Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can someone help me? So much advice needed!

Can someone help me? So much advice needed!

Old Nov 16th 2004, 3:50 am
Just Joined

SMurry is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Can someone help me? So much advice needed!

Crossed posted from Lifestyle & Culture Forum

I am Canadian born and bred, living in Scotland. I have four children, British born, and a British husband of 17 months.

I have just found out that my father (living in BC Canada) has got cancer for the second time in 8 years, so I really want to go home as soon as possible, for obvious reasons.

I work in admin (book keeper) and my husband is a baker to trade so I think we would be able to get work relatively easy. My problem is that my husband has two criminal convictions, 1986 assault and breach of the peace, £86 fine for both, 1998 possession of offensive weapon and breach of the peace, £250 fine for both. As there were mitigating circumstances there was no other penalties, no probation etc.

Also, as a Canadian born and bred, how long would it take for just me to get in if heaven forbid, my father’s health deteriorates?

I got some feedback on the other thread but thought it couldn't hurt to post here too!
Old Nov 16th 2004, 4:30 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can someone help me? So much advice needed!

As a Canadian citizen you can come back at any time without asking anyone for permission. Your children are Canadians as well - you need to apply for their proof of Canadian citizenship and after such received for Canadian passports.

As for your husband - you may need professional assistance in the process of his immigration application as he will have to apply for Criminal REhabilitation as well (if found eligible).

Originally Posted by SMurry
Crossed posted from Lifestyle & Culture Forum

I am Canadian born and bred, living in Scotland. I have four children, British born, and a British husband of 17 months.

I have just found out that my father (living in BC Canada) has got cancer for the second time in 8 years, so I really want to go home as soon as possible, for obvious reasons.

I work in admin (book keeper) and my husband is a baker to trade so I think we would be able to get work relatively easy. My problem is that my husband has two criminal convictions, 1986 assault and breach of the peace, £86 fine for both, 1998 possession of offensive weapon and breach of the peace, £250 fine for both. As there were mitigating circumstances there was no other penalties, no probation etc.

Also, as a Canadian born and bred, how long would it take for just me to get in if heaven forbid, my father’s health deteriorates?

I got some feedback on the other thread but thought it couldn't hurt to post here too!
Old Nov 16th 2004, 5:53 am
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice
Default Re: Can someone help me? So much advice needed!

We applied for passports and proof of Canadian citizenship for both our children at the same time. We put the applications in the same envelope and received the passports within a couple of weeks. The proof of citizenship cards (or whatever they are - I haven't seen them yet, as we had them sent to Canada)took a bit longer. About 4 or 5 months, I think.