last week and the immigration official was going to cancel my PR visa by crossing it out.
So i need to be sure as I dont want to wait another 3 years for another visa.

Have contacted the London CHC by fax and Im awaiting a reply as to wether I can visit Halifax NS on Monday with the principle applicant NOT being present.
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Reghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to all

I was in Ottawa last week and the immigration official was going to cancel my PR visa by crossing it out.
So i need to be sure as I dont want to wait another 3 years for another visa.

Have contacted the London CHC by fax and Im awaiting a reply as to wether I can visit Halifax NS on Monday with the principle applicant NOT being present.

The principle application should be present for completing landing formalities.

If your visa is with you and if it is still valid, ie if it has not expired or cancelled, then you can do the landing process.

please confirm with one of the experts though.

regs
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

scollis is a jewel in the roughscollis is a jewel in the roughscollis is a jewel in the roughscollis is a jewel in the rough
Wink Re: Can you "Land" in Canadian Embassy Abroad?

Congratulations on the job front, what a good Chrimble pressie! We are heading for NS too but don't know when yet.
Have fun sorting it all out and just enjoy the fact that you have an income to go to.
Best wishes for 2006
Sonia