Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can I travel to Canada whilst awaiting my TWP?

Can I travel to Canada whilst awaiting my TWP?

Old Oct 27th 2008, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

mjrose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I travel to Canada whilst awaiting my TWP?

Hi All.

Im hoping that you can help me with a quick query?

I am awaiting my TWP to come through. I am going as a nurse and am awaiting my letter of invitation from the CIC which is taking forever as I had the medical on the 29th of September and the results were sent on the 1st.

Anyway my partner is coming to Vancouver on the 31st to land as he has permanent residency over there. My question is as I am still awaiting my TWP however can I come to the Country for two weeks holiday?

The Embassy have been very unhelpful and said not to make any travel arrangements and before I could even say I am just going for a holiday they cut me off!

I have booked a return ticket for the 11th of November and then I plan to come back to the UK just to pick up my letter from the embassy. (Hopefully it will be there by then!)

I have booked a return ticket so that shouldn't affect my application should it and that should satisfy the immigration officer at the POE? As far as I know loads of people do reccies and come back and thats what Im doing.

I just want to go with him my partner and once my paperwork is through I will come home and get it.

Do you think this is okay?

Mel.x
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:07 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I travel to Canada whilst awaiting my TWP?

Hello, Mel, and welcome to the BE forum.

Yes, you are allowed to visit Canada while your application for TWP is being processed.

It's not clear, from the information you provided in your post, why your partner is a PR and you are not. However, that's a separate issue.

By the way, back to your TWP application, I've seen instances on this forum in which medical exams have held up TWP applications by two and even three months.
x
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Hi Judy.

Thanks for replying to me so promptly.

My partner applied for permanent residency 3 years ago and was issued his visa this year. I only decided to go with him three months ago and was lucky enough to get a job out there so applied under a temporary work visa.

Gosh thats not good news about the timelines for the letter of introduction!

I have called the embassy on several occasions to check when I will recieve the letter and they all give me different answers from 6 weeks to 10. Its silly as they only need to give people an answer.

I have booked a return ticket home but I wish this was not the case as I would like to be out there for good and starting my job.

The whole thing is mentally draining. When I rang the embassy the receptionist said you cannot travel to Canada whilst waiting for your twp as the immigration officer at the POE will turn you away.

However I have a return ticket so that should be okay.... so what can they do????????!!!!!!!!

Oh the stress they put people through.

Mel.x
Old Oct 28th 2008, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

ibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mjrose
Hi Judy.

Thanks for replying to me so promptly.

My partner applied for permanent residency 3 years ago and was issued his visa this year. I only decided to go with him three months ago and was lucky enough to get a job out there so applied under a temporary work visa.

Gosh thats not good news about the timelines for the letter of introduction!

I have called the embassy on several occasions to check when I will recieve the letter and they all give me different answers from 6 weeks to 10. Its silly as they only need to give people an answer.

I have booked a return ticket home but I wish this was not the case as I would like to be out there for good and starting my job.

The whole thing is mentally draining. When I rang the embassy the receptionist said you cannot travel to Canada whilst waiting for your twp as the immigration officer at the POE will turn you away.

However I have a return ticket so that should be okay.... so what can they do????????!!!!!!!!

Oh the stress they put people through.

Mel.x
Hi

I have travelled to Calgary in July this year for 2 weeks recce trip with my family. My form was submitted to the embassy for TWP since May 08. My medical was done in June. So while the kids were on holiday, I took them to see Calgary.
I never had any problem at the airport or immigration department in Calgary. The only problem is that the timeline for every TWP is variable. It took me 4 months from start to finish...by that I mean submission of application pack to receipt of TWP in your hand.

It messed my plan as now my girlfriend is going through the same delay. She has not had any reply since 12 August 08. She has not even had her medical request. To be honest I dont know how long it will take. If I knew i would have put her on my apllication form. The reason is that she wanted to come 9 months later so I decided l will go first. thats we have separate application forms. We are both nurses by the way.

Hope that you can travel now. bye for now

Ibrahim or Ibby
Old Oct 28th 2008, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

ibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the rough

Hi again

The embassy never replied to my emails I sent ...the only time they replied was when I sent a complaint email asking to speak to someone senior then they told me my case was under review and I got the TWP the next day.

Communication is very poor from the embassy. I phoned them and was put on an answering phone for a few minutes then the line got cut off.

Bye

Ibby
Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

pipercooper is an unknown quantity at this point

Thought I would share my experience .... its slightly different as we didnt require any medicals.

We applied for our TWP in the middle of August, we were lucky that my OH company were transferring him out here. I applied for an SOWP.

If we were to believe the 6 week rule we should have received our letter for our work permits on 8th October. We had return flights (due back in April) booked for 10th as I needed to start my job on 14th.

The letter didnt arrive before we left on 10th!! We had decided we would stay in canada on a 6 month visitor permit, try to find a house etc (and possibly another job for me!).

When we got to the airport we went straight through customs no probs! Just as we thought we were done we were sent to Immigration ... explained we had an application in progress and it turns out our application had been approved London were a bit behind in letting people know!

The very nice immigration lady printed our work permits then and there ... didnt need either of our job/offer letters or anything ...

From landing to getting the hire car took us 40 mins!!!

We've been here just over 2 weeks - really enjoying Canada, jobs and have just found somewhere to rent!

Good luck ... it will happen!!
Old Oct 28th 2008, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

Hi Ibby and Ibrahm.

Its so frustrating and I bet your both tearing your hair out with the wait.

All you want is to just get out there and start your new life and all the embassy can do is mess with peoples heads and they never reply. If you do send them a query or call them they are extremley rude.

I hope that you get some good news very soon. I hope we all do.

Thanks for your reassurance on my Canada trip. I am looking forward to going but the anxiety is always there in case the immigration officer is funny. I know Im being silly!

I had my medical on the 29th of September and the results were sent on the 1st of October. They say allow four weeks for the medical process but we all know that this is not true..... Sorry to sound negative!

Anyway hope the medical letter comes through for you soon.

Mel.x
Old Oct 28th 2008, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

Hi.

Wow thats great news. What a stroke of luck!

Im happy to hear that you are both enjoying your new life in Canada. I hope very soon that I will be with my partner.

All the best.

Mel.x
Old Oct 28th 2008, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

shonaoconnor has a spectacular aura aboutshonaoconnor has a spectacular aura aboutshonaoconnor has a spectacular aura about

Hi All.

Im hoping that you can help me with a quick query?

I am awaiting my TWP to come through. I am going as a nurse and am awaiting my letter of invitation from the CIC which is taking forever as I had the medical on the 29th of September and the results were sent on the 1st.

Anyway my partner is coming to Vancouver on the 31st to land as he has permanent residency over there. My question is as I am still awaiting my TWP however can I come to the Country for two weeks holiday?

The Embassy have been very unhelpful and said not to make any travel arrangements and before I could even say I am just going for a holiday they cut me off!

I have booked a return ticket for the 11th of November and then I plan to come back to the UK just to pick up my letter from the embassy. (Hopefully it will be there by then!)

I have booked a return ticket so that shouldn't affect my application should it and that should satisfy the immigration officer at the POE? As far as I know loads of people do reccies and come back and thats what Im doing.

I just want to go with him my partner and once my paperwork is through I will come home and get it.

Do you think this is okay?

Mel.x
Hi
I'm also waiting for TWP & PR and flew to Vancouver for 4 days beginning of OCt to sit the CRNE nursing exam. I had a return ticket and had no problems. Don't see that it would matter if you go.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Hi Shona,

Thanks for your reply. Im feeling more positive now that I know that others have done it like yourself and there have been no problems.

How was the CRNE? I hope to sit the exam in Feb next year. The questions look difficult!

When are you supposed to start your job and when did you submit your application? I was meant to start on the 10th of October...

Mel.x
Old Oct 28th 2008, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

shonaoconnor has a spectacular aura aboutshonaoconnor has a spectacular aura aboutshonaoconnor has a spectacular aura about

Hi Shona,

Thanks for your reply. Im feeling more positive now that I know that others have done it like yourself and there have been no problems.

How was the CRNE? I hope to sit the exam in Feb next year. The questions look difficult!

When are you supposed to start your job and when did you submit your application? I was meant to start on the 10th of October...

Mel.x
The revision book helped. Some questions I didn't understand the question or answer!! Especially the code of ethics type!! Also have only done theatre nursing since I qualified nearly 30 years ago so struggled a bit with midwifery and psychie questions. However, on balance think I've probaly managed to get enought right to pass!! Hope so anyway.
I was supposed to start on 6/10. Submitted PR and TWP on 11/9. On 29th phoned by CHC and advised could drop TWP as PR would only take 2 weeks longer - 6 weeks the guy said. He said he'd get meds sent out. 4 weeks later have heard nothing. Have phoned, faxed and emailed - nothing. So yesterday repplied for TWP at further cost - price has gone up and alos I've wasted 6 weeks. The flights are going up by the week too and no direct flights. Also we've moved out of our house, all our stuff is in storage of shipping company, kids taken out of school, I've left my job and we're staying with relatives which is mega stressful. We expected to be flying out in about 2 weeks from now!! It's a nightmare.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

Oh Shona....

What a nightmare! I bet you feel at the end of your tether right now. I really do not know why the embassy can't get there facts right and just give people the right information and not lose important paperwork!

Do they not know that they are messing with peoples lives and heads...!??!

The whole thing is traumatising and costly. I really feel for you and hope that you get some positive news very soon.

Shipping costs are really expensive as me and my partner know and the whole relocation process is stressful especially when you have a family.

As for the CRNE, I have purchased the Mosby CRNE prep book and have the CD Rom.I will just go with those for now. They have increased the price of the exam and added an additional $115 so they have emailed me and said I have to pay that now on top of the the $458 that they originally charged to take the exam. Im considering changing the dates as don't feel ready for it yet.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

Oh Shona....

What a nightmare! I bet you feel at the end of your tether right now. I really do not know why the embassy can't get there facts right and just give people the right information and not lose important paperwork!

Do they not know that they are messing with peoples lives and heads...!??!

The whole thing is traumatising and costly. I really feel for you and hope that you get some positive news very soon.

Shipping costs are really expensive as me and my partner know and the whole relocation process is stressful especially when you have a family.

As for the CRNE, I have purchased the Mosby CRNE prep book and have the CD Rom.I will just go with those for now. They have increased the price of the exam and added an additional $115 so they have emailed me and said I have to pay that now on top of the the $458 that they originally charged to take the exam. Im considering changing the dates as don't feel ready for it yet.
The revision book is good. It at least gives you an idea how the Canadians think!! I had to sit in Oct as I didn't have enough hours to be registered in 2009, so they said I had to sit in 2008 to get Temp registration. I really wanted to wait till Feb, so I could get some help once I was in Canada. I still have 25 hours to do before end of year. Have applied for some bak nursing here and hope to get the hours done before we go!!