Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can I stay, work and take citizenship

Can I stay, work and take citizenship

Old Jul 25th 2009, 1:36 am
Just Joined

pleasereply is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Can I stay, work and take citizenship

Hi All,

Im was looking for my answer but no good at finding it, so thought lets post and ask from the valued members of the site to help me with.

wife was a primary applicant, she migrated with kids in canada and after having my PRC I came back to UK.

Now they are due for their citizenship. However I have lived in canada even more than 2 months(lets say).

My PRC is expiring in sep. So now here is the Qs.
* Can I travel on PRC before it expires, to canada or will there be a problem
* Am I eligible for Citizenship or do I have to renew PRC.
* Can I work or stay there for longer.

I would apprecaite if I can get my ans.

Thank you

Pleasereply
Old Jul 25th 2009, 2:58 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I stay, work and take citizenship

Do you meet the residence requirement to keep your PR?
Old Jul 25th 2009, 3:09 am
Just Joined

Hi JAJ

We got our PRC on 20 Aug 2004, and it expires in Sept 2009.

The kids and the lady are living there since 3+ years now, but not me.

I had to come back to UK for my work and to sort some personal matters.

I may have been there max 3 month in all since 2004.

Does this mean that if I go now(today), they wont let me in, would I lose my residency, what I have to do to save it

Appreciate ur reply friend

Regards
Old Jul 25th 2009, 3:15 am
Just Joined

I hope I wont get deported travelling on PRC, thats expiring sep 2009
Old Jul 25th 2009, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

TomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond repute

you will be able to go there. But it will expire in 2009 and you cant renew it because you have not met the residency requirments so you will have ot apply for PR all over again.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 6:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pleasereply
Hi JAJ

We got our PRC on 20 Aug 2004, and it expires in Sept 2009.

The kids and the lady are living there since 3+ years now, but not me.

I had to come back to UK for my work and to sort some personal matters.

I may have been there max 3 month in all since 2004.

Does this mean that if I go now(today), they wont let me in, would I lose my residency, what I have to do to save it

Appreciate ur reply friend

Regards
So you've only been in Canada for 3 months in the past 5 years? If so, you've already lost your PR I'm afraid.

You have to stay in Canada for a minimum of 730 days out of every 5 year period to retain your PR status, so you no longer have it.

You have no option but to try and get another visa - if your spouse is a Canadian PR then she can sponsor you so that's one route to look at.

Good luck.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 6:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TomHoney
you will be able to go there.
Not necessarily. He can't travel on his PR as it's no longer valid, and he may not be able to travel to Canada at all without a visa (don't know which country the OP comes from).

If he turns up and tries to enter as a PR, then won't be too impressed!!

Old Jul 25th 2009, 8:55 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
So you've only been in Canada for 3 months in the past 5 years? If so, you've already lost your PR I'm afraid.

You have to stay in Canada for a minimum of 730 days out of every 5 year period to retain your PR status, so you no longer have it.

You have no option but to try and get another visa - if your spouse is a Canadian PR then she can sponsor you so that's one route to look at.

Good luck.
If it's his first PR card then he is still a PR until September - it's only when he applies for a new one that he will lose it as it won't be renewed. At least that is how I think it works.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 11:05 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Alan2005
If it's his first PR card then he is still a PR until September - it's only when he applies for a new one that he will lose it as it won't be renewed. At least that is how I think it works.

Not quite, when he shows up at a port of entry, and the officer determines that he hasn't met his residency, or will not be able to meet his residency requirement. He would be reported and then admitted for 30 days to appeal to the Immigration Appeal Board. If he doesn't appeal, or the appeal is unsuccessful, he would be removed from Canada.

If he is not "picked off" at a Port of Entry, when he renews his PR card, he may be reported at that stage.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

Hi Guys

Thank you very much for replying.

I still have my first PR card valid till Sept 2009, and I have planned to travel tomorow in Canada.

Why I would be reported when my ticket shows that I will be there for only 3 weeks that make its by mid of August. I back by 20 August and flying tomorow in my PR card that is to expire in Sept.

I am only going for visit. And I understand if I reaply for PR I may not get it and I have to go allover again.

But do you really think I may be reported coz I have not spend more time in Canada.

Appreciate your valued assistance else Im screwed.

Regards
Old Jul 25th 2009, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

And my Kids, their mother and friends are there woudl that help just to meet them stay and come back.

Do they let you out of airport, or they will put you in a cell?

If they report me can I come back by next flight?

Is there any rule, the the immigration office would do that
Old Jul 25th 2009, 1:48 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to take a look at this.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../enf23-eng.pdf

I cannot help but wonder why you are looking into this now. It would have been wiser to have researched this long ago. It's a long time to be separated from your family.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Oh this 42 page document is spinning my head with all legal jargon.

I know I have left it till late. I know I would loose my PRC, but till my question is that it still is valid till 2009 Sept. Would I be able to enter Canada or is it something immigration officer will evaluate to let me enter or not as per his discretion, if he is not too fussy.

Can I enter Canada on US visit visa.

I have already paid of my ticket, I know I mad I thought before its expiry lets go there for few days and come back to Uk to work

Sorry to sound so desperate
Old Jul 25th 2009, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold

Hard to say, technically you do have Permanent residency status until Sept 2009, so technically you are still a resident until then and should have a right to re-enter the country.
However, customs/immigration will see when you re-enter you obviously can't meet the status requirements when it comes to re-newing so might take a dim view on it and may not let you in.
You're only arguement to get back in is that you are legally a resident until September.
All I can say is, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes when you stand in line at the immigration border crossing!

Best of luck!

Originally Posted by pleasereply
Oh this 42 page document is spinning my head with all legal jargon.

I know I have left it till late. I know I would loose my PRC, but till my question is that it still is valid till 2009 Sept. Would I be able to enter Canada or is it something immigration officer will evaluate to let me enter or not as per his discretion, if he is not too fussy.

Can I enter Canada on US visit visa.

I have already paid of my ticket, I know I mad I thought before its expiry lets go there for few days and come back to Uk to work

Sorry to sound so desperate
Old Jul 25th 2009, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

They will let you in and as PMM pointed out you have the right to appeal what the officer does at the point of entry in front of a Canadian court.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.