Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can You Get An IEC Visa While In Canada?

Can You Get An IEC Visa While In Canada?

Old Feb 21st 2012, 5:48 am
Just Joined

LMJ86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Can You Get An IEC Visa While In Canada?

Hello,

I have been in Canada since July 2009. I came through Bunac UK and managed to secure a job at HSBC Finance. My work permit expired the following year and HSBC would not sponsor me as they stated they didn't get involved with Immigration.

I was lucky that I was able to find an employer who would (I have worked in Mortgages / Finance for the past 8 Years) it was a mortgage broker based out of Pickering , ON. The company went BK and I ended up moving to a company within the same office and secured an mortgage underwriter position.

Before the company went BK I was in the process of applying for PR via Arranged Employment. My application was ready to be submitted but due to the company going BK it voided it completely.

I informed the new employer about my Immigration Status and situation and he said he would have no trouble in continuing the application. How wrong I was, I believed that my application was under process and being taken care of by my immigration lawyer (after submitted requested detail and documents) only to get a call from an associate of my lawyers in November stating that I had to stop working immediately as nothing had been completed on my file and that I was working illegally.

Of course you could imagine both my reaction and my employer, so I stopped working and the employer gave me a deadline of 48Hrs to get this resolved. As nothing had been completed (still in shock!) I would have to start from the beginning and this could take a few months - my employer ended up hiring someone else.

So I have now been unemployed since November with no income, I have bills mounting, having to get money wired from the UK to survive just to buy food and I have been endlessly searching for employer where an employer will sponsor for a new work permit (This is VERY VERY difficult) I am even willing to relocate to anywhere in Canada to get a job.

I have visited Canada since 2005 and finally came in 2009, I perhaps didn't go down the best route but it is now home and I really am doing everything I can not to go back to the UK.

If anyone has been in the same boat or knows how to obtain an IEC in Canada. Please let me know, I have had a series of mis-unfortunate situations happen that lead me to where i am today :-( I have been through 2 lawyer firms that were supposed to be the best in the city only to feel like a file number at the bottom of the pile and to be out of pocket by $8,000. I have always tried to do everything by the book.

Any help, information or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Liam
Old Feb 21st 2012, 5:51 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can You Get An IEC Visa While In Canada?

You can apply from Canada if you want to but you will need to leave and re-enter to activate the LOI at the border and there is also an 18 month residency abroad limitation to consider.

To be honest, reading the FAQ on the High Commission's website would have answered all of these questions for you although it goes without saying that you will need to be in Canada legally at the moment to apply from there.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 6:02 am
Just Joined

I had a brief look at the website but I am still trying to gather information. I am in the process of having to do a trip around the flag pole which has been confirmed by the officials that it is OK and I am aware that I could also be turned away.

Thank You for your response.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

i would aim to apply for a TWP with an LMO - that would be your quickest way to working legally again. You might be eligible to apply for PR via canadian experience class

i dont think you are eligible for the IEC visa

Last edited by chanceUK; Feb 21st 2012 at 6:08 am.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 6:17 am
Just Joined

Yeah I am currently looking at either the ON PNP or the LMO (I've done the LMO process before) I am a few months short of an exact 2 years for the Canadian Experience. I don't think or know if they do exceptions to this as It was only while I was waiting for my WP to come through but I was able to volunteer at my previous employers until it came through so maybe that might be worth a go. Many Thanks!
Old Feb 21st 2012, 7:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LMJ86
but I was able to volunteer at my previous employers until it came through so maybe that might be worth a go. Many Thanks!
I wouldn't mention that to CIC - doesn't sound as though that was legal tbh! Working on a voluntary basis is only ok if it's true voluntary work (i.e. working in an animal shelter, or a soup kitchen). If it's something that you would have been paid for otherwise, or something a Canadian could have been paid for, you would have needed a work permit even if you weren't being paid.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 2:45 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

HI

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I wouldn't mention that to CIC - doesn't sound as though that was legal tbh! Working on a voluntary basis is only ok if it's true voluntary work (i.e. working in an animal shelter, or a soup kitchen). If it's something that you would have been paid for otherwise, or something a Canadian could have been paid for, you would have needed a work permit even if you weren't being paid.

It appears the OP has been in Canada since 2009. If so then s/he is not eligible for an IEC because s/he has been absent from the UK for longer than 18 months in the past 3 years.