Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

can mechanics get a Education credential assesment

can mechanics get a Education credential assesment

Old Jan 8th 2017, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

jamesmacc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default can mechanics get a Education credential assesment

Hello,

I was looking at the requirments for express entry under the federal skilled worker program and one of the requirments is a education credential assesment ( ECA) but when i go onto one of CIC's approved organisations it says that they do not evaluate trade qualifications, military training, second language training, professional licenses, apprenticeships, work or life experience, continuing education courses taken at non-recognized institutions, and non-credit professional development courses all fall outside the scope of

so from what i can read they do not evaluate trades qualifications which im assuming city and guilds level 2 and 3 in mechanics comes under ?

so now im a ittle confused as my job comes under the NOC code that they are looking for and they want me to do a ECA from what i can read but all of their approved organisatons seem to suggest they wont evaluate trades.

can anyone help me out with this? I have done My IELTS and i have the police clearance certificates ready if they invite me to apply.

I had a SINP sponsorship granted with sponsorship for PR and job offer a couple years back but had to give it up due to my unborn baby having medical problems which required some operations. when the SINP was granted they gave me 18 months in which i had to apply for PR, by time i had got the first opp out of the way and gathered all the certificates and forms and posted my PR forms i had missed the deadline date by 1 working day so they rejected it and i lost the money... i sent it with 7 days to spare on a guaranteed 5 day service ...stupid me dint realise it was 5 working days guaranteed and it fell over a weekend .if only i had been a day earlier i would now likely have PR
any help would be great
cheers
james

Last edited by jamesmacc; Jan 8th 2017 at 11:10 am.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 11:29 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can mechanics get a Education credential assesment

No.Go through provincial trade authority and apply to challenge the trade exam if your have the prerequisite # of hours experience. 9000 hours provable work experience required for Automotive Service Technician.
http://www.itabc.ca/apply-apprentice...llenging-exams

Each province has one. AST is a Red Seal endorsed trade, so whichever province you pass the exam in, it is portable to other participating provinces.

City & Guilds is not a recognised qualification.

Last edited by Aviator; Jan 8th 2017 at 11:33 am.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 8:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If you're a mechanic then you wouldn't be applying under FSW anyway, you'd be applying under the Federal Skilled Trades program. An ECA isn't mandatory for the FST program, you'll need the certificate of qualification mentioned above.

What are you scoring on the CRS and are you currently working in Canada?

HTH.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aviator
No.Go through provincial trade authority and apply to challenge the trade exam if your have the prerequisite # of hours experience. 9000 hours provable work experience required for Automotive Service Technician.
Challenging Exams | ITA BC

Each province has one. AST is a Red Seal endorsed trade, so whichever province you pass the exam in, it is portable to other participating provinces.

City & Guilds is not a recognised qualification.

thanks for the reply. How does that work with express entry when it asks for a ECA, or would i then meet the requirments for Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree
Old Jan 9th 2017, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If you're a mechanic then you wouldn't be applying under FSW anyway, you'd be applying under the Federal Skilled Trades program. An ECA isn't mandatory for the FST program, you'll need the certificate of qualification mentioned above.

What are you scoring on the CRS and are you currently working in Canada?

HTH.
Ah i see that is quite handy, although it looks as though id need to take a trip to Canada for the red seal challange exam interview and then wait a few weeks on the exam if i pass the interview
Old Jan 9th 2017, 2:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesmacc
Ah i see that is quite handy, although it looks as though id need to take a trip to Canada for the red seal challange exam interview and then wait a few weeks on the exam if i pass the interview
Yes, you would, also a recce trip to check out areas etc is always a good idea anyway IMO, so you could combine the two. And if you're not scoring enough on the CRS to PR without a job offer (what is your score?) then you may find that job hunting in person would be much more effective anyway.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yes, you would, also a recce trip to check out areas etc is always a good idea anyway IMO, so you could combine the two. And if you're not scoring enough on the CRS to PR without a job offer (what is your score?) then you may find that job hunting in person would be much more effective anyway.
would two weeks be enough to get the interview done and then be invited for the test or do they sometimes take weeks to decide ? im scoring 412 based on me selecting having a certificate of qualification from a province or territory which im assuming i would have if i get the red seal . If i select no i get 362 points
Old Jan 9th 2017, 2:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by jamesmacc
would two weeks be enough to get the interview done and then be invited for the test or do they sometimes take weeks to decide ? im scoring 412 based on me selecting having a certificate of qualification from a province or territory which im assuming i would have if i get the red seal . If i select no i get 362 points
OK, so you'll need a job offer based on previous scores (the lowest it's ever gone to is 450), so do factor in some job hunting time to your trip as well.

I'm afraid I have no idea how long the provincial assessment takes, hopefully Aviator will be able to advise on that.

Best of luck.