Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

can i come to canada and wait for lmia on visiting visa

can i come to canada and wait for lmia on visiting visa

Old Dec 24th 2014, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

SUNSHINEGIRL_X is an unknown quantity at this point
Default can i come to canada and wait for lmia on visiting visa

Hi all this is situation.

I have a job with a company who are hiring 50+ TFW from Ireland and England.

They have applied for multiple LMIA's in 4 locations in BC and 4 Locations in Alberta. I myself am hoping for Edmonton.

We have already left UK and am staying with my mother in law in Germany.
We were talking and was wondering if we would be allowed into Canada to wait out the application. This way we could be doing things like apartment hunting and getting to know the area while we wait. Obviously we wouldn't commit to anything until Lmia approval.

We wouldn't want to do anything that would jeopardise getting in. We would tell them on arrival we are waiting for know and do not intend to work till this is approved.
Last thing we want is to be turned away on arrival. And not allowed back. Maybe FL can help with this question.

TIA and Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 1:38 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can i come to canada and wait for lmia on visiting visa

Nothing wrong with coming over for a few weeks holiday to see if you like it before hand, a reccy if u like. But what if you need documents and things for the application? What to do then while in Canada?
Old Dec 24th 2014, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

I already have everything. That's the thing I will have all this on me. So no won't be a reccy it's very obvious that we are coming to work we will be on a one way ticket until Imia is issued then we can fly to a friend in Chicago for a short visit and come back to then get work permit.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 1:52 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, sure foot loose will be along soon with his vast knowledge regarding all things border related.

Merry Christmas
Old Dec 24th 2014, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SUNSHINEGIRL_X
Hi all this is situation.

I have a job with a company who are hiring 50+ TFW from Ireland and England.

They have applied for multiple LMIA's in 4 locations in BC and 4 Locations in Alberta. I myself am hoping for Edmonton.

We have already left UK and am staying with my mother in law in Germany.
We were talking and was wondering if we would be allowed into Canada to wait out the application. This way we could be doing things like apartment hunting and getting to know the area while we wait. Obviously we wouldn't commit to anything until Lmia approval.

We wouldn't want to do anything that would jeopardise getting in. We would tell them on arrival we are waiting for know and do not intend to work till this is approved.
Last thing we want is to be turned away on arrival. And not allowed back. Maybe FL can help with this question.

TIA and Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all.
Pedantic mode on re bold: until the company LMIA is approved, you don't have a job, only a job offer. Sorry. /pedantic mode .

I'll leave the potential red flags I see to FL...
Old Dec 24th 2014, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

Yes I have that in the back of my mind as well but I'm being more positive as I would be more worried if they were applying for 1 or 2 but as they are applying for multiple lmia for each location and there is 8 locations. I'm a hairdresser so one is bound to be approved somewhere. I already have my approval letter from AIT

I Don't mind waiting like you say I see the red flags but I just wanted to see what others thoughts were.
Watching Canada's boarder security on tv and reading this forum and others I know the risks.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 3:57 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Why not come on a return ticket?
Old Dec 24th 2014, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SUNSHINEGIRL_X
Yes I have that in the back of my mind as well but I'm being more positive as I would be more worried if they were applying for 1 or 2 but as they are applying for multiple lmia for each location and there is 8 locations. I'm a hairdresser so one is bound to be approved somewhere. I already have my approval letter from AIT

I Don't mind waiting like you say I see the red flags but I just wanted to see what others thoughts were.
Watching Canada's boarder security on tv and reading this forum and others I know the risks.
I'm glad to see you're aware . As Magnumpi says, a recce trip is a great idea.

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Why not come on a return ticket?
I *think* but am not an expert, that a return or onward ticket is necessary to enter as a visitor. The OP would also need to check that she/they can get an ESTA for the U.S., given the plan cited.

Old Dec 24th 2014, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

Because they are estimating getting answers by end of Jan and wewhave too many bags to bring and come back and then go again. Also it's not what we want to do. We wait here in Germany or in Canada. To be honest I know it's best to wait here but I'm just so bored now.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback

I *think* but am not an expert, that a return or onward ticket is necessary to enter as a visitor. The OP would also need to check that she/they can get an ESTA for the U.S., given the plan cited.

It's not a requirement to have a return, though in this situation I'm sure it could be a red flag as I'm sure FL will confirm. Also from previous reading, some carriers wont even allow boarding with a one way and no approved residency in Canada.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 4:21 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

There is no surety that arriving at the POE you will be allowed in even as a visitor, if immigration think there is a chance you may not leave. Arriving with 'too many bags' looking like you are coming permanently and without a return ticket is sure to raise questions. Carriers don't always let passengers on with a one way ticket and no proof of legal residency. Some do some don't, you'll only find this out at the airport when trying to board.

For the sake of a month, I would wait it out where you are. Alternatively buy a return ticket, come as a visitor, have a plan B if the LMIA is not approved. Under the new system, it is not a given that an application will be approved. The new system requires employers to state who has applied (from within Canada) and why they were not hired. The old LMO system did not require this, just proof of advertising the job.

If you are under 30, (35 if Irish) you could also consider applying for the IEC when it opens in January.

Last edited by Aviator; Dec 24th 2014 at 4:24 am.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
It's not a requirement to have a return, though in this situation I'm sure it could be a red flag as I'm sure FL will confirm. Also from previous reading, some carriers wont even allow boarding with a one way and no approved residency in Canada.
Ah that's a good point I didn't think of that one. Thanks.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Aviator.

As the company are hiring a lot of people they have gone abroard as there is not enough qualified stylists to hire for all the vacancies. Those who applyfrom within Canada are still being hired but there is still a lot of vacancies.

Thanks everyone for your input. I had my interview and trade test back in August just seems to be going on forever so I can wait another month.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

+1 to Chrisban & Aviator.

I'm trying hard not to be Debbie Downer , but to me, staying put where you are seems like the best & safest bet until the LMIA is approved.

I'll also add that I have a close friend in your industry, & she's bemused at the overseas recruitment numbers you have posted, & racking her brains to try & work out the company involved !
Old Dec 24th 2014, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
+1 to Chrisban & Aviator.

I'm trying hard not to be Debbie Downer , but to me, staying put where you are seems like the best & safest bet until the LMIA is approved.
I agree with this, as painful as that may, probably is the best option

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.