British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Can I work as a clown? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/can-i-work-clown-878775/)

Diddlydoo Jun 12th 2016 6:00 pm

Can I work as a clown?

Alright folks,

I'm after some employment advice please.

British tourist in Vancouver with a dodgy motor (leaking radiator, worn tyres, screaming brakes, etc).

I've sunken most of my holiday loonies into fixing it, but it keeps buckling like a mule with a limp.

Now I'm larry lint without a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of.

I'm over here on a 6 month tourist visa but need to earn some dosh to keep the party going.

Can I do ANYTHING to legally earn money here? I read the Canadian government's immigration site and it says performing artists don't need a work permit. Does that mean I can apply for jobs as a clown? Or a court jester in an amusement park?

Any advice helpful, even if it comes with some good humoured abuse...

christmasoompa Jun 12th 2016 6:50 pm

Re: Can I work as a clown?

Hi, welcome to BE.

Here's the list of 'entertainment' jobs that don't need a TWP - International Mobility Program: Authorization to work without a work permit – Performing artists

HTH.

Diddlydoo Jun 12th 2016 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 11971509)
Hi, welcome to BE.

Here's the list of 'entertainment' jobs that don't need a TWP - International Mobility Program: Authorization to work without a work permit – Performing artists

HTH.

Spot on. Thanks for your help guv'na!

BristolUK Jun 12th 2016 9:52 pm

I'm no expert but it reads as if you'd need to be in a circus for it to be okay....or you do it as an air show performer - if you can't fly, hire Zoe Bell (the BE one not the famous one;)) and her plane and be a clown wing walker :ohmy: - or a street performer.

:lol:

magnumpi Jun 12th 2016 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11971624)
I'm no expert but it reads as if you'd need to be in a circus for it to be okay....or you do it as an air show performer - if you can't fly, hire Zoe Bell (the BE one not the famous one;)) and her plane and be a clown wing walker :ohmy: - or a street performer.

Or come to Toronto and join the OPP

Aviator Jun 13th 2016 1:24 am

Stand for parliament, they're a bunch of clowns!

MillieF Jun 13th 2016 1:46 am

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 11971705)
Stand for parliament, they're a bunch of clowns!

+ 1 - but he can't as he isn't a Citizen...yet!

Zoe Bell Jun 13th 2016 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11971624)

You can't hire me. I'm not allowed to fly for reward. Not commercial rated you see ;)

moneypenny20 Jun 13th 2016 1:02 pm

What sort of psychopath wants to be a clown???? :blink:

BristolUK Jun 13th 2016 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 11972091)
You can't hire me. I'm not allowed to fly for reward. Not commercial rated you see ;)

Would him clowning about on the wing count as commercial? :rofl:

Aqua Jun 13th 2016 4:34 pm

Well I think your car will be good for Clowning around, but you will need a large red nose and no sense of fashion. You should fit right in in Canada!

Diddlydoo Jun 13th 2016 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Aqua (Post 11972339)
Well I think your car will be good for Clowning around, but you will need a large red nose and no sense of fashion. You should fit right in in Canada!

Street performer sounds like a good crac! Make cash while clowning about. Quality!

magnumpi Jun 13th 2016 4:54 pm

Human statues are popular in Canada, do an Elvis you make 100's