Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can we live in Canada while awaiting PR?

Can we live in Canada while awaiting PR?

Old Jul 3rd 2004, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

scollis is a jewel in the roughscollis is a jewel in the roughscollis is a jewel in the roughscollis is a jewel in the rough
Default Can we live in Canada while awaiting PR?

To live in Canada do we have to have a job or PR?
We have enough funds to buy a hobby farm and live including medical insurance etc and accept that we cannot work in paid employment while our application for PR is being processed. So can we buy a property and set up home? Would we have to worry about the Temporary Residence Visa expiring and not being renewed? I appreciate we would be taking a gamble and may be rejected but I need to know how we stand legally.
Can anyone tell me please?
Thanks
Sweepthecat
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 3:53 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Can we live in Canada while awaiting PR?

Originally posted by scollis
We have enough funds to buy a hobby farm and live including medical insurance etc and accept that we cannot work in paid employment while our application for PR is being processed. So can we buy a property and set up home? Would we have to worry about the Temporary Residence Visa expiring and not being renewed? I appreciate we would be taking a gamble and may be rejected but I need to know how we stand legally.
Thanks
Sweepthecat
Depends of which country you are a citizen of. If you are from the UK you can live in Canada for 6 months but once this time is up you must leave the country and then return. By doing this you run the gauntlet of not being allowed back in.

Which country are you a citizen of?
Which Visa office did you apply to?

Our timeline:

Sold UK property - June 2003
"In process" since - 19th June 2003
Purchase Ontario property - April 2004

Nothing since! London CHC.
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 4:10 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

You can only visit Canada for up to 6 months if you are not a PR and don't have proper work or study permit.

You cannot work either, regardless if job is paid on unpaid. You cannot work in your own business either without work permit.

But staying in Canada during PR process is possible, providing that all is done properly - many rush and make often stupid mistakes that not only make extended stay impossible but also negatively affects their PR applications.

"Don't do it at home" if you are not 100% sure what to do - ask professional for assistance.

Thanks
Sweepthecat
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

scollis is a jewel in the roughscollis is a jewel in the roughscollis is a jewel in the roughscollis is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Andrew Miller
You can only visit Canada for up to 6 months if you are not a PR and don't have proper work or study permit.

You cannot work either, regardless if job is paid on unpaid. You cannot work in your own business either without work permit.

But staying in Canada during PR process is possible, providing that all is done properly - many rush and make often stupid mistakes that not only make extended stay impossible but also negatively affects their PR applications.

"Don't do it at home" if you are not 100% sure what to do - ask professional for assistance.
Hello Andrew,
Thank you for your prompt reply.
Can we invest in properties to rent out while awaiting PR? Or would we have to keep funds in bank accounts and live off of interest?
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 4:43 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there,
Got yours! Response via PM.

Your plans sound great, but my advice is just be patient.
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Tiaribbon
Hi there,
Got yours! Response via PM.

Your plans sound great, but my advice is just be patient.
Have you been patient? LOL

Thank you for the reply let me know anything that you think is relavent please.
Thanks
Sweepthecat
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 5:03 am
Premium Member

Have you been patient? LOL

Thank you for the reply let me know anything that you think is relavent please.
Thanks
Sweepthecat
LOL!!! Yes you have to be.......no choice! I think what does help is the knowing that UK citizens will probably have to wait no longer than 18 months for PR when a lot of people on this forum have been waiting 4 or 5 YEARS! That, I find, is very humbling.
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

LOL!!! Yes you have to be.......no choice! I think what does help is the knowing that UK citizens will probably have to wait no longer than 18 months for PR when a lot of people on this forum have been waiting 4 or 5 YEARS! That, I find, is very humbling.
I agree but I also find it hard to understand why it will take weeks to send the AOR even!
So are you working or have you gone out on a limb so to speak?
I can not apply for teaching posts until I am over there and therefore it will mean giving up work and taking the plunge at some point.
One day... my dream will come true
Sweepthecat
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 5:15 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, you can as long as you don't work.

Hello Andrew,
Thank you for your prompt reply.
Can we invest in properties to rent out while awaiting PR? Or would we have to keep funds in bank accounts and live off of interest?
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 5:24 am
Premium Member

I agree but I also find it hard to understand why it will take weeks to send the AOR even!
So are you working or have you gone out on a limb so to speak?
I can not apply for teaching posts until I am over there and therefore it will mean giving up work and taking the plunge at some point.
One day... my dream will come true
Sweepthecat
Haven't worked since selling the stables (not that this was real work) and have been incredibly bored for at least the first 6 months over the past year.

I am starting to get quite enthusiastic about the order in which everything should be done once we finally move. I have started researching prices of animals and locations of markets. I am still searching MLS weekly looking for the other houses to buy, so not completely sitting around doing nothing now.

We are in Canada every 6 weeks which takes a little bit of organising; ie. meeting up with friends etc.

When we came back from Canada just recently, our pony was on death's door so I have spent a lot of time nursing her back to health.

You don't want to try to understand why it takes them so long to do anything at CHC, otherwise you will turn yourself in knots. If you look at PR taking approx 18 months then you can start to work by that time-frame. It is not easy but it's the best you can do. It will come around quicker than you think.
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

Haven't worked since selling the stables (not that this was real work) and have been incredibly bored for at least the first 6 months over the past year.

I am starting to get quite enthusiastic about the order in which everything should be done once we finally move. I have started researching prices of animals and locations of markets. I am still searching MLS weekly looking for the other houses to buy, so not completely sitting around doing nothing now.

We are in Canada every 6 weeks which takes a little bit of organising; ie. meeting up with friends etc.

When we came back from Canada just recently, our pony was on death's door so I have spent a lot of time nursing her back to health.

You don't want to try to understand why it takes them so long to do anything at CHC, otherwise you will turn yourself in knots. If you look at PR taking approx 18 months then you can start to work by that time-frame. It is not easy but it's the best you can do. It will come around quicker than you think.
That all sounds very organised and interesting. I guess you don't suffer from jet lag.
I think our change in circumstances has made us both question why are we sitting here worrying when we could be there exploring!
No ties here to hold us back and now only one job so as we are not getting any younger life as they say seems too short to hang around. I suppose the young people of today have a gap year between education stages we are contemplating a gap year between work stages.
Whatever it seems very exciting.
Sweep
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 5:53 am
Premium Member

That all sounds very organised and interesting. I guess you don't suffer from jet lag.
I think our change in circumstances has made us both question why are we sitting here worrying when we could be there exploring!
No ties here to hold us back and now only one job so as we are not getting any younger life as they say seems too short to hang around. I suppose the young people of today have a gap year between education stages we are contemplating a gap year between work stages.
Sweep
You know if we didn't have all the animals and were without children we would also consider what you are thinking of doing. We have looked at a number of ways of jumping the gun but I always get cold feet and as we are so close to PR I would rather wait than rock the boat.

You, on the other hand have only just started on your voyage and if you are in a position where you have no ties then why the heck not go for it?

I completely agree with you that life is too short to sit back and wait for things to happen, however we have far more than just ourselves to consider so hanging around is the option available to us right now. Just think of all that energy I will have when we finally get out there!
Old Jul 4th 2004, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

Mike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant future

Are you 35 or under? If so you should have a look at BUNAC for a work visa........................it will give you and your dependant a year in Canada.

Mike

Sweep
Old Jul 4th 2004, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Mike1967
Are you 35 or under? If so you should have a look at BUNAC for a work visa........................it will give you and your dependant a year in Canada.

Mike
No Mike I'm a little over that! But thank you for the thoughtful idea I have passed it on to my son who is under 35!
Sweep
Old Jul 4th 2004, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

Thanks
Sweepthecat

We are thinking along the same lines as you, we`re fed up with waiting to hear something(aor received jan 04) We know it`ll be ages yet, but we`ve got itchy feet and feel we could be there doing something, i.e. looking for work, areas to live ect. Only problem is our eldest child is starting school soon (sept) and we were wondering if she could go to school for 6 months while were there, anyone know? I know it all seems a bit hasty, frustration getting the better of us i suppose.

Jo xx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.