Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can you apply for PR while applying for BUNAC?

Can you apply for PR while applying for BUNAC?

Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

lucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant future
Default Can you apply for PR while applying for BUNAC?

Hi

Can you help?

My husband and I have both applied for BUNAC visas. We have been offered places and are waiting for our police checks before we can send forms to High Commission.

We have realised that also eligible for PR as my job is on the 'list'. Can we apply for PR now before we send off the BUNAC forms to CIC? We want to get out there asap (long story) so think BUNAC best to get out there initially.

However, we do not want to risk our chances of getting a BUNAC visa if we state on the BUNAC form that we have applied for a different type of visa (The BUNAC form does ask if you have applied for another visa)

We want to make sure that if we do want to stay after the 12 month validity of the BUNAC visa, we would possibly already or nearly have PR so could just exit and re-enter Canada. If for whatever reason we cannot get PR, we will not stay on illegally.

Maybe we are just being paranoid but it does state clearly that BUNAC is solely for working holiday so would they question (or would they even know!) that you are also applying for PR?

Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated as not found any posts on this particular query

Thanks

Lucy
Old Jan 15th 2009, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you apply for PR while applying for BUNAC?

I applied for a BUNAC visa in 2007 whilst my PR application was pending and answered yes to that question. I supplied my file no. and the date my PR app was submitted, no problem getting the BUNAC visa.

HTH

Adele
Old Jan 16th 2009, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant future

Hi Adele

Thanks for your post.

I think whichever way we do it we will have to say we are applying for a BUNAC visa on our PR form or vice versa.

Going to put in a supporting statement to say that if we are not granted a PR visa, we will leave at the end of the BUNAC visa. There is nothing that says that you can't apply for both at the same time but obviously you have to use any visa according to its particular rules!

Best of luck with your move-hope it goes really well for you.

Lucy
Old Jan 16th 2009, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucycrow
Hi Adele

Thanks for your post.

I think whichever way we do it we will have to say we are applying for a BUNAC visa on our PR form or vice versa.

Going to put in a supporting statement to say that if we are not granted a PR visa, we will leave at the end of the BUNAC visa. There is nothing that says that you can't apply for both at the same time but obviously you have to use any visa according to its particular rules!

Best of luck with your move-hope it goes really well for you.

Lucy
Exactly, and I think it adds weight to your PR application if you have done/are doing BUNAC because it shows you've spent an extended period of time living and working in Canada and are therefore better prepared for life in the country on a long term basis - in other words, I think it helps your adaptability, hence being able to claim the 5 extra points on your SW app for it!

Good luck!

Adele x

P.S. Thanks for your support and well wishes

Last edited by adele; Jan 16th 2009 at 7:23 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

bflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by lucycrow
Hi

Can you help?

My husband and I have both applied for BUNAC visas. We have been offered places and are waiting for our police checks before we can send forms to High Commission.

We have realised that also eligible for PR as my job is on the 'list'. Can we apply for PR now before we send off the BUNAC forms to CIC? We want to get out there asap (long story) so think BUNAC best to get out there initially.

However, we do not want to risk our chances of getting a BUNAC visa if we state on the BUNAC form that we have applied for a different type of visa (The BUNAC form does ask if you have applied for another visa)

We want to make sure that if we do want to stay after the 12 month validity of the BUNAC visa, we would possibly already or nearly have PR so could just exit and re-enter Canada. If for whatever reason we cannot get PR, we will not stay on illegally.

Maybe we are just being paranoid but it does state clearly that BUNAC is solely for working holiday so would they question (or would they even know!) that you are also applying for PR?

Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated as not found any posts on this particular query

Thanks

Lucy
why dont you apply for your BUNAC now and after 4 weeks start the PR process. I hear it works and i heard someone who has done it.. good luck
Old Jan 16th 2009, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

portally is an unknown quantity at this point

HI I am in a similar boat myself - I was just wondering there when you say that you get extra points for working in Canada for a year. I got the bunac equivalent for Irish people but I did not work solid for the whole year. If I could get points for having a permit for a year - I could probably apply myself straight away. Thanks
Old Jan 16th 2009, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by portally
HI I am in a similar boat myself - I was just wondering there when you say that you get extra points for working in Canada for a year. I got the bunac equivalent for Irish people but I did not work solid for the whole year. If I could get points for having a permit for a year - I could probably apply myself straight away. Thanks
I'm pretty sure it states that you must have worked or studied full time for at least one year. So unless you started working the minute you got off the plane till the time you got back on it, I don't see how you could score points for this section
Old Jan 16th 2009, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lucieg
I'm pretty sure it states that you must have worked or studied full time for at least one year. So unless you started working the minute you got off the plane till the time you got back on it, I don't see how you could score points for this section
I asked this question directly to the staff at the CHC London stand at an emigration fair in York organised by Outbound Publishing (was Canada News/now Emigrate Canada) back in May 2005 before I applied for PR. They informed me that the BUNAC visa was worth the 5 points as I had a work permit valid for a full year - I clearly told them that I had had gaps in my employment during that year (and that I'd actually not been in Canada for quite the full year) and they said that that wasn't a problem, I'd still be awarded the 5 adaptability points by CHC London. I went through my points in all areas with them (thinking I didn't have enough at that point) and they said I did and encouraged me to apply ASAP to get my place in line.

I'm not saying that that's what it states in the regulations, but then again we know that CHC London seem to 'bend the rules' slightly in certain areas...

Up to you what you decide to do, I'm just passing on what they told me then. I did apply 2 months later in July 2005, and did get my visa.

Adele
Old Jan 16th 2009, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by adele
I asked this question directly to the staff at the CHC London stand at an emigration fair in York organised by Outbound Publishing (was Canada News/now Emigrate Canada) back in May 2005 before I applied for PR. They informed me that the BUNAC visa was worth the 5 points as I had a work permit valid for a full year - I clearly told them that I had had gaps in my employment during that year (and that I'd actually not been in Canada for quite the full year) and they said that that wasn't a problem, I'd still be awarded the 5 adaptability points by CHC London. I went through my points in all areas with them (thinking I didn't have enough at that point) and they said I did and encouraged me to apply ASAP to get my place in line.

I'm not saying that that's what it states in the regulations, but then again we know that CHC London seem to 'bend the rules' slightly in certain areas...

Up to you what you decide to do, I'm just passing on what they told me then. I did apply 2 months later in July 2005, and did get my visa.

Adele
Hey anything that benefits my application I'm happy to go with
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

We came on BUNAC and then applied for PR via BC PNP whilst here - no problems at all.

Good luck