Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

can u move family to canada then go down PNP route whilst you are there as a visitor?

can u move family to canada then go down PNP route whilst you are there as a visitor?

Old Sep 28th 2009, 4:47 am
Account Closed

Chi1iConCarnage is an unknown quantity at this point
Default can u move family to canada then go down PNP route whilst you are there as a visitor?

Hello everyone,
I know this is a crazy idea /suggestion but it does make sense when I explain our circumstances:

Our situation is I will be redundant over the next month here in the UK, and it makes sense for me to be out in Canada looking and networking. We plan to take almost nothing with us apart from sentimental stuff.

What we would like to do is secure some education for our 9 year old son whilst I'm looking...is this possible?

I have set up a number of informational interviews already. Even if PNP route is unavailable for a Brit looking for work over there, surely I could get a TWP which will eventually branch to a PR?

your experience and balanced advice welcome!
Old Sep 28th 2009, 4:54 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can u move family to canada then go down PNP route whilst you are there as a visi

Originally Posted by Chi1iConCarnage
Hello everyone,
I know this is a crazy idea /suggestion but it does make sense when I explain our circumstances:

Our situation is I will be redundant over the next month here in the UK, and it makes sense for me to be out in Canada looking and networking. We plan to take almost nothing with us apart from sentimental stuff.

What we would like to do is secure some education for our 9 year old son whilst I'm looking...is this possible?

I have set up a number of informational interviews already. Even if PNP route is unavailable for a Brit looking for work over there, surely I could get a TWP which will eventually branch to a PR?

your experience and balanced advice welcome!
No, not much of that makes sense, it is a somewhat crazy and idea - acquaint yourself with the various categories of visa that might be available to you in the Wiki, then re-think.

Without any residency status (temporary or permanent), getting your son into school's pretty unlikely.

A TWP doesn't necessarily mean eventual PR, and your expectation that 'surely I could get a TWP' depends on your skills, qualifications, and nature of work you're looking for. It's not necessarily easy.

Having said all that, I moved here after a redundancy as a visitor, applied for a TWP to start a business and concurrently applied for PR (which was issued 3yrs later). The 2 applications were independent of each other - a TWP for self employed purposes doesn't give you a route to PR.

Last edited by R I C H; Sep 28th 2009 at 4:57 am.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 5:52 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can u move family to canada then go down PNP route whilst you are there as a visi

Originally Posted by Chi1iConCarnage
Hello everyone,
I know this is a crazy idea
With a child involved it is a crazy idea, glad you realized that. If you were single, might be worth a try, worst is you have to return to the UK after 6 months.

If you could get your child into school, you would have to pay international fees. What would you do if you could not get them into school? Travel insurance may not cover you (particulalry once you apply for residency), what would you do about medical care? Dental is not free and quite expensive. If you did get travel insurance coverage, if anyone of your family is seriously injured or taken ill, the insurer may well decide to repatriate them to the UK for medical treatment. Any benefits you would be entitled to in the UK would also likley stop if you were out of the country.

A more sensible way to do it would be to come out as a visitor alone for a couple of months, do as you say and do your research and make contacts. Get everything in place and once it is sorted, move over with your family.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 7:41 am
Account Closed

Chi1iConCarnage is an unknown quantity at this point

Sometimes good ideas come out of crazy ones! I apppreciate the feedback.
I will consider the route of comming out to Canada for a couple of months to get things sorted. I must say this web forum is so helpful!