Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can UK nurses get a temporary work permit?

Can UK nurses get a temporary work permit?

Old Oct 29th 2022, 11:26 am
Just Joined

Alex1981 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can UK nurses get a temporary work permit?

Hi,

I’m trying to get a valid nurse job offer so I can apply for a work permit, do I need an employer to apply for LMIA for me? If so, how do I find an employer who’s willing to do that?

Thank you
Old Oct 29th 2022, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

CooryIn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can UK nurses get a temporary work permit?

Hi Alex what province are you looking at? As you need to be licensed for your desired province first. Then you could see about getting a job offer from the relevant health authority. I know that BC has several health authorities and they have jobs listed on healthmatch bc and they are trying to make it easier for international nurses to get licensedThen you can apply for PR rather than a work permit….that’s my understanding anyway.
From my research you don’t need an LMIA for nursing as it is such a desired occupation and you can apply through skilled worker health worker streams once you have an offer from a health authority.
Once you have an idea what province you prefer it’s an easier question to answer. Are you a general adult nurse or mental health nurse?
hope this helps
Old Oct 29th 2022, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

Hi Coorlyn,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I’m looking at Alberta. Currently waiting for NNAS to assess my credentials so I can apply for CARNA license. I’m a general nurse.
I will submit my express entry profile in January as I’m also awaiting for WES to assess my credentials.
So once I’m in the’pool’ will I be able to apply for a job, or would the employers pick me? How does this work?

Many thanks
Old Oct 29th 2022, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Hi so if you are looking at Alberta I would go to Alberta health services/careers/international applicants (sorry as I’m new here I can’t copy urls)
they are welcoming international applicants to apply for jobs, they should be able to guide you through the process
With regards to express entry I think you can make your profile at anytime and once you have a job offer you would update your profile with the job details which would increase your points (I think)
you can also ask Alberta for provincial nomination and that boosts your points as well
i think this is the right info, I haven’t went through the process myself just researching as still doing my training at this point
Old Oct 29th 2022, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

Do you have enough points to go in to the express pool without a job offer?
Old Oct 29th 2022, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

I will definitely try that. I don’t think I have enough points without an offer. I mean I do qualify with the 67points, but the CRS points are not enough for me to get an invitation to apply for PR, so I would need a valid job offer.
Are you still in the UK? Or are you training in Canada?

Thank you
Old Oct 29th 2022, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

Yes I’m still in the UK, in Scotland. I’m in my 3rd year of mh nursing and once I have 2 years work exp post registration I am going to make the move. I can’t decide whether to go to Alberta, BC or Saskatchewan, they all appeal to me for various reasons. Will you please come back and let us know how you get on with Nnas and Wes? Hope it goes smoothly for you
Old Oct 29th 2022, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

Sure, I’ll keep you posted once something happens
Calgary is good, it’s nice and still affordable. Close to the beautiful mountains.. been there twice, we’ve got friends there..
Vancouver is so expensive..
There’s lots of videos on YouTube if you want to see Canmore, Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper in Alberta if you haven’t been yet . Canmore and Banff are an hour drive from the city.
That made me choose Calgary, I like the city and the nature equally.

Old Oct 30th 2022, 1:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by Alex1981
Hi,

I’m trying to get a valid nurse job offer so I can apply for a work permit, do I need an employer to apply for LMIA for me? If so, how do I find an employer who’s willing to do that?

Thank you
For a 'normal' work permit, then yes you need a sponsoring employer/job offer/LMIA. Or as CooryIn has said, you could go down the PNP route. That doesn't require a LMIA, although it can be even more onerous for employers and can also take longer (depending on the province and stream), so often they would prefer to do the LMIA/TWP.

I will submit my express entry profile in January as I’m also awaiting for WES to assess my credentials.
So once I’m in the’pool’ will I be able to apply for a job, or would the employers pick me? How does this work?
EE has nothing to do with job hunting, so you can apply anytime (you don't need to be in the pool to job hunt). What is your current CRS score? And what will it be if you do get a job offer?

You'll need to be licensed to work, and that can take well over a year, so you may find you get PR before that, depending on your scores.

HTH a bit, good luck.
Old Oct 30th 2022, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

My CRS score isn’t great without a job offer. With it and with a provincial nomination goes up to 900 and something
How do I job hunt?
Do you have a link I could try?
I’m a nurse

Kind regards

Alexandra
Old Oct 30th 2022, 6:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

My CRS score isn’t great without a job offer. With it and with a provincial nomination goes up to 900 and something
How do I job hunt?
Do you have a link I could try?
I’m a nurse

Kind regards

Alexandra
So your score is 300ish without PNP? That seems low tbh, can you double check your score (make sure you're using the official calculator) and give us a breakdown of it? I'm wondering if you're missing some points somewhere.

You'll need to be licensed first first, not much point in job hunting until then tbh. But there's a huge section on Job Hunting in the Wiki so start with that.

HTH.
Old Nov 1st 2022, 9:18 am
Just Joined

Is it possible to get another job until I get my license, I want to get to Canada ASAP.
I was thinking to work as a healthcare aide until I am able to do nursing.
Do you think that could be an option?
Old Nov 1st 2022, 9:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Is it possible to get another job until I get my license, I want to get to Canada ASAP.
I was thinking to work as a healthcare aide until I am able to do nursing.
Do you think that could be an option?
For a company to get a LMIA, they'd need to prove they have advertised the job and been unable to find a Canadian wiling, or able to do the job. If they do have Canadian applicants, then they'd need to prove you have more experience and relevant qualifications. So if it's a job you've done previously, then that's a good option but you can't just do any old job as the LMIA is likely to be refused.

Even that will take 6 months or so (and that's assuming you get a job offer straight away, which may not happen), so tbh I'd say you're better off waiting for the nursing side of things. Particularly as I'm guessing a healthcare aide won't get paid a huge amount, and Canada is a very expensive country!

You're not by any chance aged 30 or under are you? I assume not give your username, but just checking……!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 1st 2022 at 9:47 am.
Old Nov 1st 2022, 11:33 am
Just Joined

Yes that’s my year of birth so I’m not 30 anymore
Thanks for the advice, I’ll see what I can do..
Our wish was to get there in July, but it looks like it’s unlikely
I haven’t even submitted my express entry profile yet, they don’t accept the academic IELTS , they want the General. I think that’s a bit silly
So I’m going for the test in about two weeks
Old Nov 1st 2022, 11:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes that’s my year of birth so I’m not 30 anymore
Thanks for the advice, I’ll see what I can do..
Our wish was to get there in July, but it looks like it’s unlikely
I haven’t even submitted my express entry profile yet, they don’t accept the academic IELTS , they want the General. I think that’s a bit silly
So I’m going for the test in about two weeks
July would be pushing it even for a temp work permit, unless you already had a job offer/sponsoring employer. And that's leaving aside the licensing side of things, which can take years (example post here - UK Nurse trying to get to canada).

I wouldn't worry about your EE profile or IELTS if you're only scoring 300ish? No point in bothering with that as you wouldn't be eligible anyway, so personally I'd just focus on getting licensed for now as your IELTS is likely to have expired by the time that's sorted anyway.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 1st 2022 at 2:12 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.