Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

can i emigrate to canada with a uk criminal record

can i emigrate to canada with a uk criminal record

Old Jun 24th 2012, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

weegaz23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default can i emigrate to canada with a uk criminal record

hi im looking for help to move to canada. myself, wife and 2 children from the uk are looking to move to canada for a fresh start.

i am a truck driver in the uk for 10 years now and would be looking to continue that career in canada. i havent got a job in place in canada and myself and wife would be looking for a job once we moved over there.

10 years ago i was convicted of driving under the influence of alchol. i was giving a 14 month band from driving and a £230 fine. i have no other convictions.

i have had all sorts of answers. some saying no and some yes. i am looking for someone that can give me a straight answer.. the embussy wouldnt give me a straight yes or no answer about my questions.

my questions are...

1. would my criminal conviction affect us emigrating to canada??

2. would my conviction affect my job oppertunities?

i would be very grateful for any advise or answers..
Thanks
Old Jun 24th 2012, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: can i emigrate to canada with a uk criminal record

I'm sure someone will be along soon with exact details, but I think you can submit a criminal rehabilitation form and mark it 'information only' and you will get a response telling you if you are admissible or not.

Not sure of the ins and outs of this, as I've never done it, but like I said, others on here know the mechanics of this process.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

thanks
Old Jun 24th 2012, 6:07 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to think that after a conviction 10 years ago you'd now be considered rehabilitated and eligible for immigration.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 6:13 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I would like to think that after a conviction 10 years ago you'd now be considered rehabilitated and eligible for immigration.
No expert, but I think it's 10 years from the end of the "sentence"; i.e. 14 months from now.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

I would like to think that myself. Thanks
Old Jun 24th 2012, 7:21 pm
Pretty Fly For A Whiteguy

Mr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond repute

Short of it, yes you can. Just get the record from your local police HQ. Make sure you submit it though as I believe immigration explore every avenue.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The driving ban of 14 months is not added to the sentence whereas probation would be. If only the one offence then 10 years must have elapsed since the sentence was completed in full to be deemed to be rehabilitated. When were you sentenced? From that date add the 10 years.
No application is required for rehabilitation.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
The driving ban of 14 months is not added to the sentence whereas probation would be. If only the one offence then 10 years must have elapsed since the sentence was completed in full to be deemed to be rehabilitated. When were you sentenced? From that date add the 10 years.
It was 16th may 2002. would you have any idea if it would affect a driving job in canada. as ive heard that canadain truck compaines will not sent drivers with criminal records into the usa. thanks
Old Jun 24th 2012, 7:51 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

As a truck driver, if you're going over based on that you'll need a job before you move there.

Unless you have a chunk of cash to survive on for a long while and can convince the immigration officer to give you a long visitor visa.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 9:56 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
thanks.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by weegaz23
hi im looking for help to move to canada. myself, wife and 2 children from the uk are looking to move to canada for a fresh start.

i am a truck driver in the uk for 10 years now and would be looking to continue that career in canada. i havent got a job in place in canada and myself and wife would be looking for a job once we moved over there.

10 years ago i was convicted of driving under the influence of alchol. i was giving a 14 month band from driving and a £230 fine. i have no other convictions.

i have had all sorts of answers. some saying no and some yes. i am looking for someone that can give me a straight answer.. the embussy wouldnt give me a straight yes or no answer about my questions.

my questions are...

1. would my criminal conviction affect us emigrating to canada??

2. would my conviction affect my job oppertunities?

i would be very grateful for any advise or answers..
Thanks
In Calagry, once I met a UK guy who had arrived in Canada without any documents at all., streight from British army. eventually got a taxable job, and was able to buy a house. He had some problems with the law in Europe, if I recall. He ended up o.k. No idea how he got in. He had really bad teeth, though. Maybe they took a long issuing him with a health card. Not sure.

I think you should be o.k. once you are in.

Canada treat "repentant sinners" better than US, I think.

Old Jun 26th 2012, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

firstchoice is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are going to Canada to work, rather than as a permanent resident, I recommend you carry documentation of your sentence. After 10 years and no further convictions it is correct that you are deemed rehabilitated, but it may cause fewer questions if you have written evidence of the facts.

My understanding is you can ask the US Embassy in London if you are admissible to the United States and they will give you an opinion. Not that I am an expert on their system, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that they then enter the details on their computer system. Hopefully it is a positive decision because it will probably follow you around for the rest of your life.

Last edited by firstchoice; Jun 26th 2012 at 10:25 pm.