Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can spouses apply for visas separately?

Wikiposts

Can spouses apply for visas separately?

Old Feb 20th 2016, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

unique at last is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can spouses apply for visas separately?

My husband has a job offer with an LMIA in new Brunswick and will be flying out in April. I plan to go in the summer with the children. (I have posted before, I'll be staying to tie up things here - downsizing so we can take funds with us while keeping a smaller property in the UK.

The plan was always for me not to work when we arrived so the fact that I cannot work on his visa (he's NOC cat C) was and is not a problem. We'll apply for PR via their PNP once he's been there long enough and fits the criteria.

EE is not an option at the moment as although we could apply and get into the poll via me (NOC cat A), we don't have enough points to actually get an invitation (426 points) and unlikely to be able to get more.

However, I was wondering if I could apply for PNP in NB in my own right to enable myself to go back to work when I choose? I've had my educational credentials assessed (they translate to 2 Canadian degrees- 4 year bachelor of arts and a bachelor of education) and my IELTS points score is 9. Would it be any quicker for me? Once we get there, could I potentially job hunt to try and get into the labour market stream?

Just a pondering so any advice welcome and it's not a big deal if the answer is no, as I said the plan is for me to not work and settle the children anyway.
Old Feb 20th 2016, 9:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can spouses apply for visas separately?

You can apply if you're eligible, yes. You'd simply become the principal applicant instead of your husband, so you'd put him and your children on your application and you'd all get PR from your application.

Either one of you can apply, it doesn't matter which of you.

HTH.
Old Feb 20th 2016, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for such a prompt response. So just to idiot-proof myself, he can be working with his TWP and I can be the one that applies for PNP even though I'm not the one working?

I'm really looking forward to being a stay at home mum for a while but I just want as secure and as many options as possible. I was thinking of waiting until I arrive to start searching the job market as I've read often that it's much better to job hunt face to face in Canada.
Old Feb 20th 2016, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Your Q depends on the eligibility criteria of the particular PNP program you are hoping to apply under (all the provinces have different programs with different streams), but essentially, if you meet the eligibility criteria (many streams require a job offer but not all), you can apply/submit an Expression of Interest with your husband as accompanying.

As well, if you really think you will get 426 points if you create an EE profile, personally I'd do this (if you haven't already?). If by chance, there eventually is a draw at (e.g.) 425 points and above, you'd be kicking yourself if you weren't in the pool. Further: many PNP programs have an EE stream requiring an EE profile.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Feb 20th 2016 at 4:35 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2016, 8:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unique at last
Thank you for such a prompt response. So just to idiot-proof myself, he can be working with his TWP and I can be the one that applies for PNP even though I'm not the one working?
Yes, if you qualify - most PNP streams require you to have a job offer or to be working in the province already.

And FWIW, I totally agree with Snowy's suggestion - at 426 points you're not too far off the minimum points score for EE so far, so I'd get in the pool asap personally.

Best of luck.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Thank you both very much for your responses. Off to do our EE applications now. I'd thought there was no point as it was below the magic 450 but you are both absolutely right, I'd be gutted if there was a selection and I'd missed it through thoughtlessness.

I'll wait for the PNP until I get there and make sure that I can qualify by trying to find a job. I'm a teacher so I know that is a no-go especially from here but once I'm there I could talk face to face to potential employers and let them see my skills.