Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can I apply for Ontario PR whilst residing in Quebec?

Can I apply for Ontario PR whilst residing in Quebec?

Old May 25th 2011, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

petepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Can I apply for Ontario PR whilst residing in Quebec?

Hi

Does anybody know if it's possible to apply for my PR for Ontario (or any province other than Quebec), but still live in QC up until the point I 'land' and get my residence? I was originally planning on moving to Ottawa and doing the CEC PR application (I hear CEC is quicker) but if I don't have to rush to Ontario to do it I'll stick around in Montreal for a while.

From what I can gather, the rules say "You can apply for PR if you PLAN on living outside Quebec", so I'd imagine it's OK.

I think I've just answered my own question but if anybody could clarify that would be really handy.
Old May 25th 2011, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

petepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I apply for Ontario PR whilst residing in Quebec?

Also, if anybody has any stories, experience, 'news' etc to share about the CEC procedure recently, I'd be most grateful.

TIA
Old May 25th 2011, 9:23 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by petepete99
Also, if anybody has any stories, experience, 'news' etc to share about the CEC procedure recently, I'd be most grateful.

TIA
The problem will be that when you submit the application CIC will note that you are residing in Quebec and ask where is your CSQ, and probably will refuse the application unless you can show concrete plans to live outside Quebec.
Old May 25th 2011, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

The problem will be that when you submit the application CIC will note that you are residing in Quebec and ask where is your CSQ, and probably will refuse the application unless you can show concrete plans to live outside Quebec.
So you would advise moving to Ottawa when my TWP is up for renewal in August, then apply for PR whilst I'm there?
Old May 26th 2011, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

We've just done the same thing.... applied for Federal Immigration while living in Quebec.

I had to write a letter explaining that we intended to live outside of QC (which we do), and I supplied proof of intention by sending a copy of the contract with the estate agent showing that our house was up for sale.

I also got a letter from the Company I work for stating that they supported my intention to move to Ontario.

It's all gone through fine, even though we haven't yet found a buyer for our house and are still here.
Old May 26th 2011, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by geedee
We've just done the same thing.... applied for Federal Immigration while living in Quebec.

I had to write a letter explaining that we intended to live outside of QC (which we do), and I supplied proof of intention by sending a copy of the contract with the estate agent showing that our house was up for sale.

I also got a letter from the Company I work for stating that they supported my intention to move to Ontario.

It's all gone through fine, even though we haven't yet found a buyer for our house and are still here.
That all sounds good and well. It's just a matter of being able to come up with proof. I am not a homeowner, so I guess I will have to come up with some other way of letting them know. I work from home and my employer is already supporting my move to Ottawa, be it short or long term.

It would be nice to be able to put off the moving expenses until I get my PR. I suppose I'll need to weigh up my options.

Thanks for your help...