Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can I start a Business when not legal to work ???

Can I start a Business when not legal to work ???

Old Nov 5th 2004, 2:55 am
Just Joined

Squizzer will become famous soon enough
Question Can I start a Business when not legal to work ???

Hi All,

Firstly, thanks to you all for the wealth of knowledge you pass on to us uneducated folks.

My wife is due to receive her citizenship papers by Feb 2005. We are in Canada (BC) as tourists until then, and will have the papers sent to us here, if they come through before our tourist visa expires. If this happens, we will not need to return to UK.

When my wife has her citizenship papers, she then has to sponsor me (her husband), and our two children. We have been told that during the time it takes for us to become legal (at least 6 months), we have to have at least $18,000 to support ourselves, and that I will not be legal to work.

We have the funds to support ourselves, and I understand that I can not take a job that a canadian citizen can fill.

My Question is this:-

Am I allowed to open my own business during the time we are being sponsored? I will not be taking a job away from canadians, and I may even be creating jobs for some.

Am I breaking any rules regarding the application by supporting myself through my own business?

This would allow me to earn an income, pay taxes into the canadian system, and may provide work for canadians. However, knowing how complex these issues can be, I thought someone out there might be able to shed some light on the matter.

Thanks in advance for any info. By the way, I'm a Butcher by trade and would be opening a business related to these skills.

Steve.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 3:57 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can I start a Business when not legal to work ???

You can start a business but you can't operate it (work in it) without proper work permit.

Originally Posted by Squizzer
Hi All,

Firstly, thanks to you all for the wealth of knowledge you pass on to us uneducated folks.

My wife is due to receive her citizenship papers by Feb 2005. We are in Canada (BC) as tourists until then, and will have the papers sent to us here, if they come through before our tourist visa expires. If this happens, we will not need to return to UK.

When my wife has her citizenship papers, she then has to sponsor me (her husband), and our two children. We have been told that during the time it takes for us to become legal (at least 6 months), we have to have at least $18,000 to support ourselves, and that I will not be legal to work.

We have the funds to support ourselves, and I understand that I can not take a job that a canadian citizen can fill.

My Question is this:-

Am I allowed to open my own business during the time we are being sponsored? I will not be taking a job away from canadians, and I may even be creating jobs for some.

Am I breaking any rules regarding the application by supporting myself through my own business?

This would allow me to earn an income, pay taxes into the canadian system, and may provide work for canadians. However, knowing how complex these issues can be, I thought someone out there might be able to shed some light on the matter.

Thanks in advance for any info. By the way, I'm a Butcher by trade and would be opening a business related to these skills.

Steve.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 12:03 pm
ACL
Forum Regular

ACL will become famous soon enough

Actually this begs another question

'If you have an open work permit, can you start and run a Canadian small business or work for yourself.....for instance I am interested in producing gourmet preserves and would intend to sell them through outlets and local shows.

If anyone could answer this question I would very much appreciate it.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your reply Mr Miller. I have a further question if you would be so kind to offer your opinion.

I was thinking of starting a specialty sausage company, making gourmet sausages and selling at farmers markets, local stores and deli's etc.

When my wife gets her citizenship papers through, she will be legal to work. Would she be able to front the company to do the sales and markets etc, and deal with all the public/authority side of things. I would discreetly make the sausages for her company, but she could claim to make them. We don't want to break the rules, so much as just bend them a little. We would not be taking a job away from the legal citizens of Canda, as without our company, the job would not exists.

I know you say that I wouldn't be able to operate/work in the business, but if it is a very small time operation, and I am behind closed doors as it were, how would anyone know of my input? If somehow my input was revealed, what would the consequences be?

We were told by the canadian embassy in london that I could be sponsored by my wife whilst still living in UK and earning an income, but that it was not ideal for a successful outcome, they favoured you more if you came to Canada to live while the sponsorship was being processed. Apparantly it shows you are more commited to living in Canada. This makes sense in a way, but it sure hits the savings when you can't work for 6 months. I don't understand how I can not be allowed to do the job that I have created. Surely having someone trying to create a business and job opportunities for other canadians can only be a good thing in the long run?

In a nutshell, what are the odds of being found out if I work in a low key capacity for my wifes company, and if found out, what would the conseques be as far as my sposorship application?

I hope you can see the questions I am trying to get across and can share your wisdom of the system on them for me.

Thanks again

Steve
Old Nov 5th 2004, 5:27 pm

"Discreetly"???

This is exactly what breaking the law is. If you don't want to jeopardize your status and your PR application then don't even thing about it.

What you were told in London is either a crap or you misinterpreted what was said. Once your spouse gets her citizenship she can sponsor you while still in UK, providing that she submits statutory declaration of her intention to move with you to Canada after you get your PR visa and some evidence of preparation for such move.

Thank you for your reply Mr Miller. I have a further question if you would be so kind to offer your opinion.

I was thinking of starting a specialty sausage company, making gourmet sausages and selling at farmers markets, local stores and deli's etc.

When my wife gets her citizenship papers through, she will be legal to work. Would she be able to front the company to do the sales and markets etc, and deal with all the public/authority side of things. I would discreetly make the sausages for her company, but she could claim to make them. We don't want to break the rules, so much as just bend them a little. We would not be taking a job away from the legal citizens of Canda, as without our company, the job would not exists.

I know you say that I wouldn't be able to operate/work in the business, but if it is a very small time operation, and I am behind closed doors as it were, how would anyone know of my input? If somehow my input was revealed, what would the consequences be?

We were told by the canadian embassy in london that I could be sponsored by my wife whilst still living in UK and earning an income, but that it was not ideal for a successful outcome, they favoured you more if you came to Canada to live while the sponsorship was being processed. Apparantly it shows you are more commited to living in Canada. This makes sense in a way, but it sure hits the savings when you can't work for 6 months. I don't understand how I can not be allowed to do the job that I have created. Surely having someone trying to create a business and job opportunities for other canadians can only be a good thing in the long run?

In a nutshell, what are the odds of being found out if I work in a low key capacity for my wifes company, and if found out, what would the conseques be as far as my sposorship application?

I hope you can see the questions I am trying to get across and can share your wisdom of the system on them for me.

Thanks again

Steve
Old Nov 5th 2004, 5:32 pm
ACL
Forum Regular

ACL will become famous soon enough

Does anyone know the answer to my question ....see above !
Old Nov 5th 2004, 5:37 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ACL
Does anyone know the answer to my question ....see above !
Hiya, sorry I don't know the answer to your question however I will be in the same situation as you shortly all going well and I have interpreted it that if you have a work permit then you can sell your goods, would this be a fair assumption? I intend selling my hay locally, otherwise it will all rot before I get round to using it.

Thank you for all you help earlier ACL......valued! School board has secured a place for our daughter and all we are waiting for now is the letter of acceptance and then we will apply for her study permit, this will be sent after husbands one though as we want to get the ball rolling (his one is going off first thing tomorrow morning). Getting a little excited now!
Old Nov 5th 2004, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again Mr Miller for the quick response.

I hear you loud and clear. Breaking the law, even a little bit, is still breaking the law. I guess I'm getting nervous as we have been in Canada for 3 months as "tourists". We have waited 14 months for my wife papers, and were told at latest she would have them by FEB 2005. We were told by London that we could not "move" here before the paperwork arrived, but we could "live here as tourists" on a six month visa, and they would send the papers to us at our address over here. Providing the papers arrived before our visa expired, we would not have to leave Canada. We took this to be a round about way of saying we could start our lives in Canada 6 months before the paperwork arrives. So we have sold up in UK and now "live here as tourists" as it were.

However, we just found out her application was lost in Nova Scotia before she was put into the system. Therefore, they have no record of her application. London is resubmitting the application, and have told us that the citizenship papers should still be with us by Feb 2005 and so we shouldn't have to leave Canada. I am somewhat sceptical.

Have you come across lost applications before, and if so, do they get rushed through as promised, or can we expect another 18 months of waiting. I don't have much faith in the system anymore, and if it's going to take a long time to get processed, we will have to return to UK to live again until it is all sorted.

I guess this is the risk you take when you try to rush the system.

Thanks for advice.

Steve
Old Nov 5th 2004, 8:29 pm

Things sometimes get lost or misplaced and usually when CIC admits that it was their mistake and promise priority processing then it is usually the case. But not always, so keep your fingers crossed.

Thanks again Mr Miller for the quick response.

I hear you loud and clear. Breaking the law, even a little bit, is still breaking the law. I guess I'm getting nervous as we have been in Canada for 3 months as "tourists". We have waited 14 months for my wife papers, and were told at latest she would have them by FEB 2005. We were told by London that we could not "move" here before the paperwork arrived, but we could "live here as tourists" on a six month visa, and they would send the papers to us at our address over here. Providing the papers arrived before our visa expired, we would not have to leave Canada. We took this to be a round about way of saying we could start our lives in Canada 6 months before the paperwork arrives. So we have sold up in UK and now "live here as tourists" as it were.

However, we just found out her application was lost in Nova Scotia before she was put into the system. Therefore, they have no record of her application. London is resubmitting the application, and have told us that the citizenship papers should still be with us by Feb 2005 and so we shouldn't have to leave Canada. I am somewhat sceptical.

Have you come across lost applications before, and if so, do they get rushed through as promised, or can we expect another 18 months of waiting. I don't have much faith in the system anymore, and if it's going to take a long time to get processed, we will have to return to UK to live again until it is all sorted.

I guess this is the risk you take when you try to rush the system.

Thanks for advice.

Steve
Old Nov 5th 2004, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Things sometimes get lost or misplaced and usually when CIC admits that it was their mistake and promise priority processing then it is usually the case. But not always, so keep your fingers crossed.
Thanks for positive reply. Keeping everything crossed.

Steve.