Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can I sponser my nephew to Canada.

Wikiposts

Can I sponser my nephew to Canada.

Old May 16th 2010, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

Josephparappally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I sponser my nephew to Canada.

My brother son he is studying in India at grade 11 and I wish to sponser him to Canada as PR or study permit. Me and my wife and our 2 children living in Canada almost 2 years and we are Permanent resident of Canada. We are having good annual income and also having own 2 houses in Canada.

What is the procedure to sponser him to Canada. he is age 16. Please give me advice. We are living in Alberta, Fort Mcmurray
Old May 16th 2010, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice
Default Re: Can I sponser my nephew to Canada.

No, you can't sponsor a nephew for PR. You may assist him financially as well as provide room and board if he would want to study in Canada, but that's all.
Old May 16th 2010, 3:40 am

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Family sponsorship is possible in Alberta, via the Family stream.

Eligible family members under the AINP Family stream include a Parent, Child, Brother, Sister, Aunt, Uncle, Niece or Nephew.

There are conditions, but these are set out on the website, along with a self assessment test.

http://www.albertacanada.com/immigra...ilystream.html

Hope this helps start your research.

Bali
Old May 16th 2010, 4:59 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Bali2010
Family sponsorship is possible in Alberta, via the Family stream.

Eligible family members under the AINP Family stream include a Parent, Child, Brother, Sister, Aunt, Uncle, Niece or Nephew.

There are conditions, but these are set out on the website, along with a self assessment test.

http://www.albertacanada.com/immigra...ilystream.html

Hope this helps start your research.

Bali
The OP's nephew is in grade 11 so about 16/17 years old, no way would he qualify for AINP.
Old May 16th 2010, 5:55 am

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

The OP's nephew is in grade 11 so about 16/17 years old, no way would he qualify for AINP.
I defer to your more detailed knowledge, but is that as he is too young or too old?

Only one of those is a permanent problem.
Old May 16th 2010, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bali2010
I defer to your more detailed knowledge, but is that as he is too young or too old?

Only one of those is a permanent problem.
I believe it's because he's too young but there's an assumption there that the stream will remain permanently open (or at least until he's old enough), this might not be the case.
Old May 16th 2010, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice

AINP family Stream - basic requirements:

The Candidate and their Spouse/Common-law partner (if applicable) must be between the ages of 21 and 45.

The Candidate and their Spouse/Common-law partner (if applicable) must have obtained an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) minimum score of 4.0, or a minimum level of 3.0 (361-540) on the Test d’evaluation de français (TEF).

The Candidate or their Spouse/Common-law partner (if applicable) must meet minimum criteria for education and work experience. Note that one individual (either Candidate or spouse/common-law partner) must meet both the education and work experience criteria.

The Candidate or their Spouse/Common-law partner (if applicable) must be able to demonstrate completion of a post-secondary diploma or degree program of at least two (2) years in duration.

The Candidate or their Spouse/Common-law partner (if applicable) must be able to demonstrate one of the following:

- a minimum of three years of full-time work experience that is related to individual’s post-secondary credential within the past four years; or

- a minimum of three years of full-time post-secondary school within the past four years; or

- a combination of three years of full-time work experience and full-time post-secondary school within the past four years. The education and experience must be related (i.e. an Engineering degree and working as an Engineer).

The Candidate or their Spouse/Common-law partner (if applicable) must be able to demonstrate that they have the following accessible funds in a financial institution:

- at least CAD $10,000 for the Candidate

- CAD $2,000 for each of the Candidate’s dependents (spouse or common-law partner and children)

I don't think that OP's nephew can meet any of the above at this time.

Last edited by crazy72; May 16th 2010 at 10:24 am.
Old May 17th 2010, 3:24 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Manitoba has a family support priority assessment for their PnP but again the minimum age is 21, however, the work experience / post grad is lower.

http://www2.immigratemanitoba.com/br...y_support.html
You are eligible to apply under the MPNP Family Support priority assessment stream if you can demonstrate that you:

Have a close relative who is an established resident of Manitoba and who is willing and able to support your settlement in the province.

Meet our minimum requirements for age, education, work experience and language ability

Family Support stream minimum requirements

Education/training: You have completed post-secondary education of at least one academic year and received a diploma or certificate.

Work experience: You have at least two years of full-time work experience within the past five years.

Language: You have enough English or French to get a job in Manitoba in your intended occupation soon after you arrive. For an objective assessment of your English skills take an IELTS test (International English Language Testing System) and submit your score with your application.

Adaptability: You can demonstrate your intention and ability to establish successfully in Manitoba based on your:

Connection to Manitoba, including settlement supports from family.

Employability, based on your training and work experience related to your intended occupation, including any licence or certification required in your country of residence

Settlement funds: Applicants should have at least C$10,000 plus C$2,000 for each accompanying dependant. (If you don't have enough money you may apply with the support of your close relative, as explained below.)

Who is a close relative and what must they do for you to apply under the Family Support stream?

A close relative is defined as a mother/father, son/daughter, sister/brother, aunt/uncle, niece/nephew, grandparent or first cousin
A post-graduate PnP under the same scheme might work when he is a little older, if he could attend college/university here:

http://www2.immigratemanitoba.com/br...-students.html
The International Student priority assessment stream is for graduates who have established strong ties to Manitoba and intend to live, work and establish their careers here.

To be eligible to apply you must have already:

Graduated from a post-secondary educational program of at least one academic year at a Manitoba institution
Obtained a post-graduation open work permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)
Received from a Manitoba employer a formal offer of a full-time, long-term job related to your field of studies, AND
You must be working for that Manitoba employer, and have been so for at least six months.

Last edited by Siouxie; May 17th 2010 at 3:29 am.
Old May 17th 2010, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

The OP lives in Alberta - the Manitoba's rules don't apply in Alberta.
Old May 18th 2010, 1:37 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crazy72
The OP lives in Alberta - the Manitoba's rules don't apply in Alberta.
Ooops... sorry, I didn't see that!

Old May 18th 2010, 3:22 am
Just Joined

Hydraman is an unknown quantity at this point

I Plan to live in Toronto and intend to sponsor my nephew too when I am settled.

Are the rules any different for people living in Toronto and the GTA areas.

(Please excuse my ignorance - still doing my research)
Old May 18th 2010, 3:51 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Hydraman
I Plan to live in Toronto and intend to sponsor my nephew too when I am settled.

Are the rules any different for people living in Toronto and the GTA areas.

(Please excuse my ignorance - still doing my research)
There is no family stream for Ontario unfortunately, although there is a graduate stream under PNP Ontario if he were to come over as an international student to study.

http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/...DENTS_JOB.html
Why are International Students who attend Canadian colleges and universities part of the program?

We want to retain the best and brightest Canadian-trained international students. They will give Ontario an advantage in the global competition for talent and they will easily integrate into Ontario’s labour force and society.
Old May 18th 2010, 4:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hydraman
As Siouxie said, you cannot sponsor your nephew if you are living in Ontario, as Ontario's PNP does not allow for this and neither does the federal program.

If you really want to sponsor him and it's important enough to you, you may wish to think about settling elsewhere in Canada? Alberta, Manitoba and SK are among the provinces that allow sponsorship of a nephew via their PNP.

Alternatively, he'll have to look at another route i.e. a work visa or a study permit.

Old May 18th 2010, 4:42 am
Just Joined

Hydraman is an unknown quantity at this point

You guys/gals are so helpful.
Thank you very much
Old Jul 9th 2010, 11:19 am
Just Joined

diaijaz is an unknown quantity at this point

can a canadian resident living in Fort Mcmurray sponsor his nephew under family class sponsorship for study in Quebec..............plz. help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.