Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can my Dad (now a Canadian Citizen) sponsor me?

Can my Dad (now a Canadian Citizen) sponsor me?

Old Jan 17th 2008, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

Shelby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can my Dad (now a Canadian Citizen) sponsor me?

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows if my Dad is able to sponsor me. My application as a skilled worker has been in the system for 20 months now and is probably only halfway through but i have been informed that my father may be able to sponsor me and make the application go through quicker.
I am 29 years old, married with no children. We have sufficient funds to look after ourselves and my Dad is quite happy to be our sponsor but not sure if any benefit.
Can anyone help?

(I have already done a search on this subject but can't seem to find any links.)

Thanks
Shelby
Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:12 am
Dorfus wafflebutt

littletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nice
Default Re: Can my Dad (now a Canadian Citizen) sponsor me?

I believe once your are older than 18 the answer is no, sorry,

might be wrong, it tells you on the cic website
Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...-apply-who.asp

Who cannot be sponsored

Other relatives, such as brothers and sisters over 18, or adult independent children cannot be sponsored. However, if they apply to immigrate under the Skilled Worker Class, they may get extra points for adaptability for having a relative in Canada.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

I thought that would probably be the case. Oh well, no harm in trying. Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 1:22 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shelby
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows if my Dad is able to sponsor me. My application as a skilled worker has been in the system for 20 months now and is probably only halfway through but i have been informed that my father may be able to sponsor me and make the application go through quicker.
I am 29 years old, married with no children. We have sufficient funds to look after ourselves and my Dad is quite happy to be our sponsor but not sure if any benefit.
How and when did your father become a Canadian citizen? Also, in which province/territory does he live?

Last edited by JAJ; Jan 17th 2008 at 1:25 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

WelshLady is an unknown quantity at this point

What province is your Dad in? In Saskatchewan he is able to sponser you under the Family Member Class. If he put you on his oriiginal application under Additional Family Information and you have $10,000 he will be able to get you here, but that's here in Sask, other Provinces I'm not too sure.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 4:59 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WelshLady
What province is your Dad in? In Saskatchewan he is able to sponser you under the Family Member Class. If he put you on his oriiginal application under Additional Family Information and you have $10,000 he will be able to get you here, but that's here in Sask, other Provinces I'm not too sure.
It is not that simple and it is not really a sponsorship - it is just a family support. Person must still meet selection criteria for the program, including education, work experience and guaranteed job offer:

http://www.immigration.gov.sk.ca/Def...7-70a7366de4c4

Most important fact - Saskatchewan and Manitoba are giving the lowest processing priority to those cases. As a result just getting PNP certificate in Family Support stream/category may take a year or even two.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

My dad has been a Canadian citizen for about 4 years or so. He got married to a canadian 9 years ago and then applied for citizenship.
He lives in Alberta which is where we will be planning on going.
We do have enough money to be able to support ourselves i was just trying to find out if any point in going down the sponsorship route.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 3:17 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably the best thing your Dad can do right now is to help in the hunt for a Canadian job, so you can fast-track your PR application and/or get a temp WP.