Can I change jobs on a TWP?

Old May 12th 2009, 10:12 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I change jobs on a TWP?

Current situation; I went through the nomination programme and I currently live in Canada on a TWP my PR paperwork has been sent off and the stage I am at is that I just took my medicals.

Now the question is I have been offered a better paid job doing the same thing, so can I change jobs? They have British people in their company so I'm not worried about them knowing what to do, but that whilst my PR is going through I'm just worried it'll change my paperwork and cause hassle. If it does then I'll maybe stay where I am until my PR comes through. This is a great opportunity for me thought and I really want to take it.

Any advise?
Old May 13th 2009, 12:32 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I change jobs on a TWP?

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
Current situation; I went through the nomination programme and I currently live in Canada on a TWP my PR paperwork has been sent off and the stage I am at is that I just took my medicals.

Now the question is I have been offered a better paid job doing the same thing, so can I change jobs? They have British people in their company so I'm not worried about them knowing what to do, but that whilst my PR is going through I'm just worried it'll change my paperwork and cause hassle. If it does then I'll maybe stay where I am until my PR comes through. This is a great opportunity for me thought and I really want to take it.

Any advise?
Hi Emma

As you know your work permit names your employer so you cant work for another employer on that same work permit. You would need to obtain a new work permit first. In your case, because you have Provincial Nomination, your employer doesnt have to go through the LMO process. But the difficulty is that when you obtained your original work permit the NS Immigration office will have written you a letter to send off with the application saying that you had been nominated and the employer had urgent need of your services etc etc. So to get a new work permit with the same LMO exemption you would need to obtain a similar letter from NS Immigration. To be honest I'm not sure how they would react to it. Your existing employer is the one "sponsoring" you through the PNP process (they will have filled in the employer PNP form etc). If you could wait until you got your PR visa I would say that would be the safest. Failing that you could ask this new employer to apply for an LMO for you (therefore you wouldnt need NS Immigration to give you another LMO exemption letter) and just apply for a work permit through the normal route. Or you could call NS Immigration and see what they say to this "hypothetical" scenario.

My concern is that your current PR application is based on you having Provincial Nomination which is based on you having a job offer from a specific employer and I wouldnt want your PR application to be affected. I have never heard of an instance where the Province decided to withdraw nomination while a PR application is still being processed but apparently that is possible.
Old May 13th 2009, 12:33 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

My TWP says I can only work for my current employer. If yours is the same, you'll need to go through the whole LMO process again if you want to change jobs.

Ignore the smilies- I'm sat with my daughter
Old May 13th 2009, 12:48 am

Yes I know I can only work for a specific employer it's says on my work permit too but I know the place who wants me has and can get LMO's thats not the issue, the only worry for me is changing whilst my paperwork is submitted. I was told that NSNP is not related to the PR so as long as I get LMO then I can reapply for another work permit.

I'm more worried about my PR than anything else. If I can get more money then I will be able to support myself easier as it's hard right now.

I mean if it's too much hassle I can wait. I will be struggling financially though which isn't helping my stay here.
Old May 13th 2009, 12:56 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I know I can only work for a specific employer it's says on my work permit too but I know the place who wants me has and can get LMO's thats not the issue, the only worry for me is changing whilst my paperwork is submitted. I was told that NSNP is not related to the PR so as long as I get LMO then I can reapply for another work permit.

I'm more worried about my PR than anything else. If I can get more money then I will be able to support myself easier as it's hard right now.

I mean if it's too much hassle I can wait. I will be struggling financially though which isn't helping my stay here.
I would give NSNP a call - explain the whole situation to them and see what they say. I would say that because you already have their nomination - that changing employers would not be a problem. Explain that one of the reasons is the money - you are finding it hard to survive on what you are being paid now etc. The worst they can do is say "no, your not allowed". At least you know where you stand then.

The people at NSNP are SO completely nice and helpful I would give them a call.
Old May 13th 2009, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I would give NSNP a call - explain the whole situation to them and see what they say. I would say that because you already have their nomination - that changing employers would not be a problem. Explain that one of the reasons is the money - you are finding it hard to survive on what you are being paid now etc. The worst they can do is say "no, your not allowed". At least you know where you stand then.

The people at NSNP are SO completely nice and helpful I would give them a call.
I just called them, and yes they were nice and they don't see it as being an issue especially as they want to do what it takes to keep me in the province, They would also be able to write me a letter so I may not need an LMO. It's scary to think about changing jobs when your on a TWP but I feel like this is an offer I don't want to turn down. I am not changing professions you see just centres.
Old May 13th 2009, 1:28 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

I just called them, and yes they were nice and they don't see it as being an issue especially as they want to do what it takes to keep me in the province, They would also be able to write me a letter so I may not need an LMO. It's scary to think about changing jobs when your on a TWP but I feel like this is an offer I don't want to turn down. I am not changing professions you see just centres.
I would go for it then. To them, it doesn't really matter who sponsors your NSNP application - it's the fact that someone will, and that you want to stay here in NS.

If I were you, I would go for it :0). We just went this weekend to St Stephen in NB and got a new 2 year open work permit with a letter of support from the NSNP.
Old May 13th 2009, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I would go for it then. To them, it doesn't really matter who sponsors your NSNP application - it's the fact that someone will, and that you want to stay here in NS.

If I were you, I would go for it :0). We just went this weekend to St Stephen in NB and got a new 2 year open work permit with a letter of support from the NSNP.
Wooooootage cratz to you guys I am glad it all worked out for you.
Old May 13th 2009, 1:53 am

Wooooootage cratz to you guys I am glad it all worked out for you.
So am I! Fingers crossed for you - let us know how you get on.