Can I have implied status?

Old Feb 2nd 2015, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I have implied status?

Originally Posted by orly
My wife and I applied to the spousal program in late 2012 when I was on my 2nd IEC. By the time it expired I was in processing but not at the finish line for PR.

There is no "implied status" as such for IEC holders but you can play the game a little bit by applying to change your status to a visitor. Even that application takes a little time. I applied a few days before my IEC status expired and then I sat in Canada waiting for both the visitor status and the PR app to conclude. In the end they approved my visitor status pretty much the day after my PR app was approved (top comedy CIC!)

So I have a shiny mint unused visitor visa that was never used as a souvenir because I obviously got my PR documents through and landed.

Obviously there are downsides to such an approach. You can't work. You probably don't have health coverage in the "gap" etc.
Yup you can benefit from implied status when changing to visitor. Pretty funny that it wasn't needed for you in the end , so congrats
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 3:13 am
Just Joined

DaveJLow is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent I really appreciate the advice. I will apply to change my status in March then a few weeks before my visa is due to expire that way I have implied status to stay until the decision is made, and by then it should only be a few weeks until the visa is through
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 3:22 am
Just Joined

Just checked and I do have a letter of receipt from CIC for my common law sponsorship application so will take it to the border and see what they say.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 3:28 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

If you haven't done so already, read the wiki article on implied status - it's got the whole explanation on why implied status doesn't apply to IEC applicants. It's worth reading to understand the rationale. It's linked in the last post of the thread that Oompa linked to on the previous page.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 3:31 am
Just Joined

Thanks Schnookololy I read that one, I thought that was correct as rememeb reading the terms when I applied its just the call centre staff through me off yesterday when they said I could.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 3:35 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveJLow
Thanks Schnookololy I read that one, I thought that was correct as rememeb reading the terms when I applied its just the call centre staff through me off yesterday when they said I could.
The staff at the misinformation line seem to be woefully uninformed about implied status when it comes to IEC permits... it's actually incredibly frustrating. Of course, it's easy to say "well I'm going to believe CIC's call centre agents instead of some random internet strangers"... but we have seen it here where people continued working and then it all hit the fan later on when actual immigration agents saw that the applicant continued working and then their application is rejected for working illegally. Super, super frustrating. There was a thread not too long ago of someone who was on IEC and wanted him to keep working. He'd applied for spousal sponsorship, and the company lawyers told him that he could keep working, and he kept insisting he couldn't... he ended up having to resign over the whole mess. Really sad for him, but he didn't want to risk working illegally so he walked away. It was really bad. I felt for the guy.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 3:47 am
Just Joined

Yes I didnt believe them hence why I started the thread. Its a total joke that people who are meant to helop and advise can give the wrong informtation, I even stated their website and she said that was if I was applying outland but because my app is in land I will be fine. Hopefully the Pilot OWP comes through quick and I also have a trip to the states planned within my visa still being active so will ask the question about the WP with my spousal sponsorship AOR and see what they say.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I didnt believe them hence why I started the thread. Its a total joke that people who are meant to helop and advise can give the wrong informtation, I even stated their website and she said that was if I was applying outland but because my app is in land I will be fine. Hopefully the Pilot OWP comes through quick and I also have a trip to the states planned within my visa still being active so will ask the question about the WP with my spousal sponsorship AOR and see what they say.
Good luck, hope it comes through in a timely manner for you!
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 5:32 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I kind of get where you are coming from, it's not unique to Canada though. The US visa help line is just as bad if you read stuff over on the US forums as well.

I sometimes sit in my office and ponder on how I can get a similar job , one where my sole remit is to give out advice but where I don't even have to be close to being right and am not held accountable at all.