Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can my mum/stepdad come to Canada?

Can my mum/stepdad come to Canada?

Old Apr 6th 2019, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

capwn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can my mum/stepdad come to Canada?

Long story but essentially I'm now a Canadian citizen after coming from the UK, lived here for several years now. My mum really wants to come here too and presumes it won't be an issue but I'm sure it will? They are both 70+, I can't see why/how the government here would be ok with that? Can anyone here suggest any issues they may face trying to immigrate here?
Old Apr 6th 2019, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can my mum/stepdad come to Canada?

Originally Posted by capwn
Long story but essentially I'm now a Canadian citizen after coming from the UK, lived here for several years now. My mum really wants to come here too and presumes it won't be an issue but I'm sure it will? They are both 70+, I can't see why/how the government here would be ok with that? Can anyone here suggest any issues they may face trying to immigrate here?
Unless they can immigrate on their own (e.g. one of them is a Canadian citizen), then likely the only way they could come to Canada permanently is via family sponsorship with you as the sponsor. Have a read and follow the links in the wiki on that subject here. Note that t has a VERY LONG timeline (years):

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Family...gration-Canada

It is odd how most Brits blithely assume that as Canada is 'part of the Commonwealth' that of course they can go there and live (many of my wife's friends just assumed she could get on the plane with me with no formalities). Simply not the case I am afraid.
Old Apr 7th 2019, 12:29 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

there is the supervisa but I believe all this years allocations have been taken
Old Apr 7th 2019, 12:48 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo

there is the supervisa but I believe all this years allocations have been taken
Supervisa is not Permanent Residency, it's a temporary visitor visa valid up to 10 years (in 2 year increments) and there is no allocation for it, whereas Parent/Grandparent PR sponsorship has a limit to the number of applications they will process each year and the date of submitting an application of interest has been and gone ..
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...isa/about.html
What is a super visa?
A super visa lets you visit your children or grandchildren for up to 2 years at a time. It’s a multi-entry visa that provides multiple entries for a period up to 10 years.

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 7th 2019 at 12:57 am.
Old Apr 7th 2019, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Unless they can immigrate on their own (e.g. one of them is a Canadian citizen), then likely the only way they could come to Canada permanently is via family sponsorship with you as the sponsor. Have a read and follow the links in the wiki on that subject here. Note that t has a VERY LONG timeline (years):

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Family...gration-Canada

It is odd how most Brits blithely assume that as Canada is 'part of the Commonwealth' that of course they can go there and live (many of my wife's friends just assumed she could get on the plane with me with no formalities). Simply not the case I am afraid.
Thanks for the info. So it sounds like if I were to sponsor them I would have to financially support them for 10 years? I mean they have money but they are also 70+ so potentially I could be signing up for hundreds of thousands of dollars in a worse case scenario couldn't I? Perhaps the more realistic option is that they buy a small property here and then spend around 6 months every year here as visitors?
Old Apr 7th 2019, 3:57 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info. So it sounds like if I were to sponsor them I would have to financially support them for 10 years? I mean they have money but they are also 70+ so potentially I could be signing up for hundreds of thousands of dollars in a worse case scenario couldn't I? Perhaps the more realistic option is that they buy a small property here and then spend around 6 months every year here as visitors?
Parental sponsorship can be a very long journey as well as potentially expensive - and you would need to prove that you have the necessary income to support both your family and your parents, before you could even apply with an expression of interest (only opens once a year).. then you would have to hope that you were one of the lucky few selected and invited to actually sponsor them. Yes, you would be financially responsible for them for 20 years, not 10
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ndparents.html
The undertaking is a promise to provide financial support and basic requirements for the family members you are sponsoring.
Basic requirements are:
  • food
  • clothing
  • utilities
  • personal requirements
  • shelter
  • fuel
  • household supplies
This also includes other health care not provided by public health, such as eye and dental care.

The length of undertaking for sponsorship of parents, grandparents and their accompanying dependents is 20 years.
They could, perhaps, apply for a SuperVisa to enable them to spend longer periods here as visitors, but would need to obtain medical insurance cover and you would still have to sign an undertaking to support them financially for the length of each trip.

Do be aware that while they could purchase property they could be liable for non resident tax penalties in many Provinces, and there would be no guarantee that they would a) be given 6 months visitor status or b) repeatedly allowed in as visitors without being able to show ties to the UK.

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 7th 2019 at 4:02 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2019, 5:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We applied for the Super Visa 6 years ago. It took 4/5 months from applying. A few months later we applied on for PR, our daughter who had been a PR for several years, sponsored us. It took a couple of years for PR to be approved.

The SV is a temporary 10 yr visa, which has to be renewed every 2 years. The drawback is that you have to maintain a residence in your home country. We did not do this as we were living in the US when we applied. We had lived there for almost 20 years and had intended to retire in the UK. Instead we sold our US house and decided to try Canada (we already owned 2 properties there) and if it didn’t work out move back to the UK. We told CIC this and they accepted our word. Another drawback is that you may feel Canada is now home but PR could be refused and then after the SV expires you would have to leave. Of course the older you are, the more chance you will need more medical assistance and this may result in PR being refused. You must arrange your own medical insurance with a Canadian company whilst you are in Canada on the SV.

My advice would be to apply for the SV is you wish to come to Canada within the next few months. Then on the 1st Jan 2020 get the application in for PR. If is most important IMO, to make sure you apply on the first day the PR application is open. If you are in no rush...apply for PR 1st Jan 2020 and stay in the UK until it is approved,

There have been several threads about this. If you search the Canada Immigration forum you should find them. If not give me a shout.

Good luck.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 7th 2019 at 5:08 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2019, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Jerseygirl and everyone else.

So the most viable option would be through the sponsorship rather than supervisa because I think they would have to fully cut ties with the UK to finance the initial move (including selling their home). That would mean me signing a form that says I am responsible for them for 20 years, now I earn over the required household income amount so that's ok but I'm more concerned about their age. I guess they could afford good health insurance but that would mean me trusting that they stay mentally capable (they could be reaching the age of 90 by the end of this 20 year cap) so for all I know they could become mentally unstable, not pay insurance, get into trouble etc. Could end up in homes.

Even if they were stable however, would private health insurance cover them for the worst?
Old Apr 14th 2019, 2:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jerseygirl and everyone else.

So the most viable option would be through the sponsorship rather than supervisa because I think they would have to fully cut ties with the UK to finance the initial move (including selling their home). That would mean me signing a form that says I am responsible for them for 20 years, now I earn over the required household income amount so that's ok but I'm more concerned about their age. I guess they could afford good health insurance but that would mean me trusting that they stay mentally capable (they could be reaching the age of 90 by the end of this 20 year cap) so for all I know they could become mentally unstable, not pay insurance, get into trouble etc. Could end up in homes.

Even if they were stable however, would private health insurance cover them for the worst?
They can certainly skip the SV and apply for PR next January. If they submit their application early on the first day the applications are accepted they may be lucky.

They will only need healthcare insurance until 3 months after becoming, then they will be entitled to OHIP.
Old Apr 14th 2019, 2:42 pm
Banned

You can submit an Expression of Interest to sponsor your parents for PR when it opens... hopefully you will be one of the lucky few to be invited to submit a full application for them.

(It's changed since you did yours JG )
Sponsoring your parents and grandparents

The Parents and Grandparents Program opens at the beginning of the year for a limited time.

Here is how to participate.

Step 1: If you’re eligible to become a sponsor, you must submit an online interest to sponsor form. This form is available for a limited time at the beginning of the year.

Step 2: After the online form closes, we review the submissions and remove any duplicates.

We’ll invite potential sponsors to submit a complete application in the same order we receive the interest to sponsor forms. We email potential sponsors and invite them to apply. We also post the invitation status on our site.

Step 3: If you’re invited to apply, we must receive your complete application package by the deadline specified in your invitation.

To avoid using outdated forms, don’t prepare your application before you’re invited to submit a complete application.
They would be covered by Provincial Healthcare for basic needs, once they have met the requirements for residency, but unless your Provincial healthcare covers residential care home costs (unlikely) then you would probably have to cover the costs. It's unlikely that you would be able to get private health insurance to cover that kind of thing.. but presumably you would be able to have legal documentation set up in the event of them going gaga so you could make financial / medical decisions for them..

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 14th 2019 at 2:49 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2019, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, so it sounds more plausible if they can obtain provincial healthcare that covers their medical costs. I'm just curious how a government would allow elderly people who may soon require heavy medical bills to come into the country? I guess it's a perk of being a citizen, being able to bring your parents in?

I imagine immigration would office would see that they are coming from England, a place that has free healthcare and they are residents of and wonder why they would want to live here in Canada where they would be paying through the roof for medical insurance and extra taxes etc.

I feel like I can't even consider this unless myself or they are millionaires, potentially they could suddenly have to go into a home that costs hundreds of thousands for them both every year? Provincial healthcare wouldn't pay for any kind of home for them would they? even as permanent residents?
Old Apr 14th 2019, 6:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Ok, so it sounds more plausible if they can obtain provincial healthcare that covers their medical costs. I'm just curious how a government would allow elderly people who may soon require heavy medical bills to come into the country? I guess it's a perk of being a citizen, being able to bring your parents in?

I imagine immigration would office would see that they are coming from England, a place that has free healthcare and they are residents of and wonder why they would want to live here in Canada where they would be paying through the roof for medical insurance and extra taxes etc.

I feel like I can't even consider this unless myself or they are millionaires, potentially they could suddenly have to go into a home that costs hundreds of thousands for them both every year? Provincial healthcare wouldn't pay for any kind of home for them would they? even as permanent residents?
A medical is required towards the end of the PR process. If it is deemed that person will cost OHIP too much, PR will be refused. I think it is around $6.5k per year.

That’s why it is important IMO to apply sooner rather than later.

Re care homes. If I am at the stage where I can no longer care for myself, I prefer to leave this earth on my own terms, and that does not include a care home.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 14th 2019 at 6:28 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2019, 6:29 pm
Banned

You don't have to be a Citizen to apply to bring your parents, PR's can do so, provided they meet the requirements.

You are overthinking this, with regards to Immigration Canada - if you meet the requirements, have signed the undertaking to provide for their needs, they have passed the medical and the background checks.. then they don't care where they are from! It's all about Family Reunification- allowing them to come to live in Canada to be near to their children and grandchildren - that simple... (not sure what you mean about 'extra taxes') You may not even get lucky enough to be picked from the thousands of people applying...

Provincial healthcare would be the same as you get once they are Permanent Residents - have you checked your Provincial Website to see what might be covered? Generally speaking, you would need to pay for what they might require, the same as you pay for yourself if they didn't have the funds to pay for it themselves. You may find it very difficult to find a health insurance plan for elderly parents in the long term, so you have to anticipate what it might cost in the worst case scenario.. perhaps do some research on a) what is covered by Provincial Healthcare and b) what care homes generally charge for basic accommodation. Take into consideration that they have funds available, they don't have to buy an expensive property - they could put some money into an account for just such a scenario.

They also might NEVER have to go into care homes - they may remain in the best of health and lead active lives ... or they could just stay with you if they needed some care or help!

Only you can decide whether having your parents here with you is worth the potential risk of having to pay out down the road...

Thousands do it every year
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
A medical is required towards the end of the PR process. If it is deemed that person will cost OHIP too much, PR will be refused. I think it is around $6.5k per year.

That’s why it is important IMO to apply sooner rather than later.

Re care homes. If I am at the stage where I can no longer care for myself, I prefer to leave this earth on my own terms, and that does not include a care home.

+1

OHIP is strictly Ontario though - each Province has their own Healthcare plan... and the excessive demand part of the PR process is the potential Federal cost rather than Provincial as the prospective PR applicant could be moving anywhere in Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-services.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 14th 2019 at 7:00 pm.