can you help with time limits?

Old Jul 23rd 2002, 11:20 am
Jane.Wines

Default can you help with time limits?

I posted before but got no reply How long on average does it take to get PR from
England? I will not complete my degree until March, and am not planning to emigrate
until 2004, but would like to get the ball rolling. I am in a profession which is
needed in Canada - does this help in the process? I will have 85 points if I have a
job to go to, but 70 if I dont, but getting a job may be difficult before I arrive as
I need to complete a registration process. Does having a husband and 3 children
hinder the whole process or will it help us? My husband doesnt have a degree, so cant
get the points. Thanks for your help Jane

Old Jul 23rd 2002, 11:20 am
Andrew Miller

Default Re: can you help with time limits?

When new law clears the backlog of currently pending applications by rather brutally
rejecting substantial portion of them, then processing times are expected to return
to normal, whatever that means for the particular visa post. For London it probably
would be anywhere between 5 and 12 months for UK residents, but note that elimination
of the backlog will take at least till March 2003.

Fact that your profession is needed in Canada may help or hinder your case. The
greatly unfair reality with many regulated professions is that their respective
licensing/registration bodies in many cases are simply professional associations in
tight tandem with labor unions. For example nurses and doctors are badly needed in
Canada, but the registration/licensing process is designed and/or controlled by
unions and/or members which will do everything to keep shortage alive as a bargaining
chip in compensation disputes.

You didn't say what is your profession, but if it is possible you should go through
registration/licensing process as far as you can before coming to Canada. It may also
help you in getting a job sooner, maybe even prior to application.

Your family's composition is irrelevant as long as you all are not inadmissible. Your
husband doesn't have a degree - but what about a diploma or trade certificate? It may
add some points.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
millercicanada.com (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

"jane.wines" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:yqk%[email protected]...
    > I posted before but got no reply How long on average does it take to get PR from
    > England? I will not complete my degree until March, and am not planning to emigrate
    > until 2004, but would like to get the ball rolling. I am in a profession which is
    > needed in Canada - does this help in the process? I will have 85 points if I have a
    > job to go to, but 70 if I dont, but getting a job may be difficult before I arrive
    > as I need to complete a registration process. Does having a husband and 3 children
    > hinder the whole process or will it help us? My husband doesnt have a degree, so
    > cant get the points. Thanks for your help Jane

Old Jul 30th 2002, 4:21 pm
Klmok

Default Re: can you help with time limits?

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 23:04:21 +0100, "jane.wines" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I posted before but got no reply

>Does having a husband and 3 children hinder the whole process or will it help us? My
    >husband doesnt have a degree, so cant get the points. Thanks for your help

You will be required to apply as a family unit and there's no way around that. But
a family unit is a stable, productive and desirable immigrant profile, especially
when you have young children. So its a plus for you. Canada loves children.

You don't say what your husband does for a living. But frankly degrees are almost a
dime a dozen and if he has a trades skill it will be a far better qualification and
have more employment prospects than a degree. He can always take a degree anytime
when he gets over here if that is what bothers you.

You are thinking ahead to 2004. If your intention is to emmigrate sooner or later now
is a good time as any. The Canadian economy is relatively rosy compared to other G7
countries and employment opportunities are reasonably good. Conditions change very
quickly and two years down the line your motivations will change, especially when you
and your husband have settled into jobs and your children, into school and friends.
Doing it now also lets your children get into the Canadian school system early.

Don't try to work the points system. You have probably maxed yours by now. Just go
ahead and apply and see what tuyrns up. There is nothing to stop you from trying
again if you don't make it this time.

Good luck.