Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

can someone post an idiots guide to spousal sponsership please?

Wikiposts

can someone post an idiots guide to spousal sponsership please?

Old Sep 14th 2007, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of
Default can someone post an idiots guide to spousal sponsership please?

every time i read these forums i get more and more confused. so can someone post a simple guide to spousal sponsership?

ie my circumstances. im a PR and will be returning to canada for good in a few weeks. my wife will come on a work permit at first (just waiting for the lmo)

so i understand i can apply to sponser her through london UK cic office, even though we will be IN canada, correct so far?
now i have all the forms for IN canada application, but im not sure exactly how to go about applying via the UK. i understand the only risk is if she gets called for an interview she would have to fly to the UK for the interview correct?

now i have also seen posts hinting spousal applicants dont need a medical. is this correct? im sure they do need one..

now it seems to me the only benefit of applying throught UK is its quicker. correct?

sorry if im asking soemthing that been asked 100's of times. but maybe we could get a nice simple step by step guide, ie in really simple terms like 1. get froms from (www.insert correct page here) 2. fill these parts in. etc etc.. and then make it a sticky??

thanks for your help, again

Scott (on cara's lovely girly screen name )
Old Sep 14th 2007, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: can someone post an idiots guide to spousal sponsership please?

All of the information you need is on the CIC website in plain English, I'm not sure where you are getting confused. Spousal applications do need a medical, this is required upfront before you submit your application.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
All of the information you need is on the CIC website in plain English, I'm not sure where you are getting confused. Spousal applications do need a medical, this is required upfront before you submit your application.
problem is the CIC website is so out of date in soem areas. and some links send you to pages that are no longer valid.

also no where on the CIC website does it say you can apply OUT of canada if you are IN canada.

also a lot of people on here keep giving conflicting info.

hence i think if soemone knowledgeable could do a guide and make it a sticky it might save a lot of people asking the same things over and over.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kittykerr
problem is the CIC website is so out of date in soem areas. and some links send you to pages that are no longer valid.

also no where on the CIC website does it say you can apply OUT of canada if you are IN canada.

also a lot of people on here keep giving conflicting info.

hence i think if soemone knowledgeable could do a guide and make it a sticky it might save a lot of people asking the same things over and over.
also the CIC site doesnt explain things like can you do the medical in canada even if you are applying via the UK?
Old Sep 14th 2007, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

also another question.
on the forms talking about the relationship, it says do you currently live with you sponser. how do you answer this if you are applying out of canada but are in fact living in canada? and there are similar questions about maintaining contact. ie does your sponser visit you. now these questions seem to apply to people who have met but dont really live together, ie met over the net. but we have lived together for 6 yers, and obviosuly would be at the time of filling these forms, so how do you honestly answer them, cos they are suggesting one is in canada, one abroad, if you are in fact both in canada?
for example question 28 on this http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kit...s/IMM5490E.PDF i will be in canada, and so will she, but we still need to fill this form to appy via london UK..

also in the documents it says residents of the UK should wait for police certificates to be requested. but then on the regional specific forms it says they should be attached. so which is it? wait until requested or send them right away?

these are my reasons for saying CIC isnt clear. cos the forms are obviously set to either be in or out of canada. not a mixture of the two.

thanks for all the help. just want to make sure i get it right first time.

Last edited by Kittykerr; Sep 15th 2007 at 12:42 am.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kittykerr
every time i read these forums i get more and more confused. so can someone post a simple guide to spousal sponsership?

ie my circumstances. im a PR and will be returning to canada for good in a few weeks. my wife will come on a work permit at first (just waiting for the lmo)

so i understand i can apply to sponser her through london UK cic office, even though we will be IN canada, correct so far?
now i have all the forms for IN canada application, but im not sure exactly how to go about applying via the UK. i understand the only risk is if she gets called for an interview she would have to fly to the UK for the interview correct?

now i have also seen posts hinting spousal applicants dont need a medical. is this correct? im sure they do need one..

now it seems to me the only benefit of applying throught UK is its quicker. correct?

sorry if im asking soemthing that been asked 100's of times. but maybe we could get a nice simple step by step guide, ie in really simple terms like 1. get froms from (www.insert correct page here) 2. fill these parts in. etc etc.. and then make it a sticky??

thanks for your help, again

Scott (on cara's lovely girly screen name )
yes they do..and a police clearance for each country the have lived in for more than 6mths!

( i answered this for you in more detail in the other thread you posted the same query)...
Old Sep 15th 2007, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

hello again...yes indeed it can become very confusing...esp..when there is different ways to apply through inland and outside of Canada.And there can be subtle differences between conjugal, common law and spouse visa requirements aswell.

within this thread here > sponsorship from within Canada

and

Out-land spousal apps sent August 1st, any news

in those threads you will find people who have and are doing the application route the way you are.

Last edited by Maple Leaf; Sep 15th 2007 at 2:41 am.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

also..there is a thread....
>

Sponsorship Family Class CIC manuals

maybe have a look through the manuals would be helpful too....good luck..
Old Sep 15th 2007, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Giggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant future

Hi, kittykerr!

Don't worry, I was completely confused about this whole in-land/out-land process for the spousal sponsorship! The CIC web site in not easy to follow, I found that the more I read it, the more confused I got! That's why I join forums like this because I could get a straight answer to any question I asked from people who had been or are going through the same thing!

Here is what I said on another post:

Re: Moved: sponsorship from within Canada

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabella
So Kate, and I hope you don't mind my asking you all this, what do I do to be sponsored out-land. Do I obtain the region specific forms ie France, Western Europe, and fill them out as if I am still there although I am here. Thus I would do my medical in Paris, complete all the forms and get my sponsor to submit them? Perhaps I haven't understood this thoroughly when consulting the CIC site but this possibility isn't mentioned, although perhaps I have misunderstood or missed it.
Thanks,
Anne

..."Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, annabella!

Here is the link to the CIC web site to download the forms for an out-land application. Everything you need to fill in is there.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...cations/fc.asp

If you don't want to download, there is also an option for you to have the application mailed to you instead.

You know, I found out all the information that I needed from great people on discussion forums like this. The CIC web site is awful to follow, it sends you here, there and EVERYWHERE! I was so confused and getting completely frustrated every time I bloody looked at that site (don't feel bad about getting confused with the CIC web site Pog, it's not you it's most definitely the site!).

Before I knew about the option of doing an out-land app, we had prepared ourselves for the long wait of an inland and I did all my medicals here in Montreal. When we decided on out-land I called CIC and they said it was OK for me to use the medicals I had done here for an out-land. You don't have to go to France or England (Whichever you decided to go through) to have them done. You can have them done in Canada, just make sure you tell the Doctor that it's for an out-land application so they know!! I think the medicals get sent to the same place anyway, but just to be sure, I would tell them!

The only part of the form that I was a little unsure about was when it asks you what your residential address is and what is your mailing address. Since you are applying out-land when still in Canada put you Paris address (if you still have one) as residential and Canadian address as mailing address. This way all letters they send you will get to you in Canada and not be sent to France.

Apart from that, it was pretty straight forward. The CIC consultants are very confusing and not 100% helpful, so I would stick to getting info from the super helpful people on here! We are all going through this or have been through it and there is no better people to ask, if you ask me! hahaha!

If there is anything else I can help you with, just ask! "

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm actually in Canada and I'm applying through London. You can do the same thing, you just have to fill in the right form (use the link above)...you can also do the medical while you are in Canada too, I did and I have had no problems with that. I even called CIC to make sure and they said it was fine.

If you have any other questions about this, I will be more than happy to help you! I'm still going through the process right now, we sent our application in on July 31st and it was received on August 1st in Missisauga. Our app is now on it's way to London (should be there by now, actually!!!!) Hope we hear something soon!!

Just remember, don't stress yourself out about it, I know it can be confusing but it will be worth it all in the end!!

Cheers!!

Kate