Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can you apply for Canadian Passport without Citizenship Certificate

Can you apply for Canadian Passport without Citizenship Certificate

Old Apr 22nd 2009, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

rizzelator is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can you apply for Canadian Passport without Citizenship Certificate

I am born outside of canada to a canadian parent, currently awaiting my citizenship certificate to arrive, but in another thread a poster stated that I did not need the citizenship certificate to apply for a canadian passport but didnt give any details.

Is this true? And if so can anyone point me in the right direction and the documentation etc? On the passport canada website it says that the citizenship certificate is required.

Also anyone with any updates on how long it took them to recieve a citizenship certificate would be appreciated (I'm at about 10 1/2 months!)

Thanks!
rizz
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you apply for Canadian Passport without Citizenship Certificate

Originally Posted by rizzelator
I am born outside of canada to a canadian parent, currently awaiting my citizenship certificate to arrive, but in another thread a poster stated that I did not need the citizenship certificate to apply for a canadian passport but didnt give any details.

Is this true? And if so can anyone point me in the right direction and the documentation etc? On the passport canada website it says that the citizenship certificate is required.

Also anyone with any updates on how long it took them to recieve a citizenship certificate would be appreciated (I'm at about 10 1/2 months!)

Thanks!
rizz
Our sons (born in UK, with Canadian father) got their passports long before they got their citizenship cards...in fact their cards took many months to arrive after we moved out to Canada, on their Canadian passports, despite the applications being submitted at around the same time. The citizenship cards arrived 9 months after we applied for them.

I cannot clearly remember what proof of eligibility we needed for their passport applications, but it definitely wasn't their citizenship cards... Probably birth certs for them and their father, if I recall (it was nearly 4 years ago now!)
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 4:05 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
Our sons (born in UK, with Canadian father) got their passports long before they got their citizenship cards...in fact their cards took many months to arrive after we moved out to Canada, on their Canadian passports, despite the applications being submitted at around the same time. The citizenship cards arrived 9 months after we applied for them.

I cannot clearly remember what proof of eligibility we needed for their passport applications, but it definitely wasn't their citizenship cards... Probably birth certs for them and their father, if I recall (it was nearly 4 years ago now!)
Not quite on the topic but you (and the original poster) should be aware of the new citizenship issues explained in this article:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canadi...hip_by_Descent
Old Apr 24th 2009, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

rizzelator is an unknown quantity at this point

I emailed CHC about this (as they offer passport services), unfortunately the email I got back was basically "leave us alone" bit frustrating.

Can anyone else help out on this?

Thanks
rizz
Old Apr 25th 2009, 5:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rizzelator
I emailed CHC about this (as they offer passport services), unfortunately the email I got back was basically "leave us alone" bit frustrating.

Can anyone else help out on this?
If you really asked about a temporary passport, and if London refused to respond, then try contacting Passport Canada:
http://www.ppt.gc.ca/service/contact.aspx?lang=eng
Old Apr 25th 2009, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not quite on the topic but you (and the original poster) should be aware of the new citizenship issues explained in this article:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canadi...hip_by_Descent
Probably being a bit dim, but I've read the wiki now and I still cannot see what relevance it has to our situation, unless you mean the fact that it sounds like, if our boys were to father children outside of Canada, their kids wouldn't be entitled to Citizenship? Is that what you meant?

Thanks!
Old Apr 25th 2009, 4:08 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
Probably being a bit dim, but I've read the wiki now and I still cannot see what relevance it has to our situation, unless you mean the fact that it sounds like, if our boys were to father children outside of Canada, their kids wouldn't be entitled to Citizenship? Is that what you meant?
Correct!

Your future grandchildren, if born outside Canada, will not automatically be Canadian citizens UNLESS one parent is in the public service of Canada OR (needless to say) the other parent is born or naturalised in Canada.

However, they could be sponsored to Canada as immigrants and immediately granted citizenship.

Just be aware of the law (which could of course change), and make sure your boys are aware of it when older. It could be important. And a lot of people in this situation are unaware of the issue until it's too late.