British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Can u work when on implied status?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/can-u-work-when-implied-status-648638/)

staceyw82 Jan 11th 2010 6:56 pm

Can u work when on implied status??

While waiting for LMO for a TWP after being here on a working holiday visa for 1 yr in full time employment? Whilst also applying for PR.
Thanks

purple80 Jan 12th 2010 12:10 pm

Re: Can u work when on implied status??

Originally Posted by staceyw82 (Post 8238939)
While waiting for LMO for a TWP after being here on a working holiday visa for 1 yr in full time employment? Whilst also applying for PR.
Thanks

Yes you can work under implied status, the only thing I am not sure about is whether you actually have implied status.
Hopefully one of the experts will be along and answer the question more fully for you.

burton bunch Jan 12th 2010 2:45 pm

I know that once you submit an application to vegreville to extend or change your circumstances then you seem to deemed to have Implied status

humanist Jan 12th 2010 3:03 pm

Thanks

I'm pretty sure you can.

At this very moment I'm working in Toronto on Implied Status. My TWP extension is still in progress AND my PR application is in progress (well, it's "pending" but that's a different story!).

burton bunch Jan 12th 2010 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by humanist (Post 8241425)
I'm pretty sure you can.

At this very moment I'm working in Toronto on Implied Status. My TWP extension is still in progress AND my PR application is in progress (well, it's "pending" but that's a different story!).

But what happens if your employer cannot get a new LMO and you have done meds ? Do you get Implied then ?

humanist Jan 12th 2010 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by burton bunch (Post 8241444)
But what happens if your employer cannot get a new LMO and you have done meds ? Do you get Implied then ?

I was told quite categorically by immigration when I landed at TO airport last month that if my TWP application is rejected I must leave the country immediately.

To be honest I didn't even mention my PR application, but I imagine that it wouldn't make any difference and I would still have to leave if my TWP application is unsuccessful.

burton bunch Jan 12th 2010 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by humanist (Post 8241637)
I was told quite categorically by immigration when I landed at TO airport last month that if my TWP application is rejected I must leave the country immediately.

To be honest I didn't even mention my PR application, but I imagine that it wouldn't make any difference and I would still have to leave if my TWP application is unsuccessful.

But you could have gotten a visitor visa right? British Citizen and all that :confused:

humanist Jan 12th 2010 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by burton bunch (Post 8241645)
But you could have gotten a visitor visa right? British Citizen and all that :confused:

Oh yes, definitely. But if I had done that I couldn't work, not legally anyway.

Rob_999 Jan 12th 2010 6:41 pm

Thanks

You have to have submitted TWP application before current work permit expires to be on implied status - waiting for LMO does not count.

Jim Humphries Jan 12th 2010 6:44 pm

Any application for a TWP that is submitted without a LMO would be rejected right away.

AmyDavid Jan 12th 2010 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries (Post 8242353)
Any application for a TWP that is submitted without a LMO would be rejected right away.

Our's wasn't. It took over 80 days to be rejected.

canglish Jan 12th 2010 9:24 pm

Same! Mine hasn't been rejected yet and i sent it off mid october!

lucieg Jan 13th 2010 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by canglish (Post 8242871)
Same! Mine hasn't been rejected yet and i sent it off mid october!

Mine was the same...applied for an extension to my work permit (didn't bother applying for an lmo) in September 09 and then got a letter back from them in December 09 stating that their records showed that I had recently landed as PR so they would not be processing my application and had refunded the fee.

burton bunch Jan 13th 2010 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by lucieg (Post 8244830)
Mine was the same...applied for an extension to my work permit (didn't bother applying for an lmo) in September 09 and then got a letter back from them in December 09 stating that their records showed that I had recently landed as PR so they would not be processing my application and had refunded the fee.

But what do you do for your Provincial health - they need copy of TWP and if you havent received the TWP how can you give them a copy :confused:

AmyDavid Jan 13th 2010 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by burton bunch (Post 8245228)
But what do you do for your Provincial health - they need copy of TWP and if you havent received the TWP how can you give them a copy :confused:

Sadly, we had to go without MSI cover whilst we were on implied status - as they (Nova Scotia health at least) do not give you implied status on your Health cards.