Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can I get a visa if my gf is offered a job?

Can I get a visa if my gf is offered a job?

Old Feb 21st 2009, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

mark7144 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I get a visa if my gf is offered a job?

My girlfriend of 3 years has been offered a job to work in Vancouver for the same company she works for now in the UK. We are not marreid, just long term partners.

Can I get a VISA to stay there with her? And if so, how easy and quick would that process be?

Last edited by mark7144; Feb 21st 2009 at 1:02 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 3:58 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I get a visa if my gf is offered a job?

If you have been cohabiting and can demonstrate a minimum of 12 months living in a common law relationship you can get a work permit based on hers. If this is not the case then you have to find your own job and get a permit on your own.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

That's great news!

1) How long would that process take?

2) Can my UK company, which has no presence in Canada, continue to pay me my salary if they allow me to do my job from there? I can work from home, therefore I can technically still do my job regardless of what country I'm in but I'm wondering if it's legally possible.

PS. My gf comes under 061 on the NOC Matrix.

Last edited by mark7144; Feb 22nd 2009 at 12:07 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 7:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

How long does what take? Do you mean the process to move her out of there via an intra-company transfer? Can be very nice and quick as she wouldn't need a LMO so could either apply for TWP via London (takes around 6-8 weeks), or could even apply at whichever airport she flies into. For you to accompany her, you would need to sign a declaration stating that you are in a common-law relationship (it's on the CIC website) and take proof with you i.e. utility bills in both names, joint bank account statement, rental agreement or mortgage statement etc.

If you want to read more about the intra-company transfer TWP (and check she qualifies) then have a read of this.................http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Intra-...ransfer-Canada.

That's the route we're going down too!

Good luck.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Hi and thanks for your reply.

I know she qualifies for intra-company transfer, my question is how long would it take for me to get my SOWP. Can I apply at the same time of her application and therefore can both of us receive our permits at the same time?

Are you saying that we both could get our permits once we arrive at the airport meaning we both don't have to wait at all? Sounds a bit risky to me.

Last edited by mark7144; Feb 22nd 2009 at 8:14 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 8:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark7144
Hi and thanks for your reply.

I know she qualifies for intra-company transfer, my question is how long would it take for me to get my SOWP. Can I apply at the same time of her application and therefore can both of us receive our permits at the same time?

And when you say bring proof of the relationship with me, where would I bring them to?
You would just apply for your SOWP at the airport with her when she applies for her TWP - and that's where you'd need to take your Statutory Declaration and proof (and proof that she qualifies for intra-company transfer TWP - list of docs needed is in that article I gave you).

So you could both get on a plane tomorrow if you wanted! No time to wait at all unless you decide to apply via London instead.

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

Wow, that's pretty impressive but sounds risky
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 8:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Wow, that's pretty impressive but sounds risky
Most people on here do it that way, as long as you've got the necessary documents then it should be fine.

Having said that, we're also going via an intra-company transfer and we'll be applying via London as I'm just not going to risk it with a 2 year old, 4 year old, one dog and two cats - don't fancy having to turn that lot around and get on a flight back if it does go wrong for any reason!!

Old Feb 22nd 2009, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

It would be such a massive waste of money if you happened to forget a particular required document
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:41 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

That's great news!

1) How long would that process take?

2) Can my UK company, which has no presence in Canada, continue to pay me my salary if they allow me to do my job from there? I can work from home, therefore I can technically still do my job regardless of what country I'm in but I'm wondering if it's legally possible.

PS. My gf comes under 061 on the NOC Matrix.
I may be wrong but i believe you're allowed to be paid in GBP for 6 months and after that you must revert to the local currency (CAD).
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by el_richo
I may be wrong but i believe you're allowed to be paid in GBP for 6 months and after that you must revert to the local currency (CAD).
What if the company continues to pay the salary into my current UK bank account?

But if you are right, would it be a lot of hassle for the company to revert to CAD?
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:34 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

What if the company continues to pay the salary into my current UK bank account?

But if you are right, would it be a lot of hassle for the company to revert to CAD?
Y'know, i'm not too sure. It will have tax implications if you're a resident of Canada yet paying taxes to UK. You'd have to speak with your company on it i think.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Alanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
How long does what take? Do you mean the process to move her out of there via an intra-company transfer? Can be very nice and quick as she wouldn't need a LMO so could either apply for TWP via London (takes around 6-8 weeks), or could even apply at whichever airport she flies into. For you to accompany her, you would need to sign a declaration stating that you are in a common-law relationship (it's on the CIC website) and take proof with you i.e. utility bills in both names, joint bank account statement, rental agreement or mortgage statement etc.

If you want to read more about the intra-company transfer TWP (and check she qualifies) then have a read of this.................http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Intra-...ransfer-Canada.

That's the route we're going down too!

Good luck.
Hi again,

we're in the same situation here and I was wondering if anyone had any clarification on the process whereby;

-i'm going across and applying for a TWP at POE (under an ICT). fine.
-my common-law partner (Fiancee) is travelling a month later and again, applying for a SOWP at POE when she arrives ( I'll obviously not be there). Is it best that she fills in the declaration form, and brings proof of our relationship (bills, joint bank accounts) and then a copy of my permit etc?

Also, how will the immigration officer know that she qualifies for a SOWP, when my job has to be in categories 0, A or B of the NOC? (mine is in A, but not sure how they'll know this?)
Old Mar 16th 2009, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

if it's too risky for you to apply at POE then submit your application to the canadian consulate listed on your gf's LMO