Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can I send fingerprints to FBI before receiving initial assessment?

Can I send fingerprints to FBI before receiving initial assessment?

Old May 26th 2004, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Madhuba is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I send fingerprints to FBI before receiving initial assessment?

Hello all,

Although this is my first post, I have been following this forum for a while now and found it to be highly informative. Hopefully, I can make my own contributions as my application goes along.

I have several of questions regarding the application process. First some background info: I submitted my skilled worker application to Buffalo. I arrived in Canada 7 years ago (spent 6 yrs as a student and this current year i.e. 7th year on a post grad work permit). Also spent 7 months in the US at some point during my 7 years in Canada.

My application timeline is:

Application submitted: Last week of Nov 03
AOR: Last week of Dec 03
Waiting...

My questions are:

1. Since Buffalo is already processing Aug 03 applications I thought it might be a good idea to submit my fingerprints to FBI now to get a head start. I'm assuming Nov/Dec 03 will start being processed shortly. Would it be too early to send in my fingerprings to the FBI now? The Buffalo application guidelines state that we should not request police clearances from either the US or Canada until requested to by CIC. However, I've read a couple of posts on this forum where people have done that and in fact, Mr. Miller advised one applicant to do that.

2. The application guide says that applicants don't need to show proof of funds if they have Arranged Employment. If I receive my initial assessment before my post-grad work permit expires (Oct 03), will my current job (which is full time) under a post-grad work permit satisfy this requirement or must it be an HRDC-approved job to satisfy the "Arranged Employment/hence no proof of funds needed" exception?

3. Once I receive the initial assessment, assuming I get an interview waiver, would that be reason enough to get a work permit extension pending the completion of processing of my immigration application? i.e. does "approval in principle" apply to skilled worker cases for applicants already working in Canada or is only for spousal sponsored applicants?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Madhuba
Old May 26th 2004, 8:19 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can I send fingerprints to FBI before receiving initial assessment?

1. It is a good idea to send fingerprints to FBI by applicants who's cases were received by Buffalo by September or early October. Late November cases will most likely be already affected by larger number of applications due to lowered in September pass mark. Wait until you see that Buffalo starter assessing November 2003 cases.

2. Wrong. You don't need proof of funds only if you received points in arranged employment factor. You didn't as post-grad work permit doesn't qualify as such.

3. You can't extend post-grad work permit. Open work permit eligibility after AIP applies only to spouses going through inland process. You need HRSDC validated job offer to apply for standard work permit.

Originally posted by Madhuba
Hello all,

Although this is my first post, I have been following this forum for a while now and found it to be highly informative. Hopefully, I can make my own contributions as my application goes along.

I have several of questions regarding the application process. First some background info: I submitted my skilled worker application to Buffalo. I arrived in Canada 7 years ago (spent 6 yrs as a student and this current year i.e. 7th year on a post grad work permit). Also spent 7 months in the US at some point during my 7 years in Canada.

Waiting...

My questions are:

1. Since Buffalo is already processing Aug 03 applications I thought it might be a good idea to submit my fingerprints to FBI now to get a head start. I'm assuming Nov/Dec 03 will start being processed shortly. Would it be too early to send in my fingerprings to the FBI now? The Buffalo application guidelines state that we should not request police clearances from either the US or Canada until requested to by CIC. However, I've read a couple of posts on this forum where people have done that and in fact, Mr. Miller advised one applicant to do that.

2. The application guide says that applicants don't need to show proof of funds if they have Arranged Employment. If I receive my initial assessment before my post-grad work permit expires (Oct 03), will my current job (which is full time) under a post-grad work permit satisfy this requirement or must it be an HRDC-approved job to satisfy the "Arranged Employment/hence no proof of funds needed" exception?

3. Once I receive the initial assessment, assuming I get an interview waiver, would that be reason enough to get a work permit extension pending the completion of processing of my immigration application? i.e. does "approval in principle" apply to skilled worker cases for applicants already working in Canada or is only for spousal sponsored applicants?

Thanks,
Madhuba
Old May 26th 2004, 8:22 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Madhuba

Hello all,

Waiting...

My questions are:

Thanks,
Madhuba
1. Don't submit your fingerprints until requested. The 4 weeks or so for the FBI check is not going to affect your application one way or another.

2. You are on a PG Work Permit, it is not considered arranged employment, you will have to submit proof of funds.

3. No, you would need HRDSC approval for most jobs (some are exempt from certification). Approval In Principal only applies to applications in Canada. (usually spousal, children)

PMM
Old May 26th 2004, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your quick responses Mr. Miller and PMM.

I guess I'll go with both your suggestions to just sit tight. Furthermore, since it takes RCMP 150 days to do their police checks I guess it won't make a difference anyway as PMM notes.

What bugs me most is that I'll have to quit my job when my work permit expires and wait for my immigration application to be processed. The irony of it all is that the application process drags on because of the onerous requirements CIC has to ensure that successful applicants can indeed establish themselves in Canada.

However, I am already established here. I've lived here 7 years, have a steady job, was educated here and "know the territory" so to speak. Now I'll have to quit my job and idle around somewhere for 6 or more months and then come back and start the whole job hunting and settling down process from scratch. Is it me or is this just crazy?

What have other people in similar situations done after their post-grad work permits expired?

Originally posted by Andrew Miller
1. It is a good idea to send fingerprints to FBI by applicants who's cases were received by Buffalo by September or early October. Late November cases will most likely be already affected by larger number of applications due to lowered in September pass mark. Wait until you see that Buffalo starter assessing November 2003 cases.

2. Wrong. You don't need proof of funds only if you received points in arranged employment factor. You didn't as post-grad work permit doesn't qualify as such.

3. You can't extend post-grad work permit. Open work permit eligibility after AIP applies only to spouses going through inland process. You need HRSDC validated job offer to apply for standard work permit.
Old May 26th 2004, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

brzinter is an unknown quantity at this point

I applied at middle of Oct, 2003. I've submitted my fingerprint to FBI, it may fast my application a little bit.

Thanks for your quick responses Mr. Miller and PMM.

I guess I'll go with both your suggestions to just sit tight. Furthermore, since it takes RCMP 150 days to do their police checks I guess it won't make a difference anyway as PMM notes.

What bugs me most is that I'll have to quit my job when my work permit expires and wait for my immigration application to be processed. The irony of it all is that the application process drags on because of the onerous requirements CIC has to ensure that successful applicants can indeed establish themselves in Canada.

However, I am already established here. I've lived here 7 years, have a steady job, was educated here and "know the territory" so to speak. Now I'll have to quit my job and idle around somewhere for 6 or more months and then come back and start the whole job hunting and settling down process from scratch. Is it me or is this just crazy?

What have other people in similar situations done after their post-grad work permits expired?
Old May 27th 2004, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

spas is an unknown quantity at this point

So you say that post-grad employment is not considered as a arranged employment. So I have three questions
1) What happen if the employer states that they want to hire the applicant on a permanent basis after approval. It's not a job offer either?
2) Can it be counted as work experinece?
2) What about co-op jobs, can they be counted as years of work experience.

Thanks

S.
Old May 27th 2004, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Hi spas,

I don't have answers to your first two questions, however, as far as I know co-op jobs count as work experience if the job falls under Skill Type 0, Skill Level A or B in the National Occupation Classification list (NOC).

You can find the NOC list here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/qual-2-1.html

For a broader listing of jobs within these skill levels, check out the NOC website here:

http://www23.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/2001/e/.../welcome.shtml

Madhuba

Originally posted by spas
So you say that post-grad employment is not considered as a arranged employment. So I have three questions
1) What happen if the employer states that they want to hire the applicant on a permanent basis after approval. It's not a job offer either?
2) Can it be counted as work experinece?
2) What about co-op jobs, can they be counted as years of work experience.

Thanks

S.