Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can one apply for skilled immigration if out of status in US?

Can one apply for skilled immigration if out of status in US?

Old Feb 7th 2006, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

OldJohnDoe has a brilliant futureOldJohnDoe has a brilliant futureOldJohnDoe has a brilliant futureOldJohnDoe has a brilliant futureOldJohnDoe has a brilliant futureOldJohnDoe has a brilliant futureOldJohnDoe has a brilliant future
Default Can one apply for skilled immigration if out of status in US?

If one is in the US but out of status and wants to apply for Canadian skilled immigration, is the status in the US a problem in the canadian immigration process?
Old Feb 7th 2006, 11:18 am
Just Joined

able is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can one apply for skilled immigration if out of status in US?

Originally Posted by OldJohnDoe
If one is in the US but out of status and wants to apply for Canadian skilled immigration, is the status in the US a problem in the canadian immigration process?
Yes, it will be a problem. They will ask for evidence of your status in the US.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 1:15 am
Just Joined

gabics will become famous soon enoughgabics will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by able
Yes, it will be a problem. They will ask for evidence of your status in the US.
Well, I am not so sure. I am in the US, moving to Canada in 3 weeks. I am a permanent resident in the US, my wife has an H1 visa. When we applied for Canadian PR, no-one asked us about our US status. Our Canadian PR was approved in 7 months.

I suggest to hire a Canadian Immigration lawyer. Their fees are not too bad (compared to US lawyers) , and they can answer your question.

Good luck!
Gabics.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Ibraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to all

If you already have your PR visa then you should not worry about your status in the states, its just required when you first submit your application to Buffalo office.

Originally Posted by gabics
Well, I am not so sure. I am in the US, moving to Canada in 3 weeks. I am a permanent resident in the US, my wife has an H1 visa. When we applied for Canadian PR, no-one asked us about our US status. Our Canadian PR was approved in 7 months.

I suggest to hire a Canadian Immigration lawyer. Their fees are not too bad (compared to US lawyers) , and they can answer your question.

Good luck!
Gabics.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 3:43 pm
Tab
Forum Regular

Tab is on a distinguished road

My partner was out of status in the US and it did not create a problem--we have our visas. I am not sure of how it affects the primary applicant. Best to ask an expert.