Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can medicals be done in a different country than where application was made?

Can medicals be done in a different country than where application was made?

Old Sep 1st 2009, 2:55 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can medicals be done in a different country than where application was made?

Hi all, I have applied through new system FSW Cat 1 to London and fingers crossed, if everything goes well CIC should request medical in the next few months. A visit abroad is also on the agenda towards the end of this year. So suppose if I receive the medical request after I have planned my visit etc, would it be possible to take CIC’s letter to an authorised DMP in the country I am visiting and get them do the tests (of course, they first have to agree that they will forward the results over to London). Is that something that CIC will accept?

Potentially I can also save some money by doing the tests abroad as we know how UK DMPs charge such extortionate amounts for those simple tests which don’t even take them an hour.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

flower-power will become famous soon enoughflower-power will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Can medicals be done in a different country than where application was made?

Hi Edo

I hope they can be done in a different country than the application. Our application is in France and my husband and one of our children had our medicals in England. We are English but due to work we were in England during the time scale given. The DMP did not find this peculiar as she mentioned that she very often had people who were already living in Canada having their medicals in England. Also the forms you are sent give the address stating that no matter where the medicals are done they must be returned to France (as in our case)
We are still waiting from the embassy whether everything was ok. We have received our copy of the blood results back in France from England
Regards and best of luck
Old Sep 1st 2009, 7:51 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can medicals be done in a different country than where application was made?

Thanks a lot for the reply flower power. Good luck with your application. Would be interested to know how you get on.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 7:55 am
passport photo

Hammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud of

I enquired about this and the only possible hurdle is.. if you need to have any medicals re-done due to urine or blood problems you have to go back to the same clinic, shouldn't cause too many problems for most people unless you travel about a lot.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

We live in UK and had meds done in Canada while we were home for a visit, and yes if there is a prob then you are stuffed, but touch wood, his meds were ok
Old Sep 1st 2009, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold

Re Hammy's post - this wasn't our experience. OH required follow up tests but was by then in Canada (originals were done in Glasgoww) for two months. Follow ups were done in Canada and results faxed to DMP in Glasgow who then forwarded them to CIC in London - so it can be done.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 9:37 am
passport photo

Hammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Merry
Re Hammy's post - this wasn't our experience. OH required follow up tests but was by then in Canada (originals were done in Glasgoww) for two months. Follow ups were done in Canada and results faxed to DMP in Glasgow who then forwarded them to CIC in London - so it can be done.
good to know, cheers
Old Sep 1st 2009, 9:58 am
FSW Cat 1

amrskipro is an unknown quantity at this point

What are the medicals like? General health check? Questions about previous history? Blood tests checking for HIV/ Hepatitis etc? Chest X-Rays?

Just curious?
Old Sep 1st 2009, 12:07 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by amrskipro
What are the medicals like? General health check? Questions about previous history? Blood tests checking for HIV/ Hepatitis etc? Chest X-Rays?

Just curious?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/pub...ndbook2009.pdf Chapter 11
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

laidback4 is on a distinguished road

We applied through CIC in Vienna and had our Medicals done in Slough, UK, earlier this year. We've been in Canada for two months now so I guess they didn't mind.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

spaa will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Edo
Hi all, I have applied through new system FSW Cat 1 to London and fingers crossed, if everything goes well CIC should request medical in the next few months. A visit abroad is also on the agenda towards the end of this year. So suppose if I receive the medical request after I have planned my visit etc, would it be possible to take CIC’s letter to an authorised DMP in the country I am visiting and get them do the tests (of course, they first have to agree that they will forward the results over to London). Is that something that CIC will accept?

Potentially I can also save some money by doing the tests abroad as we know how UK DMPs charge such extortionate amounts for those simple tests which don’t even take them an hour.
you can take medical anywhere subject approved DMP