Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can you enter Canada while waiting for PR app to be approved? (COMMON LAW)

Can you enter Canada while waiting for PR app to be approved? (COMMON LAW)

Old Jan 9th 2013, 9:54 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 3
LCMG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can you enter Canada while waiting for PR app to be approved? (COMMON LAW)

Hello,

My partner and I will be sending in our application for common law sponsorship in March as that will be when we have been living together for a year. I am from Canada and he is from England, however we will be travelling abroad until May or June. We are hoping that then we will be able to go to Canada (with him on a visitor's visa) and wait until his PR comes through. We know that this likely will not be until roughly November, and really don't want to be forced to be in different countries.

Does anyone have any info/experience with this? We are finding it hard to find online.

Thanks so much
LCMG is offline  
Old Jan 9th 2013, 10:21 am
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,875
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you enter Canada while waiting for PR app to be approved? (COMMON LAW)

Originally Posted by LCMG
Hello,

My partner and I will be sending in our application for common law sponsorship in March as that will be when we have been living together for a year. I am from Canada and he is from England, however we will be travelling abroad until May or June. We are hoping that then we will be able to go to Canada (with him on a visitor's visa) and wait until his PR comes through. We know that this likely will not be until roughly November, and really don't want to be forced to be in different countries.

Does anyone have any info/experience with this? We are finding it hard to find online.

Thanks so much
Yes he can come as a visitor (no working or studying). I suggest you travel with proof of PR application to show you are sponsoring him. He can ask for a 12 month visitor record while application is being processed. As with all visitors they must satisfy CBSA that they will leave and have sufficient funds to look after themselves and not inadmissible for other reasons (health, criminality).
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2013, 12:18 am
  #3  
Best place on earth. BC.
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Portsmouth
Posts: 72
MegRobEarlee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can you enter Canada while waiting for PR app to be approved? (COMMON LAW)

We are in the same (sort of) boat, as in we are planning to leave by October 1(my UK Ancestry extension expires September 1 and dont want to apply for perm residency in UK) but his PR may not arrive in time. I am hoping it will be only a matter of weeks to wait for it but we will need him to get at least a 6 month visitor visa.
does anyone know what constitutes 'proof' of PR application in process so we can show on POE?
MegRobEarlee is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2013, 9:11 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
worriedmom's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 52
worriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud of
Default Re: Can you enter Canada while waiting for PR app to be approved? (COMMON LAW)

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Yes he can come as a visitor (no working or studying). I suggest you travel with proof of PR application to show you are sponsoring him. He can ask for a 12 month visitor record while application is being processed. As with all visitors they must satisfy CBSA that they will leave and have sufficient funds to look after themselves and not inadmissible for other reasons (health, criminality).
For Former Lancastrian. .Hello again
Similar question my son will be hoping to re-enter Canada while his PR is waiting to be approved from London.He has not booked his ticket yet ,should he get a return ticket as he will be on a visitors visa.He will have copy of his pr application and a copy of his sponsors /sponsorship approval
.Could he wait it out in Canada until pr is approved hopefully June/July any advice as time is getting nearer getting more nervous.He plans his trip in April
.Thank you so much for your advice
worriedmom is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2013, 10:06 am
  #5  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,875
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you enter Canada while waiting for PR app to be approved? (COMMON LAW)

Originally Posted by worriedmom
For Former Lancastrian. .Hello again
Similar question my son will be hoping to re-enter Canada while his PR is waiting to be approved from London.He has not booked his ticket yet ,should he get a return ticket as he will be on a visitors visa.He will have copy of his pr application and a copy of his sponsors /sponsorship approval
.Could he wait it out in Canada until pr is approved hopefully June/July any advice as time is getting nearer getting more nervous.He plans his trip in April
.Thank you so much for your advice
As long as he can show proof of application and sponsorship details no return ticket is required.
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2013, 10:37 pm
  #6  
Andrew
 
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 767
chiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to all
Default Re: Can you enter Canada while waiting for PR app to be approved? (COMMON LAW)

Originally Posted by worriedmom
For Former Lancastrian. .Hello again
Similar question my son will be hoping to re-enter Canada while his PR is waiting to be approved from London.He has not booked his ticket yet ,should he get a return ticket as he will be on a visitors visa.He will have copy of his pr application and a copy of his sponsors /sponsorship approval
.Could he wait it out in Canada until pr is approved hopefully June/July any advice as time is getting nearer getting more nervous.He plans his trip in April
.Thank you so much for your advice
Hi,

After some excellent advice from former Lancastrian, I have booked a one way flight with Icelandic air in August, but after booking I gave them a call, they explained that I may be refused boarding (Most airlines have this policy) if I did not have a PR visa, even showing the airline proof of PR application etc would not guarantee that you would be allowed to travel. Way round this is to book a fully refundable one way return ticket (Expedia has an option to select refundable flights) and show this to check in staff as proof of return. Once in Canada cancel the return leg.

Regards

Andrew
chiefmissile is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2013, 11:47 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
worriedmom's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 52
worriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud of
Default Re: Can you enter Canada while waiting for PR app to be approved? (COMMON LAW)

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
As long as he can show proof of application and sponsorship details no return ticket is required.
Thank you very much
worriedmom is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2013, 11:52 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
worriedmom's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 52
worriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud of
Default Re: Can you enter Canada while waiting for PR app to be approved? (COMMON LAW)

Originally Posted by chiefmissile
Hi,

After some excellent advice from former Lancastrian, I have booked a one way flight with Icelandic air in August, but after booking I gave them a call, they explained that I may be refused boarding (Most airlines have this policy) if I did not have a PR visa, even showing the airline proof of PR application etc would not guarantee that you would be allowed to travel. Way round this is to book a fully refundable one way return ticket (Expedia has an option to select refundable flights) and show this to check in staff as proof of return. Once in Canada cancel the return leg.

Regards

Andrew
Thank you Andrew very helpful as well
worriedmom is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.