Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can we live in Canada while awaiting PR?

Can we live in Canada while awaiting PR?

Old Jul 4th 2004, 8:01 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Can we live in Canada while awaiting PR?

Originally posted by joelsa
We are thinking along the same lines as you, we`re fed up with waiting to hear something(aor received jan 04) We know it`ll be ages yet, but we`ve got itchy feet and feel we could be there doing something, i.e. looking for work, areas to live ect. Only problem is our eldest child is starting school soon (sept) and we were wondering if she could go to school for 6 months while were there, anyone know? I know it all seems a bit hasty, frustration getting the better of us i suppose.

Jo xx
Yes your child can go to school in Canada for the 6 months. You need to apply for a study permit (if from London then only takes a matter of days to come) and you have to pay the school fees. My experience is that some little private schools are actually much cheaper than sending your child to the local state school. We were all set to do this, but didn't in the end. I felt it was too much of an upheaval.
Old Jul 12th 2004, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

matty266 will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by scollis
To live in Canada do we have to have a job or PR?
We have enough funds to buy a hobby farm and live including medical insurance etc and accept that we cannot work in paid employment while our application for PR is being processed. So can we buy a property and set up home? Would we have to worry about the Temporary Residence Visa expiring and not being renewed? I appreciate we would be taking a gamble and may be rejected but I need to know how we stand legally.
Can anyone tell me please?
Thanks
Sweepthecat
I too am in canda 'Living' i say with quotes as I am not a PR yet. I look after The children and my wife works because she is a canadian citizien. But i am a British citizien still and reside in that country because i am on a Vistors visa which more than likley you probably are ir runs out nov and as my pr application is in process at the moment i will apply to extend my visa using my application and job i do house wife as evidence to extend. (Thankyou Mr miller)

as for your vistor visa being renewed it could or might not be without proper evidence explaining why then it could harm your PR application escpesically if you stay longer than 6 months without an extension.

Yes i do belive you can buy property as a vistor and set up a home but cannot live in canada till Pr staus has been granted by cic at best if you want to stay in canada like myself wait and follow the laws regarding immigration and vistor visa

regards
matty266
Old Jul 17th 2004, 3:41 am
ACL
Forum Regular

ACL will become famous soon enough

We've bought a place in NS and are here out on holiday for 3 months but have just heard that hubbys application for study permit, mine for open work permit and the 3 childrens open study permits have all been approved.

This means that once we get issued our permits at the border we can stay for a whole year and if hubby secures work related to study course immediately afterwards he can work up to 2 years without HRDC approval (NS have extended the 1 year policy that they did have I think?)

Although the course is fairly pricy $7500, this also has benefits as the 3 children can attend school free for the whole year at the local school (we've had this confirmed). Health insurance for all 5 of us is $1400 done through the community college which I believe is quite good value.

Anyway.....really excited about staying at least a full year and we will get our PR applications in later this summer and keep our fingers crossed that if successful (and given that hubby maybe able to secure related employment for 2 years) we may never have to return to live in the UK.

Good Luck and best wishes

carolyn
Old Jul 18th 2004, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

scollis is a jewel in the roughscollis is a jewel in the roughscollis is a jewel in the roughscollis is a jewel in the rough

Thank you all for your replies.
It is interesting to here different points of view and circumstances. I hope others are finding the information useful.
Thanks to all and keep 'em coming.
Sweep

Originally posted by ACL
We've bought a place in NS and are here out on holiday for 3 months but have just heard that hubbys application for study permit, mine for open work permit and the 3 childrens open study permits have all been approved.

This means that once we get issued our permits at the border we can stay for a whole year and if hubby secures work related to study course immediately afterwards he can work up to 2 years without HRDC approval (NS have extended the 1 year policy that they did have I think?)

Although the course is fairly pricy $7500, this also has benefits as the 3 children can attend school free for the whole year at the local school (we've had this confirmed). Health insurance for all 5 of us is $1400 done through the community college which I believe is quite good value.

Anyway.....really excited about staying at least a full year and we will get our PR applications in later this summer and keep our fingers crossed that if successful (and given that hubby maybe able to secure related employment for 2 years) we may never have to return to live in the UK.

Good Luck and best wishes

carolyn