Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can I accompany my spouse in Immigration Office when Landing ?

Can I accompany my spouse in Immigration Office when Landing ?

Old Jan 27th 2012, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

CannuckHeadingHome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I accompany my spouse in Immigration Office when Landing ?

Hi All,

We are heading to BC for a month long recce in Feb and my sponsored OH will be landing when we arrive in Vancouver. I have just a few questions about the landing to put his mind at ease...

1. Can I go to the Immigration Office with him to wait until he sees an Immigration Officer ?
2. Does the Immigration Officer normally ask a lot of detailed questions about the application or is it just "name, rank, and number" ? Should he swot up on the application in case they ask detailed questions ?

Thanks for any and all advice to help reduce the stress.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 8:27 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I accompany my spouse in Immigration Office when Landing ?

I am sure that you can accompany him. Landing is really just a few formalities to confirm identity etc. - nothing too complicated unless there is a language problem. I accompanied my wife for whom English is a second language but she was able to answer every question so I was just observing.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I could have so much fun with this but I wont.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I could have so much fun with this but I wont.
Go on FL, don't be shy... besides, I like to wind up the OH and he doesn't read this forum. Who knows, if he upsets me on the flight over, I can have some fun.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 10:14 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

My wife sometimes sits with me when I'm landing.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 11:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CannuckHeadingHome
Go on FL, don't be shy... besides, I like to wind up the OH and he doesn't read this forum. Who knows, if he upsets me on the flight over, I can have some fun.
Well if I did that then I would not be maintaining a professional attitude on this forum and my reputation could be sullied
Of course your OH has paid umpteen fees so far in applying for sponsorship so a $50 fee plus GST & HST for you to accompany him in the Immigration Office might seem normal.
Unfortunately I cannot guarantee that the examining officer would have a sense of ha ha when processing your OH and when asked about criminal convictions you blurting out what about that warrant might not go down well or that he has another child.
However you could always get him to ask the IO at the end of the processing for his free Tim Hortons double double and donut of his choice as he has been told that is what all new immigrants receive when landing.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 5:46 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Well if I did that then I would not be maintaining a professional attitude on this forum and my reputation could be sullied
Of course your OH has paid umpteen fees so far in applying for sponsorship so a $50 fee plus GST & HST for you to accompany him in the Immigration Office might seem normal.
Unfortunately I cannot guarantee that the examining officer would have a sense of ha ha when processing your OH and when asked about criminal convictions you blurting out what about that warrant might not go down well or that he has another child.
However you could always get him to ask the IO at the end of the processing for his free Tim Hortons double double and donut of his choice as he has been told that is what all new immigrants receive when landing.
I am totally going to do that when I land
Old Jan 28th 2012, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

and of course, he will demand his voucher for a discount on his first pound of cheese...just to help him adjust to life in Canada.

Seriously though, I will try very hard not to mention that his passport photo makes him look like a terrorist or that there's no need to check his luggage for drugs since we have been led to believe that we can obtain any needed supplies locally in Canada.
Otherwise, assuming that he can remember his birthdate, and perhaps my name, hopefully the IO will feel sorry for him (since he has me for an OH ) and give him an easy time.