Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can this dream come true?I need help please

Can this dream come true?I need help please

Old Jun 27th 2004, 3:36 am
Just Joined

albe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can this dream come true?I need help please

I am illigaly in us.My husband has us citizenship,and he is a landed immigrant in Canada. He lived in Canada for 17 years,since he was 3,and when he was 20 he moved to us.He is 30 now.I came in the us with a J1 visa.His familly and friends are in Canada,Montreal and we would like to move there.He didn't file any paper work for me here in us, we just got married.I worked as a elementry teacher in my country,and i have 3 years of experience.So,we would like to start the process in Canada.What can we do?Can we start the process ,while i'm waiting here in us,without having to go to my country,since i overstayed my us visa,for 2 years?What can my husband do?Move back to Canada,and apply for me,or he can apply while he is here,and move when i'm elligible?How long does it take,if it's possible,till we can both move there?
Thank you from the buttom of my heart for reading and maybe answering me.
Old Jun 27th 2004, 4:39 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can this dream come true?I need help please

Hi Albe

Originally posted by albe
I am illigaly in us.My husband has us citizenship,and he is a landed immigrant in Canada. He lived in Canada for 17 years,since he was 3,and when he was 20 he moved to us.He is 30 now.I came in the us with a J1 visa.His familly and friends are in Canada,Montreal and we would like to move there.He didn't file any paper work for me here in us, we just got married.I worked as a elementry teacher in my country,and i have 3 years of experience.So,we would like to start the process in Canada.What can we do?Can we start the process ,while i'm waiting here in us,without having to go to my country,since i overstayed my us visa,for 2 years?What can my husband do?Move back to Canada,and apply for me,or he can apply while he is here,and move when i'm elligible?How long does it take,if it's possible,till we can both move there?
Unlikely, since it would appear that your husband has lost his permanent resident status in Canada in that he has been gone for 10 years. If he didn't take out citizenship he is pretty well sunk. You and him better find either an Immigration lawyer well versed in Immigration law or a very good consultant.

PMM
Old Jun 27th 2004, 4:45 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but it seems that your husband is no longer a permanent resident of Canada, so he would not beable to sponsor you. Even then, since you are not legally in the USA you have to return to your home country to apply in any case.
Jim Humphries, former visa officer
Old Jun 28th 2004, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

albe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jim Humphries
Sorry, but it seems that your husband is no longer a permanent resident of Canada, so he would not beable to sponsor you. Even then, since you are not legally in the USA you have to return to your home country to apply in any case.
Thank you very,very much to PMM and Jim Humphries for answering me.I have another question.An year ago,my husband went to Canada,he didn't have the passport with him,so at the border they punched him into their computers,he said that he has us citizenship.And they asked him ''why didn't you tell us that you are a canadian?''He though that he lost his status there,just like you said,by moving in US.What if he takes care of his status,because 4 years ago,he moved back ,for more than a year,he worked there,he paid taxes,will this make a difference?I mean i'm illigal,and i know we have already a big problem.Or is there a web site where i can find some informations about forms to file,where can we file,and all this?How can my husband take care of his status and become a citizen?I'm sorry if i have too many questions,but we don't have money for a lawyer ,right now.Thank you again.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 5:30 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

There is a very great difference between a citizen and a permanent resident. Your original post referred to permanent resident. If he is a citizen then he can sponsor you, but you cannot apply from within the USA where you are illegally residing.

Thank you very,very much to PMM and Jim Humphries for answering me.I have another question.An year ago,my husband went to Canada,he didn't have the passport with him,so at the border they punched him into their computers,he said that he has us citizenship.And they asked him ''why didn't you tell us that you are a canadian?''He though that he lost his status there,just like you said,by moving in US.What if he takes care of his status,because 4 years ago,he moved back ,for more than a year,he worked there,he paid taxes,will this make a difference?I mean i'm illigal,and i know we have already a big problem.Or is there a web site where i can find some informations about forms to file,where can we file,and all this?How can my husband take care of his status and become a citizen?I'm sorry if i have too many questions,but we don't have money for a lawyer ,right now.Thank you again.