Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

can required long stay in the U.S. result in rejection?

can required long stay in the U.S. result in rejection?

Old Aug 26th 2003, 4:01 am
Just Joined

j-lo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default can required long stay in the U.S. result in rejection?

my story: just got a letter that an interview is not required for me and i should proceed with medical, etc. the letter was very careful to emphasize that should they have questions they will contact me and they can change their initial positive assessment if they find anything wrong from now till the completion of the process. ASSUMING everything goes well, the process should probably be completed withing the next 7-8 months.

one of the documents they require from me is a letter from the school i am currently attending in the U.S. with stated date of completion of course work and graduation date.

and here is the problem - i am in a graduate program - i will complete course work by the end of next year, but my graduation date for the program i am in (ph.d.) is May 2008.... which is 5 years from now... i am afraid that once i submist this letter (which the canadian consulate specifically asked for) they will reject me based on the fact that supposedly i have to stay in the U.S. for the next 5 years. what should i do to prevent that?

- what are the regulations for entering Canada once all paperwork is completed?
- what are the requirements for living in Canada to maintain the permanent resident status?
- can they reject me for this?
- would it help if i send an explanation along with the letter from school saying something like "once i complete course work next year, i can work on my ph.d. dissertation from Canada as it doesn't require me to be physically in school"? (i am sure they wouldn't like it if i said i would quit my program next year and go to canada )

any suggestions and advice will be extremely appreciated! THANKS!
Old Aug 26th 2003, 5:49 am
Jim Humphries

Default Re: can required long stay in the U.S. result in rejection?

There is nothing you can do except cancel your application and re-apply
later when you are actually ready to immigrate.
--
Jim Humphries, former visa officer
"j-lo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > my story: just got a letter that an interview is not required for me
    > and i should proceed with medical, etc. the letter was very careful to
    > emphasize that should they have questions they will contact me and they
    > can change their initial positive assessment if they find anything
    > wrong from now till the completion of the process. ASSUMING everything
    > goes well, the process should probably be completed withing the next
    > 7-8 months.
    > one of the documents they require from me is a letter from the school i
    > am currently attending in the U.S. with stated date of completion of
    > course work and graduation date.
    > and here is the problem - i am in a graduate program - i will complete
    > course work by the end of next year, but my graduation date for the
    > program i am in (ph.d.) is May 2008.... which is 5 years from now... i
    > am afraid that once i submist this letter (which the canadian consulate
    > specifically asked for) they will reject me based on the fact that
    > supposedly i have to stay in the U.S. for the next 5 years. what should
    > i do to prevent that?
    > - what are the regulations for entering Canada once all paperwork is
    > completed?
    > - what are the requirements for living in Canada to maintain the
    > permanent resident status?
    > - can they reject me for this?
    > - would it help if i send an explanation along with the letter from
    > school saying something like "once i complete course work next year, i
    > can work on my ph.d. dissertation from Canada as it doesn't require me
    > to be physically in school"? (i am sure they wouldn't like it if i
    > said i would quit my program next year and go to canada )
    > any suggestions and advice will be extremely appreciated! THANKS!
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 27th 2003, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

lazyant is on a distinguished road

I'm not an expert but I don't see n principle the problem in your situation.

I haven't read anything in the law that says that you have to finish whatever you are currently doing (what if you have an "unlimited" -or whatever is called- contract with a company?).
AFAIK there's no "apply when you're ready (with no ties to anything)" rule, you can apply and be accepted if you have the requirements specified in the law, and you already have passed the assessment. They can still reject you at any time, but there must be a valid reason to do so, like medical problem or if they find that you lied in your documentation.

I don't know why they are asking you this proof, maybe they want to make sure of your current status or maybe you stated that you will have a Master's degree in the initial application (while you were only a Bachelor) and you got in on your way to the PhD. There's no difference in points for Master's or PhD so I don't think they care about your PhD (if you have the Master's), although the specifics in their letter about coursework and dissertation is a little worrisome.

I have a somewhat similar situation, only I just applied (independent/skilled) in June. I just got my Master's and now (since this month) I'm a doctoral student because I'm being paid (I have to eat). Although I didn't say anything about PhD in my application (I didn't even applied to it at that time).

what did you state in your initial application about your current / future degree? has your degree changed since you applied?

Please let us know what happens in the future.

good luck
Old Aug 27th 2003, 6:28 am
Just Joined

when i applied i only stated that i have a bachelor degree. eventually i got into the ph.d. program and informed the canadian consulate of that by sending them a copy of my I-20, which actually stated that i will be in this ph.d. program until May 2009. But i am thinking they might not have noticed such details...

it is a standard checklist that they sent me and one of the items they have checked is this letter that i need from school. all it says is to provide a letter from a dept chair that states the expected completion of coursework and expected graduation. maybe i don't have a reason to worry, but you never know... i just don't want to be denyed permanent residency because of the fact that i am in a ph.d. program that i should supposedly finish by 2009...

i will do some legal research and if i find something i will let u know...
Old Aug 27th 2003, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by j-lo
when i applied i only stated that i have a bachelor degree.
actually the case I mentioned (getting a degree that gives more assessment points) is silly, since you already passed the assessment, so there's no problem there.

eventually i got into the ph.d. program and informed the canadian consulate of that by sending them a copy of my I-20,
I'm not sure but I don't think you have to inform of such changes as having a new I-20. Maybe you have to inform if you change your visa status in the US. I'm also in the US and I'll have now a new I-20 with another crazy complation date like yours, but I'm still F1 as before.

which actually stated that i will be in this ph.d. program until May 2009. But i am thinking they might not have noticed such details...

it is a standard checklist
then I wouldn't worry much. I guess they would have asked you specifically about this issue BEFORE you got your assessment approved, or they would have asked you to do the interview if there's something fishy, that you got waived too, so you should be in good shape.

that they sent me and one of the items they have checked is this letter that i need from school. all it says is to provide a letter from a dept chair that states the expected completion of coursework and expected graduation. maybe i don't have a reason to worry, but you never know... i just don't want to be denyed permanent residency because of the fact that i am in a ph.d. program that i should supposedly finish by 2009...
I think that would be crazy, like I said, when you immigrate to another country, aren't you breaking your ties to current job, house etc? it's like having 20 years left of a 30-year mortgage on you house; you can break from those obligations, so it should be the same with academic obligations.

i will do some legal research and if i find something i will let u know...
that will be great.

PS.

I know it's been debated long, but just for the statistic, did you take the IELTS? if not, what proof did you give?
Old Aug 27th 2003, 7:35 am
Just Joined

to be honest, i don't even know what IELTS stands for, so i guess i haven't taken it...
Old Aug 27th 2003, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by j-lo
to be honest, i don't even know what IELTS stands for, so i guess i haven't taken it...
I guess you applied before the changes introduced last summer.